Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax 6x7 and 67 Light Seals Kit

If anyone is looking to replace the light seals on an older 6x7 or 67 body, then this site in Japan is a good option. You get two kits for $12US and this includes the foam for a pentaprism.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax67/LightSeal/Pentax67LightSeal.php

The shipping is $4US anywhere in the world and it took less than a week to arrive.

I replaced the foam on a loose fitting 6x7 regular prism and it now fits perfectly. The only issue is getting the old gooey foam off the prism, before applying the new foam. No glue is used and the foam has a sticky backing after you remove the tape.

Phil

11-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for this link! I am looking at replacing the seal on my TTL prism and was wondering where and if such replacement foam was available. Ordered a pack just now.

How to get the old gunk off without making a dog's breakfast of the prism and fingers...? I thought of surgical adhesive removal wipes that chemists have...when I had surgery on my hand and they covered the site with super sticky, aggressive tape they used several wipes to ease the adhesive off gently and with no tears or tantrums at all (or swearing!). It's worth replacing the foam on the TTL prism as when it begins to disintegrate it releases tiny bits of "fluff" that make their way onto the focusing screen. I absolutely hate black spicks 'n specks in the viewfinder!!

Last edited by Silent Street; 11-08-2013 at 09:00 PM.
11-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Those wipes sounds like a good idea. I used isopropyl alcohol applied with a q-tip, to soften the old seals. Then I used a tooth pick or my finger nail to scrape the loose goop off, then a paper towel with a bit more alcohol to clean up the surface.

Thank goodness the glass part of the prism is slightly raised with a rim, so the job was fairly easy and no prints or goop got on the glass.

Phil.
11-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you notice in the video that he is applying foam to the focusing screen dash on the camera rather than the base of the pentaprism, as you have described? The significance of what he is doing is not known — it's not something that came across as normal; I suspect doing it that way would not allow the prism to sit or lock correctly.

The adhesive removal wipes I mentioned (I have 7 left from the batch they gave me) have siloxanes (silicone-based) as their active solvent; isopropyl alcohol stings badly and can dry the skin. Of course, the pentaprism of the 67 shouldn't mind a sting here and there, but I'll be gentle!

11-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Like how he lets the camera fall over in the video? Probably good there is no sound track!
11-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
Like how he lets the camera fall over in the video? Probably good there is no sound track!
Oh, a falling 67 is the least of his concerns; in one fleeting scene he appears to stab the shutter curtain with his thumb...
11-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Did you notice in the video that he is applying foam to the focusing screen dash on the camera rather than the base of the pentaprism, as you have described? The significance of what he is doing is not known — it's not something that came across as normal; I suspect doing it that way would not allow the prism to sit or lock correctly.

The adhesive removal wipes I mentioned (I have 7 left from the batch they gave me) have siloxanes (silicone-based) as their active solvent; isopropyl alcohol stings badly and can dry the skin. Of course, the pentaprism of the 67 shouldn't mind a sting here and there, but I'll be gentle!
Yep the prism foam can be used on a camera body around the focus screen or on a prism as they are the same size.

For my 6x7 body the screen foam was still ok as a newer 67 prism fit fine and did not move. I tested the loose 6x7 prism on my 67 and it was also loose. So for me I just needed to replace the foam on the prism itself.

Phil.

11-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep the prism foam can be used on a camera body around the focus screen or on a prism as they are the same size.

For my 6x7 body the screen foam was still ok as a newer 67 prism fit fine and did not move. I tested the loose 6x7 prism on my 67 and it was also loose. So for me I just needed to replace the foam on the prism itself.

Phil.

There is no evidence of foam on the focusing screen dash of my 67. Interesting that the foam can be placed either there or on the prism (but probably not both?) Is there meant to be foam here additional to the foam seal on the TTL prism?
I plan only on replacing the foam on the prism.
11-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
There is no evidence of foam on the focusing screen dash of my 67. Interesting that the foam can be placed either there or on the prism (but probably not both?) Is there meant to be foam here additional to the foam seal on the TTL prism?
I plan only on replacing the foam on the prism.
Yeah you are right, none on my 67 but my 6x7 does. Must be one of the changes made when the 67 was released.

Phil.
11-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah you are right, none on my 67 but my 6x7 does. Must be one of the changes made when the 67 was released.

Phil.
He was using an old Asahi Pentax body in the video so it seems a probable hypothesis that when the 6x7 was re-engineered into the 67, Pentax decided to get by with foam on the underside of the prism. After all, imagine the diorama and tantrums of getting sticky foam debris on the focusing screen (!). One of my friends has an Asahi-Pentax/Honeywell 6x7 body so will have a look at what's under the hood. The prism, sorry...
01-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I bought that kit and found that the seals did not stick properly to the door. Has anyone else encountered any such thing?
01-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
I bought that kit and found that the seals did not stick properly to the door. Has anyone else encountered any such thing?
Which part of the door? The door-length groove or... ?
You need to press the seal down as you move along. If all trace of residue from the old seals is not removed (and this is the tricky and gooey part...), there is a strong likelihood of uneven seating of the new seal. I have two sets of the 67 light seal kit and was working pretty full-on with just the pentaprism alone, fearful of balsing the job up because of the extremely fiddly nature: it's quite labour-intensive; can't speak of the light seals for the door but looking at the extremely narrow space I think I would shy away from that job.