Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Wow, some deep pockets here !
I think its the idea of a MFD that is made to adapt 35mm lenses with full auto functionality so you can shoot it as either a 35mm camera with reduced MP count or native mode. Kind of like shooting DX lenses on a FX Nikon camera where it automatically adjusts.

01-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #62
Inactive Account

ccd at base iso produce simply better images, something that dxi cannot say from poor lab analysis..at base iso even with the low dr , my k10d files are much " interesting" than the k5 file....for me cmos flat the image. ccd produce a 3d feeling. in my opinion when the first sample will come out, many mf users will discover that the new gassy produce images that are similar to d800 or k5 with simply more resolution.
01-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
ccd at base iso produce simply better images, something that dxi cannot say from poor lab analysis..at base iso even with the low dr , my k10d files are much " interesting" than the k5 file....for me cmos flat the image. ccd produce a 3d feeling. in my opinion when the first sample will come out, many mf users will discover that the new gassy produce images that are similar to d800 or k5 with simply more resolution.
So we should all forget about any other type of photography that demands more than ISO 100, shoot landscapes and be happy?
01-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
So we should all forget about any other type of photography that demands more than ISO 100, shoot landscapes and be happy?
No, just the landscape guys...

01-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Well, before anyone shoots down this new CMOS MFD sensor in a ball of flames, they really should keep an open mind and see what the results look like IMHO. Right now it's pure speculation by extrapolation.
01-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Right now it's pure speculation by extrapolation.
Can we quote this line when it's needed in the future?
01-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Can we quote this line when it's needed in the future?
That cuts both ways Norm. If it turns out the new tech has higher dynamic range and has good color, then perhaps landscapers will love it.

01-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Well, before anyone shoots down this new CMOS MFD sensor in a ball of flames, they really should keep an open mind and see what the results look like IMHO. Right now it's pure speculation by extrapolation.
I'm fine with the CMOS, and high ISO people will love it.

However it seems as if sensor technology (CMOS definitely, probably CCD) has plateaued over the past 3.5-4 years. From an engineering/historical perspective, it's unlikely that a 'breakthrough' sony sensor would first appear on a 44x33 chip. From a marketing perspective, you'd want to have your breakthrough performance come in on the 44x33 chip.

I guess my 'net' interpretation is that the sensor will be an improvement over the CCD overall - equal at low ISO but far superior at high ISO (easy prediction, of course). But I'm not a 'CCD guy'. I love the 645D pics but thought the K200D was far worse than the K-5 in terms of colors.
01-25-2014, 04:29 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'm fine with the CMOS, and high ISO people will love it.

However it seems as if sensor technology (CMOS definitely, probably CCD) has plateaued over the past 3.5-4 years. From an engineering/historical perspective, it's unlikely that a 'breakthrough' sony sensor would first appear on a 44x33 chip. From a marketing perspective, you'd want to have your breakthrough performance come in on the 44x33 chip.

I guess my 'net' interpretation is that the sensor will be an improvement over the CCD overall - equal at low ISO but far superior at high ISO (easy prediction, of course). But I'm not a 'CCD guy'. I love the 645D pics but thought the K200D was far worse than the K-5 in terms of colors.
It is hard for me to tell. I like the K5 files a lot and they are a lot more amenable to processing that K10 files, particularly from a dynamic range stand point and from the standpoint of photos taken above base iso.

I do think a 645D with CMOS sensor will be basically like a D800, but with a bigger sensor. Which is probably fine. It will give a little more lee way in moving up in iso, give quicker response and maybe even offer options like live view and video (not that medium format shooters will be interested in things like that).
01-25-2014, 05:26 AM   #70
Inactive Account

no...and i use my 645d at every iso i can, iso 1600 is actually pretty good, id say a stop les than d800 but pretty usable..

if i need a fast camera with good base iso and good high iso control, i buy the d800 dfor 2800 dollar, not a camera that cost from 10 to 30k..these camera have a sense when they produce the best output, not a snapshot at high iso..there is already a sample in aforuj of iso 1600, id say not different from pentax 645d, and simply worst than any 35 slr.
so what s the point? maybe wedding photographer will benefit.

you have used a 645d at high iso? what are your impression.
01-25-2014, 05:28 AM   #71
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is hard for me to tell. I like the K5 files a lot and they are a lot more amenable to processing that K10 files, particularly from a dynamic range stand point and from the standpoint of photos taken above base iso.

I do think a 645D with CMOS sensor will be basically like a D800, but with a bigger sensor. Which is probably fine. It will give a little more lee way in moving up in iso, give quicker response and maybe even offer options like live view and video (not that medium format shooters will be interested in things like that).
will see. for me the ccd at base iso is unbeatable, and i'm talking about what i see from a d800 and a 645d. so ithe next 645d2 produce file similar in quality to d800 i will be disappointed.
in my opinion people should before use the 645d and compare to a comps sensor than talk.
01-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Well jonny, you encourage me keeping my 645D...
01-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #73
Inactive Account

because u have doubt?...bnut ill buy your in case for a 1000 dollar!!)...
the 65d has less dynamic in shadow than my k5 or d800 but it has a very good control f specular highlight and highlight in general, so with d800 you shoot for pushing shadow , with 645d i shoot on the right and pull highlight...similar results but much more natural rendition...in addiction i use more and more graduated...i find pushing shadow with my k5 creates mostly unnatural images.
personally i won't buy a cmos pentax 645d2, ok maybe if he had live view and sensor stabilized ok, but let's wait the samples. in get dpi forum of medium format many user of technical camera raised many critics...let's wait. sure is good that the price of old back will lower, i have only dreamt of buy a technical camera with a back.
01-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #74
Banned

videos with the new 50mp Sony CMOS sensor

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/249...ml#post2662311

I think the 645D II with this sensor would be great but I think the price will be higher than the 645D IMHO.
01-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #75
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Phase One IQ250 - 11 things to know - DT Blog

Sony sensor it is, which is surprising considering the low volume. Quite likely Pentax will be using CMOS too. Exciting change in the medium format market.
1.2 fps
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/IQ2-Series/~/media/Phase%20One/1-C...et_200114.ashx
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/IQ2-Series/IQ2-Specifications.aspx