Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
JFLee, what is the tripod/head you are going to take with you (brand/type)? I am looking for a tripod in exactly this dimension - for hiking

12-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
JFLee, what is the tripod/head you are going to take with you (brand/type)? I am looking for a tripod in exactly this dimension - for hiking
Just as an observation, if you are going to take the 67 / 6x7 you will need a very sturdy tripod with no twist or vibration transfer. Four- and three-section leg tripods with a solid ball head on a short column designed specifically for heavy cameras (anything from 67 to Bronicas to very big Hassies). My own tripod is a Manfrotto 190CF and a Manfrotto Mg head with spirit levels (the 67 is a pain in the arse to level without the grid screen, which would useful indeed, as I have it in my EOS 1N and 1V cameras). I've had many tripods and ball heads in my time but this admittedly weighty and solid combination has yet to let me down. If people are going to cart along 3 or 4 heavy cameras, I say 'go for it!' and pack in 3.2kg tripod (preferably with foot spikes); a tripod is the 67's best friend. I have known photographers carrying two 67 bodies, four lenses and a 15kg tripod. Mind you, in difficult terrain it has fallen to other members of the walking party to carry this stuff — not good.
01-01-2014, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

if you can carry all that, I envy you. happytrails.
01-01-2014, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

My wife and I are about to go out snow shoeing in a blizzard and I'm debating whether to take the 67ii or the 645N... I guess we all have a little "crazy" in us somewhere!

01-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
My wife and I are about to go out snow shoeing in a blizzard and I'm debating whether to take the 67ii or the 645N... I guess we all have a little "crazy" in us somewhere!
Snowshoeing!? Goodness, where I earth could that be?
Down here we're in budgie-smugglers again, strutting the beach boardwalk with a beer in one hand and a 67 slung over shoulder. Dunno what people are staring at...
01-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, the beach and beer sounds pretty good too! We're in the mountains of Nagano, Japan and currently have close to a meter of snow on the ground around our cabin! (And for the record, I took the 645N and shot a roll of Tri-X)
01-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
budgie-smugglers
I know some Aussie slang but not that one.
01-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Desertscape, I am here to educate you.

Here they are! As demonstrated by Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who loves swimming and cycling. Yes, he does wear a suit and tie in Parliament. .

Last edited by Silent Street; 09-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.
01-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Uggg.... I sorta wish I hadn't seen that photo!
The snow shoeing went so well yesterday that today I took the 645N to the ski slopes and carried it around my neck (under my coat) all day. The temps were hovering right around 0 C and we had beautiful sunshine all day. Shot a roll of Acros 120 with the 55/2.8 but won't get to develop it for a few more days.
01-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Strewth!
01-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Are you going to show us another disturbing photo to explain that word? Or maybe the famous Monty Python clip...
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
Hi, the tripod and head is not for the 67.... I use them for the K5.
They are Benro carbon fiber tripod and head is from Vanguard, the tripod I got it when Amazon.com have them on crazy sale price like ard $130 (I bought two...), and the head is about $70. Not the best, but enough for my occasional use.
01-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words...
It was a great trip, living in the east coast make traveling to the west coast a really great experiences. All the landscapes are so different, I always envy those who live in the west coast after each trip to west.

As far as the bag goes.... I am probably too ambitious! on the first day carrying them for a 4 miles canyon hike, I gave up! ha! I imagine I can't last 8 days with average of 6-7 miles hike everyday with this setup and still have my leg intact! Thus, I only bring K5+16-50 and K5IIs+77ltd the rest of the trip. I realize I will probably get more good photos (keepers) with the 67, but I probably haven't pass those trigger happy tourist stage yet! Maybe I will some day! Add to the fact that my wife said "we won't be able to finish our planned hikes if we wait for you to focus and setting up the 67"...

Further, going through airport security with this giant camera is a pain.... I have to hand check the 67 and the films, and you know, TSA officers don't really care much about your precious equipment - when I told them to be extremely careful when handling the camera, they give you that 'look', like you are some kind of terrorist! and one officer shout at me saying something like "are you going to let us do our job or what?".... some don't know what is a film camera as well. Sorry but I have to say I really hate TSA officers. Then you wait for 5-10min for them to use a wipe to check your camera.... and your wife waiting there... and other passengers give you that "who the hell still bring film cameras" look (not that I care what others think...).

Somewhere when I was hiking, I am thinking, a good hiking set up, might be a GR + a 67ii.

I started processing our photos... if you don't mind cheesy tourist shots (and some landscape), they can be seen here.

An example:

Happy New Year! I hope to shoot more rolls this year!!
01-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words...
It was a great trip, living in the east coast make traveling to the west coast a really great experiences. All the landscapes are so different, I always envy those who live in the west coast after each trip to west.

As far as the bag goes.... I am probably too ambitious! on the first day carrying them for a 4 miles canyon hike, I gave up! ha! I imagine I can't last 8 days with average of 6-7 miles hike everyday with this setup and still have my leg intact! Thus, I only bring K5+16-50 and K5IIs+77ltd the rest of the trip. I realize I will probably get more good photos (keepers) with the 67, but I probably haven't pass those trigger happy tourist stage yet! Maybe I will some day! Add to the fact that my wife said "we won't be able to finish our planned hikes if we wait for you to focus and setting up the 67"...

Further, going through airport security with this giant camera is a pain.... I have to hand check the 67 and the films, and you know, TSA officers don't really care much about your precious equipment - when I told them to be extremely careful when handling the camera, they give you that 'look', like you are some kind of terrorist! and one officer shout at me saying something like "are you going to let us do our job or what?".... some don't know what is a film camera as well. Sorry but I have to say I really hate TSA officers. Then you wait for 5-10min for them to use a wipe to check your camera.... and your wife waiting there... and other passengers give you that "who the hell still bring film cameras" look (not that I care what others think...).

Somewhere when I was hiking, I am thinking, a good hiking set up, might be a GR + a 67ii.

I started processing our photos... if you don't mind cheesy tourist shots (and some landscape), they can be seen here.

An example:

Happy New Year! I hope to shoot more rolls this year!!
Great set! Nice high-key look to some of those. Dissonant to see coats and hats worn in Death Valley! Good shots.
01-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Great set! Nice high-key look to some of those. Dissonant to see coats and hats worn in Death Valley! Good shots.
LOL.... yea, to make full use of the short day light (abt 6:45am - 4:45pm) we sleep around 8/9pm and wake up at 5am everyday, and making sure we got on trail head when the sun rises... it is cold at night and early morning, mostly 33F-37F. So my wife usually wear like it's winter. ha! But by 10am it is about 50F and can get close to 70F in the afternoon. Also can get pretty chilly in some canyon slots when sunlight doesn't reach...