Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
Waist level finder 67

I have got a WLF for my 67 system arriving next week

I have almost no experience with a WLF, so it will be really interesting to explore this field of photography.
A good light meter (Pentax Spotmeter V or Gossen Spotmaster perhaps?) will soon have to be added,
since I only have an old one with no spot metering. I have used the metered prism in the system so far.

Since I have both the 6X7 MLU and the 67II and the WLF is interchangeable on both Im wondering,
if the ‘broken chain‘ syndrome of the first is also ‘interchangeable‘ , is a possible on the second as well?
Is it necessary to dismount the lens before switching finders (AE <> WLF) safely on the 67II?
As I understand the problem, it occurs if you dis-/mount a lens, while a finder is not mounted on a 6X7.
So the precaution is to never do both at the same time.

Any word of advise is much appreciated.

Regards


Last edited by jt_cph_dk; 12-01-2013 at 03:04 AM.
12-01-2013, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
I have got a WLF for my 67 system arriving next week

I have almost no experience with a WLF, so it will be really interesting to explore this field of photography.
A good light meter (Pentax Spotmeter V or Gossen Spotmaster perhaps?) will soon have to be added,
since I only have an old one with no spot metering. I have used the metered prism in the system so far.

Since I have both the 6X7 MLU and the 67II and the WLF is interchangeable on both Im wondering,
if the ‘broken chain‘ syndrome of the first is also ‘interchangeable‘ , is a possible on the second as well?
Is it necessary to dismount the lens before switching finders (AE <> WLF) safely on the 67II?
As I understand the problem, it occurs if you dis-/mount a lens, while a finder is not mounted on a 6X7.
So the precaution is to never do both at the same time.

Any word of advise is much appreciated.

Regards
The "ttl meter chain" on the 6x7 & 67 was removed on the 67II as part of the camera/ttl metered prism redesign. The AE prism on the 67II works like any of the other finders and there are no steps to follow when removing it.

Phil.
12-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Snobsville & Hipsterville, Vic AUS
Posts: 451
Master spot and incident reading with whatever meter you have (Sekonic has an excellent range), and get a handle on correct metering when there is e.g. a polariser on the lens at maximum effect (typically +1.5 to +2.0 over baseline metered reading; with pro-level Sekonic meters, the ISO2 button will tell you instantly the compensated value, and it is variable) or a red filter. The WLF, like the chimney finder, provides a 100% field of view compared to the 6x7 / 67 standard TTL prism which has a cut-off of 10%, which can be darned annoying but with experience easily dealt with.
12-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The "ttl meter chain" on the 6x7 & 67 was removed on the 67II as part of the camera/ttl metered prism redesign. The AE prism on the 67II works like any of the other finders and there are no steps to follow when removing it.

Phil.
Thank´s Phil ... nice to have that ‘possible of my mind

12-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Master spot and incident reading with whatever meter you have (Sekonic has an excellent range), and get a handle on correct metering when there is e.g. a polariser on the lens at maximum effect (typically +1.5 to +2.0 over baseline metered reading; with pro-level Sekonic meters, the ISO2 button will tell you instantly the compensated value, and it is variable) or a red filter. The WLF, like the chimney finder, provides a 100% field of view compared to the 6x7 / 67 standard TTL prism which has a cut-off of 10%, which can be darned annoying but with experience easily dealt with.
A pile of thoughts and practice in those few lines of advise ... thanks (I will probably still be investigating into that in say 25 years). Im actually thinking of doing metering with my LX to begin with ... and my old Gossen Sixtomat (very old—but not to bad). A 500US+ Sekonic is a long shot for me right now and will take some saving (and less film to shoot!). Thank´s again
12-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
Got it already! So nice ...
12-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
Here are some pics of the 67II with the WLF mounted:


12-04-2013, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
Here are some pics of the 67II with the WLF mounted:

Very nice!

Phil.

12-20-2013, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member
revdocjim's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mt. Akagi, Gunma Prefecture
Posts: 374
QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
Is it necessary to dismount the lens before switching finders (AE <> WLF) safely on the 67II?
As I understand the problem, it occurs if you dis-/mount a lens, while a finder is not mounted on a 6X7.
So the precaution is to never do both at the same time.
As mentioned above, there is no chain on the 67ii so no worries there. And with the 6x7 and 67, your first statement is correct. Always take the lens off before switching finders, particularly if one of them is the AE finder. But the second part seems wrong. If no finder is mounted you can mount and dismount lenses as much as you want, no problem. Just make sure that if you are switching finders, you must remove the lens first and switch finders with no lens attached to the camera.
12-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
As mentioned above, there is no chain on the 67ii so no worries there. And with the 6x7 and 67, your first statement is correct. Always take the lens off before switching finders, particularly if one of them is the AE finder. But the second part seems wrong. If no finder is mounted you can mount and dismount lenses as much as you want, no problem. Just make sure that if you are switching finders, you must remove the lens first and switch finders with no lens attached to the camera.
Thank´s

In the Operating Manual, TTL Pentaprism Finder For Asahi Pentax 6x7 the instructions for (safely!) mounting the finder and lens are as follows:

"Mounting
1. After removing the standard pentaprism or other viewing unit, remove the lens from the camera body. This is necessary to properly position the diafragm coupling slide on the viewfinder frame for solid connection with the diafragm coupling pin on the Pentaprism Finder.
2. Attach the shutter speed dial adaptor (supplied with Pentaprism Finder) onto the shutter dial on the camera body.
3. Mount the Pentaprism Finder securely on the camera body, making sure that the lock pins »click«.
4. Turn the shutter dial on the Finder until the coupling pin drops into the slot of the shutter dial on the camera body.
When the pin drops, you will hear a distict »click«.
5. Turn the shutter dial adaptor. Make sure that both shutter dials turn simultaneously.
6. Re-mount the lens on the camera body.

Function
..
*The Pentaprism Finder can safely be removed from the camera body with the lens on."

(..use alternative viewing unit and then return to Mounting, step 1. etc. to mount the TTL Pentaprism Finder again.)

The last line is confusing, is it not ...
The caution is for the TTL Pentaprism Finder only.

Last edited by jt_cph_dk; 12-20-2013 at 04:37 AM.
12-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
Thank´s

In the Operating Manual, TTL Pentaprism Finder For Asahi Pentax 6x7 the instructions for (safely!) mounting the finder and lens are as follows:

"Mounting
1. After removing the standard pentaprism or other viewing unit, remove the lens from the camera body. This is necessary to properly position the diafragm coupling slide on the viewfinder frame for solid connection with the diafragm coupling pin on the Pentaprism Finder.
2. Attach the shutter speed dial adaptor (supplied with Pentaprism Finder) onto the shutter dial on the camera body.
3. Mount the Pentaprism Finder securely on the camera body, making sure that the lock pins »click«.
4. Turn the shutter dial on the Finder until the coupling pin drops into the slot of the shutter dial on the camera body.
When the pin drops, you will hear a distict »click«.
5. Turn the shutter dial adaptor. Make sure that both shutter dials turn simultaneously.
6. Re-mount the lens on the camera body.

Function
..
*The Pentaprism Finder can safely be removed from the camera body with the lens on."

(..use alternative viewing unit and then return to Mounting, step 1. etc. to mount the TTL Pentaprism Finder again.)

The last line is confusing, is it not ...
The caution is for the TTL Pentaprism Finder only.
Yeah it's not the best written instructions that I have seen. But in the end it's only the TTL prism on the 6x7 & 67 that you have to worry about. You can remove the other viewfinders from these two cameras with the lens attached, with no worries about breaking the chain. It's only the TTL prism that's the issue.

Phil.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
67ii, camera, finder, lens, medium format, waist level finder, wlf
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax waist-level finder FF-1 rare smilex Sold Items 2 08-19-2011 12:57 PM
Wanted - Acquired: Pentax 67 Folding Focus Hood (waist level finder) goddo31 Sold Items 2 08-16-2011 09:18 PM
645NII waist level finder tonysemone Pentax Medium Format 3 11-16-2010 05:11 PM
Waist Level Finder for 67 Swift1 Pentax Medium Format 5 10-06-2009 12:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top