Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback everyone. My kit from KEH arrived-- Engraved ETRS body (USAF and control # on the bottom is actually pretty cool... otherwise I can't find what made it BGN grade), standard prism (small dent, but glass is perfect), 75mm EII lens (no PE's in stock), body and lens caps, and a 120 back-- all for $120 shipped. The ETRS system has to be the best deal in Medium Format systems right now.

Looking at 50mm or 40mm lenses, and I'll have a 150mm MC and second film back on the way soon.

Running a couple rolls of my favorite all-purpose film, FP4+, this weekend while travelling in S. AZ. Super psyched!

11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #32

The P67 is not a good option if you are concerned about weight. I took a P67 system canoeing, and I definitely would not want to pack it. If you are sure you want to shoot MF, look at the Mamiya 6/7, the Plaubel Makina, the Fuji GF670, or a GW690/GSW690.

My GS645 folder is a nice travel companion, but 645 is a bit on the small side for medium format.
11-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I was backpacking my 500C/M once in the Olympic Mountains only a few years ago. My buddy though I was nuts. We came across a wildlife photographer sporting a DSLR. He had one of the biggest Canon lenses I've ever seen. He also had a tripod that looked like you could hold up the front of your car while changing tires. That system weighed an order of magnitude more than mine. Suddenly my setup seemed both small and light. But if you're young, hauling a P67 with WLF and a few lenses is not too bad. I took my P67 up Mt. Rainer when I was younger.
11-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I was backpacking my 500C/M once in the Olympic Mountains only a few years ago. My buddy though I was nuts. We came across a wildlife photographer sporting a DSLR. He had one of the biggest Canon lenses I've ever seen. He also had a tripod that looked like you could hold up the front of your car while changing tires. That system weighed an order of magnitude more than mine. Suddenly my setup seemed both small and light. But if you're young, hauling a P67 with WLF and a few lenses is not too bad. I took my P67 up Mt. Rainer when I was younger.
Pretty stoked about the Bronica. It's only a bit bigger/heavier than our K-X. Definitely smaller and lighter than a pro DSLR, and with primes for it are surprisingly small and lightweight.

Any of you guys have suggestions for long (12 mile) day hikes and backpacking trips for carrying photo gear? I was eyeing the Lowepro Pro Sport 30l at the camera shop the other day., but didn't get a chance to play with it. If the insert is removable, I'll pop it out and into my Deuter 75L pack for long trips, but I've been struggling to find a good day hiking system. The ETRS (well, none of my film cameras fit well in it, either) doesn't fit in the body+big zoom style camera bag I have that I strapped to my chest.

11-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Any of you guys have suggestions for long (12 mile) day hikes and backpacking trips for carrying photo gear?
I've have tried several "camera backpacks". The latest one was a Lowepro Trekker AW. I'm an avid hiker and none I've tried so far work well. They seemed designed more for protection than hiking. The Trekker I had seemed made for a very large person. It was good for hauling gear from your car a short distance. But it had no provisions for water bottles on the side, food and clothing.

I just use a regular - comfortable - hiker's day pack and stow the gear in it. I use an extra long neck strap on the camera so I can carry the camera at my side like a bag instead of in front on my chest.
11-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've have tried several "camera backpacks". The latest one was a Lowepro Trekker AW. I'm an avid hiker and none I've tried so far work well. They seemed designed more for protection than hiking. The Trekker I had seemed made for a very large person. It was good for hauling gear from your car a short distance. But it had no provisions for water bottles on the side, food and clothing.

I just use a regular - comfortable - hiker's day pack and stow the gear in it. I use an extra long neck strap on the camera so I can carry the camera at my side like a bag instead of in front on my chest.
Probably what I'll do... 90% of my photography is done while I'm out hiking and backpacking, because that's what I do with 90% of my free time. I've decided to break down and get a Pelican case to use while canyoneering and climbing, but have not found a good solution for backpacking/hiking yet.

Deuter does make dedicated side pockets that lash to both my daypack and hiking backpack... I might sew or cannabalize another camera bag for some padding to add into those for lenses. My other thought is to take apart the hip belt and thread in a couple lens cases, and use a hip pouch for film, filters, etc, but that would leave everything out in the rain. There are large packs designed for backpacking with LF gear, but they're really cost prohibitive... One of these days I'll put together a good solution.
11-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rb 67

I actually met a German fellow hiking up a mountain (Kilimanjaro) with an RB67 hanging from a strap around his neck and with a tripod in one hand, which I actually thought was a good idea (the tripod) I mean. I think my Canon G-12 would be a better choice, but I suppose he wanted to publish his photographs in a magazine or something.

11-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey everyone, since there are a few ETRS users here, I figured this would be a good place to start. I know KEH has a good guarantee-- just trying to diagnose the issue:

I have been trying to isolate whether the issue is the body or the lens. I ran a roll through-- 6 frames came out totally clear, 4 frames came out terribly underexposed, and 5 frames were fine. I put it into test configuration (no film back, multiple exposures on) and started firing through the speeds. About 50% of the time, the shutter never opened, about 25% of the time, the shutter fired at default 1/500 (brand new silver oxide battery), and 25% of the time, it fired at set speed. I did some further investigation, and about 50% of the time after fully winding, if I unmounted the lens, the shutter would snap back closed, like the body hadn't finished cocking it. Another 25% of the time, the shutter would be open, but the aperture would be partially closed. If I jiggled the cocking lever on the lens, I would hear a 'click'. If I remounted the lens after that, or any other time wiggling the cockign pin with the lens off, it would fire 50/50 at 1/500 or set speed. I cleaned the contacts on the lens and body thoroughly, even though they looked clean, and the shutter fires at set speed 80% of the time. After each test fire, I hit the battery button, and every time, the LED was bright red.

I do not have another lens at the moment, so I cannot swap the lens for another test. Obviously, nothing wrong with the prism, and with the consistencies between having the film back off and on the camera, it is not that.

Also, I just noticed that the lens focuses past infinity. It will not cock when focused closer than 10 feet period, and the shutter cocks more reliably the further it's focused. At infinity, it cocks and fires properly about 40% of the time. Focused past infinity, it cocks and fires properly about 80% of the time.
11-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you shoot mostly in the equivalent of 33-55mm, and would prefer to avoid electronics and prefer light, you might consider the Rolleiflex TLR. Whenever I want to go light, that's the one I take. And a 2.8C is cheap (just make sure the glass is OK). Later models are more expensive but not necesarilly better.
I also had a Plaubel Makina 67 which is absolutely wonderful, just much more expensive… Not lighter I think. The flattest 67 you can imagine. I actually owned two copies, the second was incredibly sharp (I doubt it could be bested, and would not even care if it could, the images already jumped from the lightbed).
When I travel heavier, I have either a Pentax 645N system with various lenses or the Rolleiflex 6008i with two lenses (so far). To be honest, the 645 lenses have never been so cheap as they are today. I have watched them for four years now. If Ricoh do come out with a follow-up, as they promised, prices are likely on the up again. But on the light bed, there's nothing like a 6x6 and up.

PS
I have no digital camera; not because I don't like them, but because I'm behind the computer most of the day as well and also like a change. I do have a scanner but have not installed it after relocation - for over 2 years now. I only see the results on the light bed while hoping to complete the darkroom one day. That will be for B&W only though.
11-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thought about a TLR, but I flip flop between a single lens for everything and taking a whole kit too much. There have definitely been times when I shot nothing but a 35mm lens for everything, and other days where I was flip flopping between 58 and 50mm lenses to get the FOV I wanted. I'm moving, so I had to put the second camera on hold, but my next purchase will be an Agfa Isolette with the Agnar 75mm.

I also just purchased another enlarger, Saunders LPL 7700 Dichroic. I might try some RA4 enlarging-- as I have heard you can do RA4 at room temperture in trays. I prefer B&W though, and I'm psyched to get sharp 11x14s from the Bronica, and maybe some 11 or 14" squares out of a nice folder.

Still waiting to hear back/figure out of my lens or the body is the issue with the Bronica, though. It works fantastic if you cock the shutter manually...
11-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me too. Dedicated bags sound great, but after looking at some in the store, they appeared to me to be more of a bother than a boon.

Steve