Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #16

Doesn't Stephan Vanfleteren use the 67 with Extension tubes sometimes?

01-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi All,

Hope you don't me jumping in with a request for advice with 6x7MLU & 67 bodies. I've just acquired the inner bayonet auto tubes #1 & #2. The #2 tube has a sprung loaded pin that I think stops the aperture down, the #1 tube has the pin, but it free to rotate and not sprung loaded - does this sound right?

I've tried them in all combinations on my 67 but I'm not getting any metering when using the lens in 'man' (I will try my 6x7MLU tonight).

Any suggestions?

John.
01-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi,
I had the same worries, because itīs the same with mine (I have the #3, sprung loaded, and the #1). I was told, that this is normal; they are just always built like this. The #1 pin is light ebough to be properly moved without sprung.
01-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
Hi,
I had the same worries, because itīs the same with mine (I have the #3, sprung loaded, and the #1). I was told, that this is normal; they are just always built like this. The #1 pin is light ebough to be properly moved without sprung.
Thanks, that helps. I've put the #1 tube on the back of a lens and it appears the spring driving the lens pin also drives the #1 tube pin, so that kind of makes sense.

I've also tried metering with my 6x7MLU (which only meters in stop-down mode for some reason) as well as the 67, still no metering and I can't work out what could be different.

Failing getting the metering to work, does anybody know what exposure adjustments to make for the #1 & #2 tubes with the 165/2.8 & 200/4 lenses?

John.

01-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I've also tried metering with my 6x7MLU (which only meters in stop-down mode for some reason) as well as the 67, still no metering and I can't work out what could be different.
This is normal with all 6x7, 67 and 67II bodies.The TTL and AE metered prism will not work with the lens DOF lever in "AUTO".

Here is the link to the 6x7 auto extension tube manual, it also shows the exposure factor for various lenses:

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/149_1314744926-2076101252_manual.pdf

Phil.
01-10-2014, 04:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
This is normal with all 6x7, 67 and 67II bodies.The TTL and AE metered prism will not work with the lens DOF lever in "AUTO".
Hi Phil, thanks for the link.

Sorry I've confused things a bit. I'm not getting any metering with the tubes on either camera whether the switch is set to Man or Auto. The 6x7MLU only meters in stop-down mode without the tubes (needle sits at the top and moves down for metering - seems strange), in AUTO it stays at the top. The 67 meters fine in both modes without the tubes, but nothing with the tubes.

I can't see any logical reason why the tubes would prevent metering, the black annodising appears clean and undamaged on all faces, they appear to click into place correctly and there seems little else to go wrong?

John.
01-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The camera body has a lens locking pin in the lens mount face. Lenses are machined very accurately to accept this pin. The extension tubes don't seem to be machined as accurately as the lenses. Sometimes the tubes will not actuate the center part of this pin. This center part actuates the meter. You might have a defective tube.

01-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The 6x7MLU only meters in stop-down mode without the tubes (needle sits at the top and moves down for metering - seems strange), in AUTO it stays at the top.
My TTL meter also does that, hence I ditched it and now use a handheld Gossen/Pentax light-meter. These TTL meters are flakey to say the least, though Eric could probably fix it. The redesigned 67II AE metered prism is much better.

Phil.
01-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions.

I've tried another set of tubes (different sprung pin mechanism arrangement - again the #1 tube has no spring), but with the same results with the metering. In time I'll be trying to get the cameras/prisms checked out, but for now I'll have to accept that there's a problem somewhere (hopefully I can get decent results with my hand-held meter and adjusting for the extension).

John.