Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
645D Dark Frame Work Around

Those of us who shoot with the 645D are all too familiar with the dark frame issue that occurs beyond 30 seconds. Does anyone know what would happen if the camera was turned off during this time.
Would nothing happen? Would the camera continue with the dark frame process and then shut off? Or would the camera immediately close the shutter and power off so I wouldn't have to wait the entire length of the exposure? I'm not sure if this could damage to the camera either so I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks

11-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Speaking from experience (and that is with a K-7 which could not disable that feature), nothing happens. The camera continues to take the dark frame and eventually turns itself off (after it saves the picture to the card). If you really want to shut it off i suppose you have pull the battery out in which case it may get damaged. I remember one time I took a star trail shot of about 50 min. Turned off the camera and drove home. When I got home the picture was still being processed. I would imagine would be the same with the 645D
11-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you turn the camera off, it definitely still does the dark frame thing. If you pull the battery out, it not only stops the dark frame, it does not record the actual shot. So this is not a workaround sadly. Not that it would have helped me anyway, because the stacking method I use for star trails requires taking multiple shots (each of well over 30 secs) with no delay between them (or as little as opening and closing the shutter inevitably involves).
11-14-2013, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I just wish Pentax would release firmware that allow the dark frame function to be turned off altogether when that custom function is selected.

11-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I too wish they would release a firmware update for this. Would make my night shooting far more efficient.
[subscribing to thread for future discussion]