Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Pentax 6x7 MLU shutter jam !

Hello,

Every 2 or 3 rolls my Pentax 6x7 shutter jams and I loose a frame !
I can't advance the film or fire the shutter, so I remove the battery, the mirror comes down and I advance the film.
Today it happened again when firing the shutter at 1/60, the mirror locked up, only this time when I rotated the speed knob it automatically fired !

Is this a common problem ? Shoud I get it serviced before it gets worse ?
I don't shoot a lot so I think I can live with the occasionally missed frame !

12-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I would contatc Eric and see what he thinks.

Pentax Camera Service Home

Phil.
01-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Sounds like some sort of power failure. It could be the shutter speed dial's contacts are dirty or oxidized... very common on an old body that had not been used in a while.
If you you know the procedure to put the empty body in "dry fire" mode and test is out... try each of the speeds and note groups of normal and failures.
It may fire perfectly in some speeds and randomly in others. Commonly, it will need a proper contact cleaning and lubing. This is a possible DIY thing, but it is better that you take it to a proper technician if you are not comfortable or familiar with the procedure.

If it is consistently intermittent in operation, then it is possible that it is the main power switch and that is deeper inside and requires a proper tear down of shell. This is not a simple thing for the unfamiliar and so it should be left for the professional.