Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Back in the days when film was the only option for shooting, magazines definitely had a preference for medium format over 35mm. Many of my submissions were a combination of 6x7 and 35mm. They never chose the 35mm. Travel magazines would take 35mm though. It depended on the publisher. Today, digital has blurred the lines between FF and MF so now publishers need other criteria to weed out photographers. Talent is only a minor consideration. Cronyism seems to matter more than any other aspect.

12-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't they use iphones nowadays?
They do at the Chicago Sun Times.
12-14-2013, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

One reason that no one seems to mention is that the front cover, or the other pages for that matter, of the magazine aren't necessarily the only mediums in which the photo could be used. The same image used on the front cover of Vogue could also be used on a billboard or on the side of a bus. I think the reason for MF is found in the bigger picture here.
12-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #19

I guess a lot of it is habit. I decided to switch to medium format almost 25 years ago, when medium format clearly offered better tones. Today, medium format is often better than smaller sensors, but smaller sensors frequently offer similar image quality as the medium format film images of the 90ies. Still, with the increase in medium format image quality, the expectations of art directors and editors changed as well, and with it new standards for magazine covers.

12-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Well I don't think there is a reason to make it needed to use at least a Pentax 645D for such work.

I'm talking with a magazine to deliver the cover for their first issue, coming out in early spring, new magazine. Lucky me I took that image with the Pentax 645D
12-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I don't think there is a reason to make it needed to use at least a Pentax 645D for such work.

I'm talking with a magazine to deliver the cover for their first issue, coming out in early spring, new magazine. Lucky me I took that image with the Pentax 645D
Congrats! It prides me to see Pentaxians supplying publications with images! WOOP!
12-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Hi Scoot; here are some published Pentaxian images. All but one are Pentax 67.
Flickr: srasmuss' Photostream
12-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Hi Scoot; here are some published Pentaxian images. All but one are Pentax 67.
Flickr: srasmuss' Photostream
Oh those are so cool! Thanks for sharing! Great shots! Thanks!

01-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #24
Inactive Account

My first (and only) magazine cover was with a Leica D-Lux5. I think Time used some phone pics for a hurricane.

It all depends on the magazine. For a long time Arizona Highway would only accept 4x5 film, no digital at all. But when magazines realized that so many folks would gladly give them photos for free, they stopped caring about what it was shot with for the most part.
01-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
Editors have their reasons, some based on current practices, some based on experience, and some just because. I had one photo published in a college sports magazine using a K-5. When they saw the quality of image, they used it over two pages!
01-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My goodness, are we starting to develop a "you have to have MF" taking over from the "you have to have FF" cult, with equally debatable assumptions? Scary.
at least Pentax already have a MF format solution out for that line of debate.
01-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

So Pentax must be doing very, very good... after all, all magazines needs to have at least one 645D in their shop
01-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #28

I took a photo with the Pentax Optio WG-2 that ran as a double page spread. Most magazines are printing at ~150 dpi so any reasonably modern digital camera can do it.
01-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Forgive my bad memory,, this was years ago. and there are blank spots in my memory,,,but ,i recall reading somewhere that the requirement for medium format and large format and even 300dpi was in some way related to how the image was printed.. Back then they layed the color down in sheets of ink , i think it was called Offset printing, this was the best method for large run publication production due to the speed. however,, keeping the different colors aligned properly was difficult. somehow,, and this is where my memory goes completely blank,, somehow the larger image made the "Computer to Film " conversion and converting to the proper CMYK color model and the offset plate making and alignment easier, as opposed to taking a small photo and having to enlarge it for printing and then color conversion thus loosing detail and amplifying noise.. But now there is digital printing and resampling or interpolation and "computer to plate" processing and etc etc, which makes smaller images easier to print with quality.
Still, the larger images from the medium format makes the publishers job easier because they don't have to enlarge it, but often actually end up reducing it thus retaining and sometimes enhancing the "apparent" or "perceptive" sharpness of the final print.

Last edited by OldNoob; 01-14-2014 at 09:40 PM.
01-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are there still magazines?