Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Missing in Action: the 645DII

I have been wondering about the lack of news of a new 645D, which does not bode well, and the vulnerability of digital cameras.
But then again, I have been wondering why I am keeping my 645 outfit at all. Even if the price comes down, I would be anxious to commit money to a digital piece of equipment which remains vulnerable to a far larger extent that mechanical cameras. I realise that the internet exaggerates the stories of products with faults, because owners with faulted products report more aggressively than those who are satisfied. Even so, for me the outlay would be considerable. While I have reduced my P645 equipment from 2 cameras and 11 lenses to 1 camera and 7 lenses already (with one further lens on sale), some of these lenses I only keep because of a potential digital version (67 4/55mm, 2.8 FA 75mm, 4/120mm, 4/135mm LS). In practice, I prefer working with my Rolleiflex 2.8C (sold the 2.8F because it could fetch more money) and 6008i with 80mm and 120mm, partly because of the waist finder, and the square format.
I do love the results from the A 35mm, FA 150mm, while the FA 75mm is OK but rarely used since the Rolleis came in. I also love the 120 and 135mm by the way, but they are just too close to the 150mm, too close to keep all of these. I also have a Plaubel Makina 67 that I may have to sell, even though it is lovely. Wearing glasses, the Rolleis rule. Only the digital 645D would change that, if it has a future.
I really want Pentax, sorry, Ricoh to commit the Pentax brand to the 645D. But I'm starting to have serious doubts that they ever will. And if I stay in film, I would probably jump ship because I enjoy the waist level finder just too much (while the P67 is not for me for very individual reasons, not because of the system itself).

10-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I really want Pentax, sorry, Ricoh to commit the Pentax brand to the 645D. But I'm starting to have serious doubts that they ever will.
I would not put too much stock in hearing or not hearing anything. All we have really been able to learn about Ricoh and cameras is that they are able to dry up the rumor mill better than just about any company I have ever seen. Their NDA's must be truly frightening....

As an example we had no hint that the DA Limiteds would be refreshed with HD coatings. No hint that a WR version of the 55-300 was in the works. Very little warning about the k-50 and almost nothing on the k-500 until just days before announcement. The k-3 has been rumored for so long that it almost seemed mythical, but none of those rumors were more than vague guesses. Nothing concrete until just days before announcement.

So I for one would not be surprised to see a 645DII within the next year. But I suspect we will only learn about it when Ricoh wants us to. They are used to playing with the big boys and know how to keep things as surprises.
10-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It seems to me that a mirrorless full frame 645 with killer liveview would be an attractive body.
10-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really want Pentax, sorry, Ricoh to commit the Pentax brand to the 645D. But I'm starting to have serious doubts that they ever will.
I have heard directly from Pentax (RIAC) executives that "Ricoh is fully committed to K-mount, Q and 645."

10-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
It seems to me that a mirrorless full frame 645 with killer liveview would be an attractive body.
I think this is a really good idea too, but I bet the same criticism of the K-01 would be levelled at it - i.e.: "what's the point of a mirrorless camera if it's not compact"
10-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I shoot my P67 with a WLF. Apart from the mirror/shutter, it is much like shooting my other WLF camera.

I too would like to hear from Ricoh what their plans are for the 645D. I would think a new version would certainly help get the some good used deals on the original version.
10-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have heard directly from Pentax (RIAC) executives that "Ricoh is fully committed to K-mount, Q and 645."

One cannot make images with the words of executives.

10-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Perhaps I should indeed take into account that Ricoh is more silent about its new models, although some sort of anticipation appears to be considered good marketing. I can't say. Without having any inside knowledge, there did appear to be a struggle over the independency of Pentax within Ricoh, and I was afraid for the outcome of such struggles, if true of course, but I did anticipate the silence to this struggle. There is no reason to do that, however.
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I shoot my P67 with a WLF. Apart from the mirror/shutter, it is much like shooting my other WLF camera. .
Because of Dupuytren, the P67 is uncomfortable for me to hold in my hands, at least with the (left) hand grip, I did not try it without.
It is a pity, because I could have shared lenses between the 645 and 67.
10-18-2013, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #9
Banned

I really want Pentax, sorry, Ricoh to commit the Pentax brand to the 645D. But I'm starting to have serious doubts that they ever will. And if I stay in film, I would probably jump ship because I enjoy the waist level finder just too much (while the P67 is not for me for very individual reasons, not because of the system itself).
So basicly you want Ricoh to commit to your work, while you haven't committed to Pentax by being a happy 645D user for 3 years now?

No news in 645D means, that there is no new sensor (as we can see with Hasselblad) and then there is no urge to renw the 645D, since it is already a great camera. Ricoh could make a second version with either 50 of 60 megapixel and the new PRIME III, but remember, when they do that camera will probably be on the market for at leat 5 years to come.
10-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ron, my post was perhaps a bit rambling, but only because it expresses various thoughts which have not yet balanced each other out. Haven't you been there with the 645D yourself, if I remember correctly? But I admit my first post could have done with some editing.
10-18-2013, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I see no indications whatsoever that Ricoh/Pentax will abandon the 645 platform. If anything, it is in development and when the 645DII comes along, it will likely be a knockout. I also find this a great time to buy the 645D as it has been around long enough to have proven it can perform and the price point has really become attractive. I jumped in earlier this year and I cannot imagine what additional features I would need to see in a v2 model...with the exception of being able to shut off the dark frame subtraction. I don't require LV nor SR, nor a larger viewfinder nor more MPs, nor better AF nor anything else that I see people saying they need in a follow up body.
The 645D is an amazing camera as is.
10-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Banned

Ron, my post was perhaps a bit rambling, but only because it expresses various thoughts which have not yet balanced each other out. Haven't you been there with the 645D yourself, if I remember correctly? But I admit my first post could have done with some editing.
Not owning the 645D, but had a few occasions to use it:

645D userreview
10-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

645d2

I'm getting tired of waiting. I think my 645D2 will say Leica S on it.... Mainly due to the slow lens arrivals at Pentax. The legacy glass is just so-so and the new amazing glass is painfully slow to market.
10-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
I'm getting tired of waiting. I think my 645D2 will say Leica S on it.... Mainly due to the slow lens arrivals at Pentax. The legacy glass is just so-so and the new amazing glass is painfully slow to market.
That is the sad part. If they were announcing the lenses they put on the road map for this year it would be different but they aren't. They have been having announcements but have been ignoring the 645 lenses.

With Leica S you even have the option of mounting Pentax 67 glass you currently have and AF with Hassy glass. Tough call, the format is a disadvantage for me. I am still waiting because it is doing close to what I need still, and that glass is expensive. Time will tell what I do.

I really enjoy the setup I have for the 645D right now though. Nobody else can offer me a AF 400mm lens and a manual focus 600mm 5.6 (well mamiya made a 300mm 2.8). I am seriously considering a supplemental Sony A7R body though to use Canon tilt shift lenses again as well as low light pictures. I will probably wait for the 8R body though in another year to see how it performs and also the new lenses... That gives Pentax time to move on a new 645D and those lenses (please the wide angle zoom). Nothing else interests me on the market now though.
10-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #15

60mp FTF9168C 645D II and cheaper 22mp FTF4052C "FF alternative" would be nice addition from Pentax.