Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #1

SDM-55 is not working anymore (645D)

Hello,

maybe someone of you had same issue or experience with this lens.

today i noticed that my SDM-55 is not working anymore. The drive is not pushing the glass elements and there is no noise. In MF there is no focus confirmation from camera. Aperture is working somehow and the camera shows correct values and can be set by the aperture wheel. Unfortunatly there is an impact on the 645D. The display for focus point is flickering 2 times per second and the menus are not working properly. After pressing the menu button or the button for flash or drive control this menu quits itself within half second. When i'm using another lens like the 45-85 all seems to be fine with the 645D. I guess the 55mm lens hast to go to the pentax service for some repair but why this defect has an impact on the usability of the camera? My first thought was that the connectors between the lens and the camera need to be cleaned but this doesn't fix it.

BR
Paul

10-12-2013, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuego Quote
Hello,

maybe someone of you had same issue or experience with this lens.

today i noticed that my SDM-55 is not working anymore. The drive is not pushing the glass elements and there is no noise. In MF there is no focus confirmation from camera. Aperture is working somehow and the camera shows correct values and can be set by the aperture wheel. Unfortunatly there is an impact on the 645D. The display for focus point is flickering 2 times per second and the menus are not working properly. After pressing the menu button or the button for flash or drive control this menu quits itself within half second. When i'm using another lens like the 45-85 all seems to be fine with the 645D. I guess the 55mm lens hast to go to the pentax service for some repair but why this defect has an impact on the usability of the camera? My first thought was that the connectors between the lens and the camera need to be cleaned but this doesn't fix it.

BR
Paul
If it were just the lens, you'd think that the camera would still do MF confirmation. Someone will have to look at both the camera and the lens IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello Adam,

Thanks for your suggestion. May be you are right and the problem can be the 645D. With a non ultrasonic driven lens like the 45-85 and 75 everything is right but the DF-A 55 has two more connector pins. So a defect on the camera should be taken in account as well... oh boy
11-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Just a short feedback:
My equipment was sent back to me after repair and check&clean. In deed, the AF unit of the lens was partly changed and calibrated. The camera was fine and they just updated the firmware, cleaned the sensor and fixed something regarding mechanical parts near the mirror. All in all a fast and very accurate service from the guys at Tritech/Germany.