Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could next 645D be with out miror?

Mirorless 645D with tilting rear screen would be a blast. No miror, means less shake when you take a shot.
Is it technecalty possible? Can such big sensor send a direct video feed to a screen?
P.S. If this post is in wrong section move it pleas

12-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Who knows. I want the next 645 D to have a flange distance of like 25mm and then come with the adapter for 645 lenses. Then basically everything would be usable on it -- full image circle -- and cropable in post. Imagine it -- a pro-grade Q.
12-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Not that much of a blast : loosing acurate, powerfree anytime framing potential ; and pleasurefull shooting capability ; whilst not helping image stability (i never need mirror lock-up with current model even with a tripod and long exposure) and having no action towards existing lens/sensor flange distance.
So definitely no interest imo.
The smartest job is only two-fit for next 645DII :
- reduce the rear of the "big box" through electronic miniaturisation
- fit in non-cropped sensor to definitely cut any 35mm comparison
12-27-2013, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Mirorless 645D with tilting rear screen would be a blast. No miror, means less shake when you take a shot.
Is it technecalty possible? Can such big sensor send a direct video feed to a screen?
P.S. If this post is in wrong section move it pleas
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, especially considering that there's a huge amount of wasted space in the 645D to begin with. And yes, your post was in the wrong section- moved to the 645 forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The smartest job is only two-fit for next 645DII :
- reduce the rear of the "big box" through electronic miniaturisation
- fit in non-cropped sensor to definitely cut any 35mm comparison
+1! There is a lot of air in that box, so I would be surprised if the next model isn't significantly thinner. A non-cropped sensor would be cool, but even a less-cropped sensor would help a lot (e.g. a 36x48 format would make the sensor twice the size of FF 35mm - compared to 1.68x today).
12-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #6

This will not help to reduce camera size unless Ricoh decide to move with new bayonet but it doesn't look they would. Thus there are not so many benefits to move 645D to mirrorless world. Instead they can make long time mirror lock function to let camera act like any mirrorless.
12-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't be surprised they'd go mirrorless with the 645D indeed, this is much much more likely than with with K-mount.

12-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
+1! There is a lot of air in that box, so I would be surprised if the next model isn't significantly thinner. A non-cropped sensor would be cool, but even a less-cropped sensor would help a lot (e.g. a 36x48 format would make the sensor twice the size of FF 35mm - compared to 1.68x today).
But now the sensor of the 645D is 44x33 wich twice the size off the large aps-h sensor I would except

I think that the mirror wil be in the next generation. Or if it does disappear then Pentax probably need to install some heatingcontroll, so that would take also space in the box.

A shorter flange distance? Well then maybe the smae as the K-mount? Then you could also run your K-mount lenses with adapter in them.

Somehow I think it is going to be less spectacular. There is still no CMOS sensor for this size jet. So maybe we just get a 50 megapixel CCD sensor big brother for the 645D. With all the electronics from the K-3 in the box off the 645D.
12-27-2013, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #9

It'd be a shame if they took away the OVF from the product in their line that has the best OVF. EVF will conquer (IS in fact conquering even as we speak), but Medium Format is where OVF can make a glorious last stand.

Another thing that would be a shame would be to introduce a flimsy tear-off screen to their most rugged product. The idea is to get rid of moving parts, not to make more parts move. Tether with a cellphone instead if you don't want to bend down to see the image.
12-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
Another thing that would be a shame would be to introduce a flimsy tear-off screen to their most rugged product. The idea is to get rid of moving parts, not to make more parts move. Tether with a cellphone instead if you don't want to bend down to see the image.
It’s possible to do rugged cameras with tilt screen, just look at sony and olympus.
12-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #11

I'd love to use my Rollei lenses on a mirrorless MF body, and while dreaming having a tilt/shift adapter as well to go with it ;-)
And have the choice to buy a 25 or 28mm lens for the type of image I can now only get through stitching.

May be next Christmas?
12-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think much depends on what was in the Hoya pipeline concerning the 645D replacement.
Ricoh has been pretty consistent in using as much of the previous R&D as possible.
If there was something in the works, then I think it will be much like the K5 and K3.

If not, then brace yourselves for something weird/different from the Ricoh brain trust.
12-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't think it would make any sense to remove the mirror in an MF camera. Might make sense to have a secondary mirrorless model to complement it but for sure not replace it.

Rather than removing the mirror if I had it my way I would make the pentaprism a removable module to turn it into a waist level viewfinder (optical). Not sure how much that is possible though because of the AF, exposure meter and possibly other things that might need the prism to work. Unfortunately there's no way I can afford a 645D, let alone influnece its successor's design

As far as mirror induced vibration that can never be a problem that necessitates doing away with the mirror entirely - you can always lock it up or use live view in particular situations where it might matter. Here though as already mentioned one would wish for there to be a more permanent lock up mechanism, preferably a direct mechanically linked lever as I believe the film 645 and even many 35mm film SLRs had.
12-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #14

There is a rumor out there suggesting that a more traditional 645D replacement was scheduled for this year but delayed in favor of a substantially different one. I could imagine that that would be a mirrorless model and if it came with global shutter and a larger sensor it would be quite the sensation. Hopefully with adapters for the current lenses. Imagine - some new wide angle lenses taking advantage of the shorter flange distance... Definitely on my wish list.
12-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lacunapratum Quote
There is a rumor out there suggesting that a more traditional 645D replacement was scheduled for this year but delayed in favor of a substantially different one. I could imagine that that would be a mirrorless model and if it came with global shutter and a larger sensor it would be quite the sensation. Hopefully with adapters for the current lenses. Imagine - some new wide angle lenses taking advantage of the shorter flange distance... Definitely on my wish list.
Can you explain that advantage?