Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Firmware Update V1.31

I just updated the firmware on my 645D from v1.30 to v1.31. I'm glad to see that no dark frame was made on a 30 second exposure.
A dark frame was made after any exposure beyond 30 seconds.

10-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

All we need now is for the custom function that purports to turn off the dark frame function (for exposures over 30 seconds in length) actually to succeed in turning it off. Or does this new firmware also achieve that?
10-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have just updated the firmware on my camera to the new one, and it STILL insists on shooting the dark frame for exposures longer than 30 seconds, even when that function is turned off in the menus. Drat!!!! I find that extremely frustrating, as it renders the camera unusable for one of my favourite techniques (star trails using multi-shot stacking). Oh well, keep going with the D800E I suppose :-(
10-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

aw, you got me excited there for a moment. I really love the 645D and the only minor criticism I have is that the dark frame cannot be turned off if desired. It isn't the end of the world but would be nice if they add this functionality.

10-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

wait a minute, from the Ricoh support webpage for the 645D (http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/645d/faq.html):

Q&A

Q: What is [Slow shutter Speed NR]?

A: When shooting with a long exposure for extremely dark scene such as night scene or starry sky, image noise (Thermal noise) may become noticeable by produce heat of CCD sensor.
[Slow shutter Speed NR] function can reduce such image noise.
Noise Reduction function can be set ON or OFF in [19.Slow shutter speed NR] in the custom menu.
1: ON:
The camera determines the conditions such as the shutter speed, sensitivity, and internal temperature, and automatically reduces noise as necessary.
Process of Slow shutter speed NR is executed after shooting.
Remaining image storage capacity display (S-LCD) will be brinks during processing Slow shutter speed NR.
Slow shutter speed NR process takes the same time as exposure time.
The camera cannot take next picture until processing is completed.

2: OFF:
When shooting with a long exposure, the camera does not execute noise reduction as much as possible. If some noise is occurred but noise reduction process time is inconvenience, select noise reduction OFF. However, the camera automatically determines sensitivity and internal temperature then noise reduction may be executed forcibly.
10-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Basically, when you shoot with an exposure longer than 30 seconds the pixels can get hot and produce artifacts. So after an exposure of 31 seconds or more, the 645D will take another shot (called a dark frame) with the same shutter speed and compares the two images to detect hot spots. It then removes them via internal software.
The problem is that the user can't turn this feature off, so the camera will always take another image of the same shutter speed when the shutter speed is longer than 30 seconds. So you can see doing night photos can be a real pain and take twice as long to take a series of images.
10-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I understand why it is a useful feature to have. But I want the 'off' switch to work - give us control and choice...
10-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The thing that bothers me is that Pentax must surely know that we 645D users have wanted the ability to turn this feature off for some time. However, Pentax has never come out and said why they haven't done anything about it. ARE YOU LISTENING RICOH/PENTAX? If there's a reason that the camera must make a dark frame, then tell us. Otherwise give us the ability to turn the damn thing off. It's certainly frustrating to not hear from Pentax on this issue. Do they even care?
Personally if I knew how to do it I'd hack the current firmware, Magic Lantern style, and turn it off. Anyone know how Magic Lantern does it? I'd certainly be willing to try.

10-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I thought your first post was implying the compulsory dark frame was not occurring after you updated firmware. not the case. I will keep waiting for the update, you little tease.
10-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry MikeSF, I only meant to let people know of the new firmware update. Also, the previous version had the camera do a dark frame at 30 seconds while up to that point the camera had only made the dark frame at 31 seconds or more. Now it's set to back to make a dark frame at 31 seconds. Question is what am I going to do with all that extra time on my hands?