Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Colorado CJ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,272
Just Bought My First Medium Format!

I just won an RB67 Pro S with prism, 90mm C f3.8 lens and, 6x7 back and extra fresnel focus screen, all in near new condition. I won it for only $163.00!

I was looking for a Pentax 67, but the prices are a little high for me right now. If I like MF (and I'm sure I will), I'll save up for a Pentax 67. It would make for a nicer hiking MF than the RB67

I can't wait for my camera and developing supplies to arrive! This might become a whole new avenue to feed my obsessive photography compulsion!

09-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
I got back into B&W film several years ago and now have 2 645's and a 6x7. Medium format is wonderful to say the least. Enjoy.
09-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 528
Good for you!

I was fortunate enough to borrow an RB67 from somebody many years ago. Very heavy, but what fun to use! That was my first medium format experience. After that I occasionally rented a Mamiya 6x4.5 - a lot of plastic, but far lighter to carry.

Make sure you have a sturdy tripod!
09-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,929
Congrats. That camera is more at home in a studio than out in the field hiking that's for sure. I have a Mamiya 7II I use for hiking and the street that is also a lightweight camera for medium format. But rangefinders have both strong and weak points. And that's the way it is with medium format film cameras it seems. Each one having a strong point at the expense of something else.

09-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
LaHo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Denmark
Photos: Albums
Posts: 216
Congrats. Medium format is fun, and the gear is cheaper than ever. That saving can be spent on lots of film. :-)
09-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
CDW
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Big Island, Hawaii & Utah
Posts: 346
Congrats. The very first roll of 120 I ever shot was on an RB67 back in the early 1990s. After that I never looked back to 35mm and went on to shoot with a Pentax 67 and 645n, now a 645D and Pentax and SONY DSLRs. My 645n still sits of a shelf and I give it a loving pat every once in awhile thinking of all the great places it went with me. :-)
09-21-2013, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian
Colorado CJ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,272
Original Poster
I received the RB67 Pro S Friday. Yesterday I spent a few hours cleaning all the old light seals off the camera and film back and replaced them. Still can't believe how cheap I got this camera for.

Looking through the waist level finder is incredible! So 3D looking, it is hard to not just walk around looking through the finder.





09-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,249
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I received the RB67 Pro S Friday. Yesterday I spent a few hours cleaning all the old light seals off the camera and film back and replaced them. Still can't believe how cheap I got this camera for.
Good deal! lucky!

09-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,929
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
...
Looking through the waist level finder is incredible! So 3D looking, it is hard to not just walk around looking through the finder.
...
It takes some getting use to seeing the reverse in a WLF. But after years I don't even notice anymore except when I'm trying to shoot a moving object. I shoot with WLF even on my Pentax 6x7. When I need to shoot more like a 35mm SLR, I use my M7II rangefinder; otherwise, I treat my 500C/M and Pentax 6x7 like I'm shooting my 4x5 view camera where a 100% view and magnifying glass for critical focus of the WLF comes in handy.
09-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edina, MN
Posts: 248
Looks like you got some really nice equipment for very little dollars. I always thought the B67 was a great camera - heavy, but well constructed and capable of producing great results. Enjoy!
09-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Buffy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Boston area, Massachusetts
Posts: 303
Re: First medium format

Congratulations! You are going to love the big negatives and you have a nice rugged camera there. I'd love a 67II myself but I am limited to things that can autofocus.
09-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Colorado CJ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,272
Original Poster
Just got back from running two rolls of film through the RB67. I went hiking up into the Snowy's, roughly 11,500 ft. I hiked only 5 miles, but I brought my full digital photography bag (~35 lbs, I can never leave anything behind ) and the RB67 on a tripod.

Since I hike with a lot of gear (a lot of weight) all the time, I really didn't feel the difference lugging the RB67 around. It balanced on my shoulder, mounted to the tripod, just fine, much like my D600 and a heavy lens.

I should have all my chemicals tomorrow, so I'll get to develop the rolls. The only problem right now is, I don't have a negative scanner. I do have a flatbed scanner, but it isn't set up to scan negatives. I am planning on getting a V700 within a week or two.

I am going to have to find some cheaper film, or sell some other gear though. I can tell already that I am going to LOVE shooting medium format, even before developing the first rolls. It is a very different form of photography and feels like it will fit real well with how I go about shooting.
09-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,004
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Just got back from running two rolls of film through the RB67. I went hiking up into the Snowy's, roughly 11,500 ft. I hiked only 5 miles, but I brought my full digital photography bag (~35 lbs, I can never leave anything behind ) and the RB67 on a tripod.

Since I hike with a lot of gear (a lot of weight) all the time, I really didn't feel the difference lugging the RB67 around. It balanced on my shoulder, mounted to the tripod, just fine, much like my D600 and a heavy lens.

I should have all my chemicals tomorrow, so I'll get to develop the rolls. The only problem right now is, I don't have a negative scanner. I do have a flatbed scanner, but it isn't set up to scan negatives. I am planning on getting a V700 within a week or two.

I am going to have to find some cheaper film, or sell some other gear though. I can tell already that I am going to LOVE shooting medium format, even before developing the first rolls. It is a very different form of photography and feels like it will fit real well with how I go about shooting.
Keep us abreast developments, CJ. I've been following your work on the preset thread and expect great things!
09-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Colorado CJ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,272
Original Poster
Well I just finished developing my first roll of film ever! It is also the first roll of film out of the Mamiya RB67. The film is hanging up to dry right now.

I am hoping to get an enlarger in a few days, so I can try my had at printing as well. This could become a serious addiction

For those interested, the film is 120 roll film Delta 100. I developed it in Xtol 1:1 and fixed it using TF-4


09-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 671
Looks great, if you keep shooting only black and white you might want to invest in yellow and orange filters to darken the sky a bit.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, medium format, mf, pentax, rb67
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just bought k-01, my first pentax eternalpain Pentax K-01 5 12-20-2012 08:37 AM
I just bought a dirt cheap k200d...My first PENTAX. InHouse Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 07-10-2012 09:39 PM
I just bought my first Pentax cam dqniel Welcomes and Introductions 5 12-22-2010 03:06 PM
Just bought my first Pentax. I'm pumped. Moopies Welcomes and Introductions 5 01-01-2010 01:33 AM
My first Medium Format... (some large-ish images) FireMate Pentax Medium Format 11 03-03-2008 08:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top