Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
I usually lug around a Fuji GX680. Thats a beast that pretty much has to be shot on tripod. My 645N is small and manageable in comparison.
I'm very familiar with shooting medium format film cameras. I post shots regularly in the film threads here on PF from three different cameras. And I'm very familiar with the D800 too.

11-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Interesting review over at the Imaging Resource site that involves the 645D and A7R. Thank goodness for Ricoh; their tallent and access to $ will hopefully push Pentax into currency across their product line. I would love to see Ricoh support competitive products for all key formats.
This is neither Pentax news nor a rumor. Moved to the appropriate section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yes, everyone wants to compete with the 645D. And comparing a camera with the next format up is always a journalistic conceit bound to increase readership and inspire return visits. The question you would have to ask is, would anyone who actually bought a 645D be impressed by these images, or is this just a way to encourage people who might move up to an FF feel better about their purchase?

Here's what you need to know…

There's still a reason to buy a 645D. Sad that so many years after it;s launch it's still relevant. What have all these companies been doing with their time?

i use the 645d and i have still to see a sample who impress me from a ff camera. the same happen to another user who soot d800e and 645d.
is simply the rendering in sublet light, like sunrise and sunset. micro contrast and detail and a natural rendering. the level of contrast is perfect , the color are spot on, sky super clear even at iso 200.
i have also to admit that i bought the camera mint for 4900 and with 2800 i bought every fa lens out there apart the 150-300.
in addiction the lenses easily resolve the sensor, especially the corner, mostly lack ca especially stopped down. i have the a35 and with the 645d the quality is simply unbelievable. zero ca tack sharp stopped down, just a hint of distortion. the lens cost me 350 dollar.

i agree that new lenses should cost far less, and we miss new LS lenses.

all in all the d800 e and a7 are very good and id like to add the d800 with 14-28 but for me the medium format produce images that are more pleasant.
11-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
... but for me the medium format produce images that are more pleasant.
At some point you have to compromise. Do you use your 645D to snap pictures of, say, the kids running around. Do you take with you when you go sight seeing. Or take it with you to a dinner party and want to shoot handhold in low light.

What I mean is there are cameras better suited for causal use all the way up to cameras better suited for more serious work.

11-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
Pentaxian

When I travel light, I take the Rolleiflex TLR, but if I want more, it travels together with the P645N + 150mm and 35mm. Heavy just a tad; as an alternative, I'm planning on supplementing my R 6008i / 80mm /120mm with the 50mm (would prefer 40mm but it will be outside of my wallet) which is probably heavier. You get used to weight, I think, at least I don't mind and it's not because my strength is not waning (it is). It's because I want that result. Size is another matter, but I compromise here.

The Sony A7 does appeal to me, however, no denying that. I do not have a digital camera yet beyond my iPhone: the a7 or a not yet on offer Pentax FF would be the most likely contenders.
11-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I keep the K5 on hand for shooting kids birthday parties, long tele (better reach), and astro images(with the OGPS1). For my landscape and seascape shooting and portraits, the 645D is just incredible. There is always a tradeoff between weight of the pack and IQ and that is understood. I have not yet been able to leave MF lenses behind, so I typically carry my 645D with 9 or 10 lenses with me on every landscape outing...I know, that is a little ridiculous, but until I learn all the sweet spots and strengths/limitations of each lens, I just want to be prepared for everything.

It is analogous to zooms and primes, I suppose. I typically dont use zooms, but it it's a kid's birthday party or trip to the zoo, much easier to switch between two zooms and be done with it.
11-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I find that I do not take all lenses with me, not at all. I had 11 645 lenses between 35 and 200mm. Now down to 7, and aiming for 3 (just can't make up my mind well enough which ones to let go, it's pretty much academic in terms of IQ). The one I certainly keep is the A 35mm.

Last edited by Smolk; 11-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.
11-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

So much obsession about equipment. Ansel Adams could shoot great shots with a 35mm, Hasselblad or Linhof. It is more about who is behind the camera, not the camera itself.
11-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #24

A7r
http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/a7r/FULLRES/AA7RhSLI00100NR2D.HTM

645D
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/645D/FULLRES/645DhSLI0100_NR_MED.HTM

Is it just me or A7r is simplly sharper with better colors?
11-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElrondElensar Quote
I think A7r is with toomany artefacts. Fine detail of fabric is way better with 645. Way. and detail also. Too much prosessing with Sony...sorry. MF is better.
11-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #26
Pentaxian

About all of this MF/FF thing, I'd buy MF 645, If I had money for it. And use both APS-C and MF. Looking at MF pictures at here, from Tuco, MIKE SF, Jonny...ect. I'm just blown away of details and all. APS-C is good for reach and quality. FF has something from both worlds, but it is not MF.(as APS-C is not FF).
11-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread is funny. It is quite analogous to the APS-C versus full frame threads, except full frame challenging medium format. And suddenly the arguments that are used in favor of APS-C in those other threads are used for full frame, by the defenders of full frame -- "it's good enough in most situations," "it's more portable," etc,. The 645D does deserve an update, but I have to say that the photos I have seen shot with it have not been matched by full frame shots. And I am not talking about sharpness, which is neither here nor there, I am talking about rendering of a scene and its complete palate of colors and tones.
11-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Aren't the pictures just jpegs? Why are people taking default jpeg output files so seriously and making determinations as to which is the better camera/s?
11-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Why compare two cameras of completely different formats, tiers and market segments anyway? It's not "apples and oranges", but "apples and Windows 8".

When Sony issues their medium format we'll see. They recently marketed an FF system camera that's smaller then any APS-C DSLR. And at the speed they're developing...

Last edited by Clavius; 11-07-2013 at 08:16 AM.
11-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This thread is funny. It is quite analogous to the APS-C versus full frame threads, except full frame challenging medium format. And suddenly the arguments that are used in favor of APS-C in those other threads are used for full frame, by the defenders of full frame -- "it's good enough in most situations," "it's more portable," etc,.
The primary argument for full frame is that, for me, it costs less than APS-C and provides better quality. (and less stuff to tote around, etc). I got a D600 almost a year ago for less than I spent on my K-5. For me, full frame is lighter, cheaper, better quality... easy decision except for the guilt I feel not having a Pentax.

The primary argument against 645 is that, for me, it would cost far more than FF. It would DEFINITELY provide better quality and a better user experience for me than the D600. I couldn't use it for everything, but who says I need to use it for EVERYTHING?

I would totally have two systems (really three... 645DII / D600 / K-5) if the 645DII was, say, $4k or so. At, say, $12k (or $7k for 645D) or so I'm not interested right now. Bring those prices down to $7k / $3.5k and I'm starting to get more interested.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 11-07-2013 at 08:21 AM.