Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Matt Padden

smc 67 45mm lens: loose front casing?

Hi,

My first post, so a friendly wave to all.

I'm a happy P67II system user. However, my 45mm lens has a loose front casing which rattles around a little. It doesn't affect useage but it is a frustration, so I wonder if anyone else has experienced (and resolved) a similar issue?

I'm aware of a similar thread way back in 2000 but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer.

To describe the issue: The lens is a 'smc Pentax 67' issue 45mm f4, serial 8580772, which I guess makes it around 1993/4 vintage. The front barrel, which incorporates the filter thread, has a little play in it, allowing slight rotation and forward/backward movement which rattles audibly. I removed the shield ring (carrying the lens details) in the hope that it would reveal a simple case of three screws to tighten, but this isn't the case. Instead the front barrel has three wide bayonet-style forks that appear to locate between a pair of rings on the lens helicoid (see attached image, and please excuse the unclean front element). I've gone no further than this, other than to establish that nothing else in the lens appears to be at all loose.

Any 45mm wisdom greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Matt

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
01-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I bought my 45mm in 1990 (new) and have used it quite a bit. It does have the looseness you describe but I have not attempted to fix it. As long as it produces good images, I'm not going to mess with it.
01-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Matt Padden

Hi desertscape,
Given the revealed mounting method for the front barrel I will likely do the same and leave it as is. I have no intention of disturbing the optics.
Matt
01-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
rubber

Did you check under the rubber band around the lens? Many lenses with rubber bands around them are hiding all sorts of wonderful screws for adjusting various things.

01-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Where is the fascia ring for this lens? The fascia ring locks the barrel in place and has the lens markings on it.
01-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Matt Padden

Hi,

672: by 'rubber band' do you mean the focus grip? I've not yet looked under there.

The fascia ring with the lens details is already removed in the image I supplied. Normally it surrounds the front element; the image shows what is visible underneath it. As far as I can ascertain the three 'prongs' of the front barrel sit between two rings on the inner helicoid (you can see the wrench slot on the upper ring in the image). However the upper ring appears snug and tight. No way to reach the lower ring without further disassembly.
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I can well appreciate your inquisitiveness, but what is stopping you from having this lens professionally serviced where the right tools are available for the job to be completed properly without risk of damage?
01-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
focus grip

Yes, Under the focus grip. It's worth a try on just about any lens that has one.

01-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
Matt Padden

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
I can well appreciate your inquisitiveness, but what is stopping you from having this lens professionally serviced where the right tools are available for the job to be completed properly without risk of damage?
That's likely exactly what I'll do, given what I've found so far. However I see no harm in making a few enquiries. Had it been a simple case of loose screws then I would have seen no issue with a quick DIY fix, enabling me to get back to using the lens quickly.
01-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Sorry... in the discussion.

Are you referring to the optics barrel or in other words the part that moves up and down to focus or is it just the "front group"... as it sounds?
01-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
Matt Padden

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Sorry... in the discussion.

Are you referring to the optics barrel or in other words the part that moves up and down to focus or is it just the "front group"... as it sounds?
It isn't the optic barrel that is loose. All the optics are fine and firm. The loose part is the outer barrel 'casing' that extends from the focus ring up to and including the filter thread mount (it's all one piece). It's the mounting of this outer casing to the optics barrel that seems to be the issue.
01-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Giveaway winner!

OK... front shroud.

The flanges of metal you see that run from the filter thread side to the the underneath of the front lens group are the arms the are secured to the barrel body.

You'll need to spin off the front group to see these screws.
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Matt Padden

OK... front shroud.

The flanges of metal you see that run from the filter thread side to the the underneath of the front lens group are the arms the are secured to the barrel body.

You'll need to spin off the front group to see these screws.
That's what I feared. I have no wish to risk disturbing the lens optics for a minor issue such as this (frustrating though it sometimes is). So I figure I'll live with the rattle and enjoy the images.
01-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Giveaway winner!

One more thing...

...as you can see here in my 45mm, the thread lock is still visible. Can you see a bit sticking out from yours?

If no sign of the thread lock adhesive then it could be that someone had alread disturbed the optic. This might mean you could spin it off... if you what to try.

You will have to use a dust containment protocal to not get the clean insides dirty.
01-07-2014, 01:29 AM   #15
Matt Padden

One more thing...

...as you can see here in my 45mm, the thread lock is still visible. Can you see a bit sticking out from yours?

If no sign of the thread lock adhesive then it could be that someone had alread disturbed the optic. This might mean you could spin it off... if you what to try.

You will have to use a dust containment protocal to not get the clean insides dirty.
No sign of thread lock on mine, which is perhaps another reason for a CLA. Thanks for the comparison!