Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Pentax 67II time exposure button question

Hi guys, I'm reading the manual now and I don't get the time exposure button.

Let's say I'm doing a 5 min exposure. I set the aperture and slide the time exposure button out and wind the film and depress the shutter release button using a cable release...and wait 5 min...

then at 5:00, Do I have to push the time exposure button back to close the shutter? I'm doing a test without the lens and the shutter remain open even thought the cable release was released...I thought not touching the camera during the exposure is #1 rule for long exposure photography.

Thanks,

Attached Images

10-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try without cable release, since in the gray box there is written "The shutter will not close until the time set with the dial lapses, regardless of the shutter dial position and the position of the time exposure set lever.". So I think that maybe there is a bad comunication between cable and camera (mechanical or electrical, depending on what type of cable you have).
10-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
Try without cable release, since in the gray box there is written "The shutter will not close until the time set with the dial lapses, regardless of the shutter dial position and the position of the time exposure set lever.". So I think that maybe there is a bad comunication between cable and camera (mechanical or electrical, depending on what type of cable you have).
I tired without the cable release and it's same. The shutter remains open unless I push back the time exposure button by hand which will cause a shaky problem.
10-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the exposure is long enough, pushing the PS.TIME slide back in to finish the shot won't effect the exposure.

If you're worried, use the 'black bag' method, ie cover the lens using a black bag, then close the shutter.

Last edited by rob1234; 10-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.
10-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are doing a 5 minute exposure, any camera shake caused by sliding the time switch will be in the last 1 second of exposure. This won't show up on the film.
10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
If the exposure is long enough, pushing the PS.TIME slide back in to finish the shot won't effect the exposure.

If you're worried, use the 'black bag' method, ie cover the lens using a black bag, then close the shutter.

I see. I will do the black bag trick for shorter ones. Thanks,
10-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 67II Time Exposure Mode is designed to save battery life during long exposures.

You can always use the traditional way and set your shutter speed to “B” bulb. Then hold open the shutter manually using a cable release for as long as you wish.

Phil.

10-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Exactly what Phil said. But you should still understand and learn the feature for a time when you really do need it.
10-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would think the only time you really need to use the time exposure mode instead of the bulb setting is if your exposure is really long (more than a minute) or if you are doing a whole bunch of long exposures. It was designed especially for astro-photography.