Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Generally you would need to be seriously committed (and beefed up...) to take any or more than one of those MF babes with you backpacking, along with a tent and sundry survival stuff. I would definitely not take my P67 with me backpacking, but yes, on day walks (P67 + 90mm + 45mm + Sekonic); this combo would add up to around 4.5kg (the complete kit is 9.0kg). Adapting the Baby Graflex to 120 is probably the most economical and sensible idea without going overboard with weight.

11-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Generally you would need to be seriously committed (and beefed up...)
Last backpacking trip I think my camera kit weighed as much as the rest of my gear minus water and food... From what it seems, going for a 6x7 back for it and getting a nicer lens that'll sit on the front and allow it to close would be the best option. I've also been considering the Fuji Rangefinders, so I think I'd be OK with a single lens for now... especially if it's one I can use for wide angle 4x5 in the future.
11-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
I should also take a look at the MF rangefinders. Never seen an Agfa folder in person, but a Zeiss Ikon folder would be pretty fun. The Mamiya rangefinders look to be about ideal in the long run, but are a bit out of my $$$ range for just breaking into MF.
My Agfa Isolette II, Great fun that fits in a jacket pocket with ease.

11-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
My Agfa Isolette II, Great fun that fits in a jacket pocket with ease.
Got some samples from that? Pretty old lens, and I assume 6x6-- how well does it print up to 16x20?

11-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

My MF experience is a Pentax 645, a Yashica Mat 124G and a couple of Carl Zeiss folding 6x6 cameras. Of those, only the Pentax would qualify as a system and hiking with it wouldn't be too bad. The lenses aren't that big (especially the standard 75mm) and if you get the A series ones, which don't have AF, they're not too expensive (though more than the Mamiya and Bronica equivalents). Pentax 67 cameras and lenses are still highly sought-after, indeed I believe that the film resurgence is focused more at medium format due to the higher quality, and the Pentax 67 system is one of the most flexible there is. I'd love one but the 645 was much cheaper and has the advantage that it's not too big or heavy for travelling.

The Yashica is fun to use and produces very nice results, but as the lens is fixed it might not be suitable for you. The folding 6x6 cameras are small and light but their optics are of lower quality, especially regarding contrast, and with guess-focusing and no light meters, they're fine for landscapes but not really for snapshots.
11-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Got some samples from that? Pretty old lens, and I assume 6x6-- how well does it print up to 16x20?
Sorry no Digitized samples atm, Biggest I ever had printed was 12 x 12 and I liked it.

It does well as long as you remember the lens indeed is old.

Try finding samples on Flickr?

Edit: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Isolette

Last edited by Eric Auer; 11-05-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: yeah...
11-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #22

My 645NII goes mountain biking and hiking a lot and it's the best camera I've ever used in any format.

That being said, based on your criteria of lightweight, mechanical and super sharp the first thing that popped into my mind was a Mamiya 6/7 or Fuji GW670/690. The Mamiya is pricey but you could get a Fuji in your price range. I had a GSW690III (which I regret selling). It was a sweet camera for outdoor photography and would shoot reliably at -40. Needless to say the negatives are awesome in the darkroom.

You can check out some of my pics from the Fuji.
11-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter

And I forgot, This dude really knows what he is doing: Certo6 - Vintage Folding Cameras

11-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everyone-- I think I'm going to start with a 6x7 back for the graflex and see how the Medium Format thing works out for me. If I like MF and hate dealing with the graflex, there's very little loss to me.

To everyone who mentioned the Bronica ETR(S) system being good-- I've got a setup in my KEH cart for $120 the a body, speed grip, 75mm EII, a 120 back, and a standard prism. I might have to jump on it, as a 645 system that handles well could eliminate the need for 35mm for me.

Depending on what I end up getting rid of, I might be able to afford on eof the Fuji 690s with the fixed 90mm lens. Should be everything I would need. The only downside is my Enlarger won't do anything beyond 6x7, so I'd risk scratching negatives in the carrier...
11-05-2013, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The medium format ladies in those days must have been able to focus with 2 eyes, and also rather strong.
Try holding a Speed 4x5 loaded up with a Graflite like this !
Attached Images

11-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Try holding a Speed 4x5 loaded up with a Graflite like this !
LOL...
11-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everyone. Based off my budget, I am going to be piecing together an ETRS kit very soon, and I have an Agfa Isolette with the 85mm on the way (only $45 in nice shape with a case!). If I carried just the Graflex with a rollfilm back I'm afraid it would be too slow, and I'd be tempted to take a 35mm kit with me, too. An ETRS looks like it should handle well enough to remove the need for packing an MX and a few lenses. If I know I'll be doing landscape shots, I'll toss in the Graflex, too, so I can get movements and a negative 2 steps bigger... Or I might just get a 4x5 at that point if I really want it. I'd be printing up to 16x20, and from what I hear, 645 will be MILES ahead of 35mm at that size, but pretty similar at smaller sizes Tonality looks so much nicer all around, too, with the big negatives. Time to order some Delta 100 in 120!
11-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I can't imagine you'll be disappointed with the ERTS kit. Have fun! I've been looking at the prices for the Bronica equipment at KEH and they seem really good.
11-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qblade Quote
I can't imagine you'll be disappointed with the ERTS kit. Have fun! I've been looking at the prices for the Bronica equipment at KEH and they seem really good.
Basic setup was about $120. I'll have it next week!
11-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm not sure particularly what you want to know, but of the 6x7 SLR options (Pentax, Mamiya, Bronica) I would say the Bronica GS-1 is most suited to carrying around and shooting handheld. With the speed grip and AE finder it is very easy to use, and given the leaf shutter it is quite smooth. The lenses are lovely and it hardly weighs any more than its little brother, the SQ. If you want to go square you can just use a 6x6 back fro the GS-1. If you prefer using a tripod the Pentax is a great option with even more lenses than the Bronica system. The allure of the Mamiya RB is that it is purely mechanical, but honestly I think of it as more suited to studio work than a hiking camera.

If you are really wanting to go small the Fuji 645 RF models are quite interesting. One is even AF! And for 6x6 or 6x7 the Fuji GF670 is fabulous, although a bit pricey. Of course all of the above are fixed lens models.

And for portability & flexibility the Mamiya 6 and 7 are hard to beat. Personally I like the 6 best. It collapses to a very small size and doesn't require external viewfinders. Great system and great lenses too!