Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #1

Shutter count set to zero after shutter unit replaced

Hi

I am negotiating the purchase of a second-hand 645D. Unfortunately, the shutter-count communicated by the current (2nd) owner of just under 9K has transpired into an exif shuttercount of just under 39K. Bit of a setback, especially if the 50K life expectancy has been backed up by users.
Anyway, calling the Pentax service hotline in Germany did not really answer the question how the big discrepancy can be explained, but one thought was mentioned: that the counter may have been set to zero when a new shutter unit was installed.
I would find this a bit strange, but, if everyone was aware of the information in EXIF, this could be a decent way to indicate shutter status and camera status, the actuation counter on the camera pointing to the former and the EXIF info to the latter.
Here my questions:
  1. As I do not have the camera, I need to know if the number of actuations is shown by the camera. I flicked through the pdf manual I could download, but could not find the answer.
  2. Has anyone come across conflicting counts like in my case? If yes, what was the explanation?
  3. A camera built in 2011 (October, according to this clever tool: Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader), would this be a good production run (after a year or so in production the early problems resolved type of scenario)?

Thank you for your help, I have looked around a bit in case this has been dealt with already, but no luck.

Rainer

01-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the serial number of the camera, perhaps Pentax repair services can tell if the shutter has, in fact, been replaced.
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Confusing seller

Hi

When I confronted the seller with the 'evidence', he has changed his tune and now says he took the 8720 photos. So I think there does not seem to be any function that actually tells you how often the shutter has been used with the 645D, you need to go via EXIF. Despite appearances, the seller seems to be of the type that sells only in mint condition, no matter what the real condition is.
So questions 1 and 2 have been answered. If anyone feels like telling me about question 3 I would appreciate any input.
One additional question: what value loss would an extra 30000 acuations represent? Roughly, obviously.

Thanks, Canada Rockies, but the Pentax service in Germany could not help me a lot, despite being friendly.
01-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
If a seller tells me one thing, then tries to change it or cover it up, I'd walk away - period. No telling what else they are covering up or lying about.

01-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

If the camera is in good shape otherwise, it still may be a good value. I'm one of the few who had a 645D shutter die, and coincidentally mine was right around 50,000 actuations. I got it replaced under warranty, so that one cost me no cash but I did have the camera down for 10 weeks while it went to Japan for repair. I bought a second 645D to keep going on my project at the time, getting it used from somebody I know at about 10K actuations when I got it.

If your shutter assembly breaks down and requires replacement, the price I was quoted by Pentax Canada was about $1000 CDN. Assuming the shutter rating of 50K is dead-on accurate, then at a simple view, 30K actuations could be valued at 60% of $1000, or $600. Of course there's nothing to say the shutter will die at 50K, it could last much longer. Mine died at the rating, but then I use my cameras heavily, and in a lot of "hard" outdoor conditions.

As far as I know, the EXIF shutter count is the only way to tell actuations on the 645D. If the seller claimed something else, perhaps it was based on the image file numbering which is unreliable for measuring actual shutter actuations. My 2 bodies are now about 58K and 18K according to EXIF, and I believe that's accurate for both of them. When Pentax Japan did the shutter replacement on the first body, I did not see the count get reset to 0.

Last edited by Royce Howland; 01-20-2014 at 04:01 PM.
01-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you Tom and Royce. Same reaction here, difficult to trust sb when they have tried it once with you.
And yes, there is always this feeling that the offer could have been a good one apart from that one thing I spotted.
Well, not many of these cameras coming onto the second-hand market in Germany/France, so even more tantalising when there is an interesting price.
In the end I might wait until 645DII has come out to see what happens to the prices for the leftover new 645D on the shelves.
01-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Walk away. Prices may plummet this year and this guy might be shady...
01-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hello, I have done just that. But to be fair to the seller: he was not trying trick me, he simply did not know it himself. But I hate it when people are convinced that what they sell is super without having taken the trouble to check beforehand. Some kind of auto-hypnotisation that will then lead to statements like: I wonder what he did to the car or camera, I never had any problems.
Now I just have to find another one at the right time in Germany or in France, but not many on the market (2 currently, if I count an English one).

Thanks and looking forward to more light out there.
Rainer