Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #1

Time for innovation

I am hoping Ricoh does some *innovative* things with Pentax.
The K3 looks like a good start. Though given how long R&D takes it was probably present but needed funding for a good launch.

Now Pentax needs (as I see it)
#1 A pro support program
#2 Expand the lens lineup
#3 Fix the AF speed/accuracy issues
#4 A new an innovative product for the pro
In the past I wondered about turning the sensor vertical, like the Fuji GA/GS645.
#5 Take the 645 sensor and put it into a folder body like the GS645, or a p&s body like the GA645.
Make 40 mp quick and easy.
It may be an older sensor by today's standards, but the format and potential price point could be awesome.

Of course Ricoh/Pentax may never be "pro" with the small sensor.
Imnsho, any attempt to win second place will guarantee 3rd place at best.
Their sights are set too low. If you're going to play with the big boys you've got to play their game.
(I've been a Pentax shooter since 1980.)

12-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

Obligatory full frame request post here!

Actually, pro just means you make it make money.

Also, Pentax needs to up the game in MF because you have FF cameras that have pretty much caught up to the 645D. I'd say take that sucker to 60 or 80mp, expand the ISO, make sure there's awesome weathersealing, and add in crop modes and an adapter for using FF/APS-C lenses, then keep it at a 5k price point, but of course that's not likely to happen, but if it did then they could have an absolute game changer for professionals.
12-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
There are fantasies and there are realistic engineering targets.
5K for 80mp is not practical these days.
But things like a vertical format sensor are easily accomplished.
Ever use a Fuji 645? They are a joy for weddings and other times for shooting people.
After all, people are vertical creatures and all other (afaik) 645 cameras are horizontal frames.
12-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

While I've done some paid jobs shooting people, most of my people shooting is simply quick shots. I'd much rather do landscapes and wildlife, so vertical is out for me, and I imagine most will feel the same. That's why most are horizontal frames.

I do realize that 5k is likely not going to be doable for a sensor of the resolution I'd like to see, but I don't think 7-10k is out of the question. Tech improves and prices fall. You can reuse the body from the old 645D rather than developing a new one.