Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice video...love the exploded view of the 20-40mm Limited!

02-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If anyone can translate the video, I'd love to know what they're saying about the 645 lens; Pentax has obviously not branded the lens in any way.
02-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #153
Pentaxian

The video is "private" now.
02-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I also see a difference (between K10d and K-5), and sometimes miss the K10d colors, but I have to admit the blue skies of the K10d were supernatural
Agreed!

That's why I still have my K10D. I own an XRite, but I got it after the K20D. If I get time this weekend I'm going to take the K10D and K5 out for a spin.

All this makes me wonder about the 645's of course.

02-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #155

When do u think the first raw files taken with the 645DII (or 2014) will be available??
02-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The new Hasselblad was mentioned in a comment in one of the other threads here, now Photorumors also speaks of a 50MP CMOS Phase One camera:

PhaseOne IQ250 coming soon with a.... new 50MP CMOS sensor | Photo Rumors

I've long wondered if the 645D mk 2 would get a CMOS Sony sensor. I think this may be an indication that it will. If the size of the sensor is about the same as in the current Hasselblad H5D-50 (36.7 x 49.1), the pixel density will be very close to the pixel density of a 24mp FF sensor, so the sensor could be expected to have similar low light capabilities to the D600. This would make the 645D mk2 incredibly good in low light!
if pentax comes through with the upgrades, it means that they hope to take a bite out of the medium format market. I really hope they can.
02-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
if pentax comes through with the upgrades, it means that they hope to take a bite out of the medium format market. I really hope they can.
They already have a sizeable slice of the medium-format-pie. Here's hoping they can get another piece.

02-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I frequent another photography blog or what every you would refer to it as..... One of the posts was on the new 645D II wondering that since its ONLY $10K how good can it be? He went on to say that he has two Phase 1 backs and bodies @ $40K each, because they are so unreliable, one is always in the shop. Here are a few excerpts.....

QuoteQuote:
I'm still puzzled though. Phase One backs are built like tanks but their bodies are not that great. The Pentax has weather sealing and looks more Canikon-like in its construction, so I don't think Phase One beats this significantly. I guess the Phase One ecosystem can count for something, but it doesn't explain the 4x higher price.

Imagine if Pentax offered a D800 sensor in a $699 body. That's the price difference we're looking at.
QuoteQuote:
No, but I am saying that medium format is SO unreliable that anyone who has a choice should think twice before 'upgrading' from 35mm. Over 2013 I averaged about one gear faillure (body, lens, or back) every 4-5 shoots. And by gear faillure I mean when something just completely locks up or stops working and needs to be sent to Denmark for servicing. I'm not counting all the temporary lock-ups, misfires, restarts, and lost connections, because those happen several times per shoot.
QuoteQuote:
My experience is with Phase One, but I hear Hasselblad isn't much better. I have a feeling the Pentax will be more DSLR-like in terms of reliability, but I don't have any experience with them.

Any word on the AF performance of the 645D II? If this is something they lifted from their DSLRs it could be a helluvalot better than Phase One's barely usable performance.
QuoteQuote:
Interesting. I'm curious to see if it's really the same sensor as the IQ250 and that Hasselblad but it seems likely. If that's the case the image quality will be quite similar between them save for the lenses. From what you've said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the AF performance beats the Phase One 645DF II by a mile.

Let's see if this shakes up the MF market a little bit.
Pentax with a solid second model can prove that the first was not a fluke. I would think that they would start courting the small MF market in earnest. Winning over photographers such as this one, 2 bodies and a pretty nice set of lenses for well under $40K should make a substantial mark.

02-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #159
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
They already have a sizeable slice of the medium-format-pie. Here's hoping they can get another piece.
Well everyone is talking about a pie, but I think the medium-format is more like a miniature cupcake in the cameraworld.
02-21-2014, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #160

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well everyone is talking about a pie, but I think the medium-format is more like a miniature cupcake in the cameraworld.
While that is very true, it gives Ricoh a chance to be top dog in at least one market segment which is a whole lot better for corporate pride than being an insignificant part of most other segments. The Ricoh/Pentax camera division has been called a hobby business in terms of its overall place in the Ricoh corporate structure and the same is probably true for the Fuji camera business too. In both cases the only thing on the line is corporate pride since success or failure will barely make the tiniest ripple in the parent companies bottom line. I think for both companies the only reason to be in the game is to show off what they can do. Fuji is already doing that and I think medium format is one of the ways Ricoh has chosen to do the same. It is why Volkswagen chose to lose money on every Bugatti they build, even although they also own Audi, Porsche and Lamborghini.

If Ricoh really want to get serious they will need to add some new leaf shutter lenses to the 645 line-up and get some bullet proof tethering software since they seem to be the major complaint against the 645D.
02-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #161
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that pretty good tethering software is coming up. as we speak. Dunno about leaf shutter lenses update, but rest of it looks pretty darn good. I WISH I HAD MONEY FOR THIS...
02-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

mmmm tiny cupcakes
02-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Tiny cupcakes, but if you own the MF market, you'd get a lot of street cred downstream in the DSLR market.

If those comments about Phase One /Hasselblad reliability are accurate, that's a market opening you could drive a tank through -- or at least a 645D-II... if it's built anywhere near as good as my old 645N, which is absolutely reliable. Easy, easy, easy ad campaign to that very targeted market -- Reliability, Accurate AF, Weatherproof, and 50 MP -- all for less than $10K!
02-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #164
Veteran Member

All Pentax has is cupcakes anyway, so a small cupcake is still a good thing. As you mention a halo product is also a positive.