Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax 67II and AF 500 FTZ?

Hi,
Since about two weeks I am the proud owner of a 67II. Now I purchased a AF 500 FTZ in order to use the cameras TTL abilities. Together with the flash I got a short cord with a 5-pinned connector an both sides. It put it into the cameras 5P sync terminal and into that on the side of the flash. Unfortunately, they donīt seem to "communicate" with each other when I switch on the flash and press down the shutter release button half way, thereīs no flash sign and thereīs no 1/30 exposure time visible... Can you imagine what went wrong? It is not the flashes fault as it works very well when used with my 645N. In the 67IIs manual it reads, that for any kind of flash, the wooden hot shoe grip is required. So do you think the direct connection between the cameras and the flahes 5P sync terminal doesnīt work? Perhapes the cord belongs to the hot shoe grip (that I donīt have) and needs to be used with it? Anynone using the Pentax 67II with the AF 500 FTZ?
Thank you!

12-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the 67II and just recently purchased the AF500FTZ as well.

I have used the flash only on my 67II flash grip and this combo supports TTL Auto flash with no issues.

From reading the AF500FTZ manual the connection you are using does not support TTL and the flash is being treated like a slave unit, which will only work in manual mode.

To use the flash TTL functions you pretty well need to get the 67II flash grip. Pentax does make a Hot Shoe Adapter 5P but it needs a hot shoe to connect to, which the 67II does not have, unless you are using the 67II flash grip.

Phil.
12-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick reply, Phil. I reacted just two minutes ago by getting the 67II wooden grip with hot shoe from EBay :-)
12-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
Thank you for the quick reply, Phil. I reacted just two minutes ago by getting the 67II wooden grip with hot shoe from EBay :-)
Good news that will do the trick!

Phil.

PS:
If you need an AF500FTZ manual I have one that you can have that’s in German. PM me and we can work out something for the postage.

Last edited by gofour3; 12-14-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
12-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind offer. I already have this manual. Seems, I overread the information you gave me.
12-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Phil,
The hotshoe grip just arrived and it works very well with my Pentax 67II together with the AF280T. But the 500 FTZ still refuses working for me. When I try to use it with my Pentax 67II, the Camerapanel doesnīt show the flash symbol and doesnīt switch to 1/30sec. The "ready" light flickers and after a few seconds disapears. When I put it on my 645N, the camera shows both flash symbol and 1/60 sec, but the flash doesnīt fire when releasing the camera shutter.... Did you ever experience something like this? Or do you think this means that the camera is out of working order? I am happy for the 280T delivering me TTL abilities, but yet the 500 FTZ is a much more powerful flashlight..
Thank you for your reply! (or anybody else able to help me with his/her experience)
12-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
Hi Phil,
The hotshoe grip just arrived and it works very well with my Pentax 67II together with the AF280T. But the 500 FTZ still refuses working for me. When I try to use it with my Pentax 67II, the Camerapanel doesnīt show the flash symbol and doesnīt switch to 1/30sec. The "ready" light flickers and after a few seconds disapears. When I put it on my 645N, the camera shows both flash symbol and 1/60 sec, but the flash doesnīt fire when releasing the camera shutter.... Did you ever experience something like this? Or do you think this means that the camera is out of working order? I am happy for the 280T delivering me TTL abilities, but yet the 500 FTZ is a much more powerful flashlight..
Thank you for your reply! (or anybody else able to help me with his/her experience)
Hi and Merry Christmas:

A couple things to verify first:

1) The AF500FTZ mode needs to be set to TTL. (Should be automatically selected when you turn on the flash)
2) The small 5P cables needs to be connected from the 67II flash grip to the 67II 5P port. (See picture)
3) The flash on/off switch is not set to "SL" for slave.

Phil.

Attached Images

12-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Merry Christmas!
Thank you for the quick reply and the foto. I did everything on your list. But I donīt have the original, very short cable that links the Cameraport with the hot shoe. I got a 10cm cable (original Pentax-product with the 5 Pin connectors)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ10  Photo 
12-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like everything is connected properly and the AF280T works ok, so I think the P67II is not the issue.

The AF500FTZ could be the problem, as you are also having issues with it on your 645 where it will not fire after pressing the shutter?

Other than trying a fresh new set of four batteries, I’m not sure what else to suggest. When the flash is charged the red light should stay on for 3 minutes before the auto power off feature kicks in.

My AF500FTZ & 67II do show the correct shutter speed of 1/30 and the flash symbol in the 67II viewfinder when you half press the shutter. The flash also fires with no issues.

Phil.
12-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I think I will have to go on with my AF280T... Thank you for the helpful replies!
Ole