Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikon Patents a 100mm f/2.5 Medium Format Lens

An interesting development. Granted patents issued do not always translate into products for sale, but nonetheless, resources are being devoted on some level. Perhaps the 645D II is economically viable for Pentax.

first link (not english)
Nikon 100mm F2.5?????????????So-net???

second link (english)
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/09/11/nikon-patents-a-100mm-f2-5-medium-format-lens/

09-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That would be a beast of a lens!
09-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummm...I read the translated patent application.

image circle = 120mm (!!)
FOV = 126 degrees

This would be a wide angle on a fairly large sensor.

To quench the rumor a little, the applicant was Tochigi Nikon. They make lenses for industrial process control and qc.

http://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/products/index.htm

Steve
09-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Nikon once did MF 180/2.5 and 105/3.5 lenses for the Bronica.

Bronica lenses - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

09-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If they were getting into medium format, I'd suspect more lens patents. Perhaps another clue would be the lens focal lengths for normal, wide and telephoto for either a cropped or FF 6x4.5 sensor. 100mm seems a bit odd as a first lens for either sensor size but hard to say. Maybe it's going to be a shift lens for 35mm format but again an odd focal length for that.
09-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Maybe it's going to be a shift lens for 35mm format ...
That was one of the options that went through my head until I drilled into the various posts and read the translated specs. It is definitely a wide angle optic for a fairly large format (> 120 degree FOV). However, the patent was filed by the branch of Nikon that makes lenses for assembly line product inspection. If they build it, the intent is that it be fitted to photograph manufactured components as part of process or quality control.

Steve
09-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That was one of the options that went through my head until I drilled into the various posts and read the translated specs. It is definitely a wide angle optic for a fairly large format (> 120 degree FOV). However, the patent was filed by the branch of Nikon that makes lenses for assembly line product inspection. If they build it, the intent is that it be fitted to photograph manufactured components as part of process or quality control.

Steve
Yeah, I saw your post after entering mine. And I think you found an important clue.
09-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If they were getting into medium format, I'd suspect more lens patents. Perhaps another clue would be the lens focal lengths for normal, wide and telephoto for either a cropped or FF 6x4.5 sensor. 100mm seems a bit odd as a first lens for either sensor size but hard to say. Maybe it's going to be a shift lens for 35mm format but again an odd focal length for that.
There are rumours both Nikon and Canon are exploring larger sensors. As FF models push down in price they need to make up the revenues and to keep those high $4-$7,000 price points, that will mean larger sensors scaled to each price point.

And more opportunities to sell new glass.

Leica did it.

09-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
There are rumours both Nikon and Canon are exploring larger sensors.
I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing more players in the MFD world. And perhaps seeing more digital backs for legacy cameras that are priced more appropriately for the limited use they are on these cameras.