Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax 6x7 owner

Got myself a MLU Pentax 6x7 with a 55mm f4 and handle. The meetering prism looks quite uggly, must have seen a lot of action, even miss the Pentax name tag, but it works. It wasn't on my shoppin list anyway.
Besides this I've got the fisheye (non-SMC) and the 200mm, both which I've picked up years ago just because I could do it at rediculous prices. A fast focus ring is on its way.
On the shopping list is a normal lens and perhaps the 150 or the 165mm for portraits and at the right price the 75mm. I definitely also want to have the waist level finder, but it may take some time at the prices I see it go for.
Unfortunately, no medium format scanner fit into my budget, so I will for now experiment with copying the negatives/slides with a macro rigged DSLR on my light table, and then have some pro-lab scan the best pictures.
Planning to use this forum for advices.

This is what the "post your medium format photos"-thread made me do!

01-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Congrats on the new gear!

Here is a Pentax 6x7 Lens Guide if you haven't seen it already. Note the different generations of the lenses and if the optics changed between the generations. It may help on future lens purchases. The rating system is given relative to other Pentax lenses.
01-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Got myself a MLU Pentax 6x7 with a 55mm f4 and handle. The meetering prism looks quite uggly, must have seen a lot of action, even miss the Pentax name tag, but it works. It wasn't on my shoppin list anyway.
Besides this I've got the fisheye (non-SMC) and the 200mm, both which I've picked up years ago just because I could do it at rediculous prices. A fast focus ring is on its way.
On the shopping list is a normal lens and perhaps the 150 or the 165mm for portraits and at the right price the 75mm. I definitely also want to have the waist level finder, but it may take some time at the prices I see it go for.
Unfortunately, no medium format scanner fit into my budget, so I will for now experiment with copying the negatives/slides with a macro rigged DSLR on my light table, and then have some pro-lab scan the best pictures.
Planning to use this forum for advices.

This is what the "post your medium format photos"-thread made me do!

That's the older Asahi Optical Company prism, an early model. Where is the front nameplate?
The real gem in your kit is not so much the camera, as good as they all are when they have been looked after, but the 55mm f4 lens one of the very best in the Pentax line-up (the 45mm is not far behind it).

A normal lens for this kit would be the 90mm f2.8: it is a great little lens, much, much smaller than even the 55mm, fast and easy-going to use and good for just about anything in day to day use that isn't too far from the camera.

Just my opinion but I have avoided fish-eye lenses for more than 25 years as pure gimmickry. Good if you're stuck in a lift and want to big picture of all the panic-stained faces around you, but otherwise...
01-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

He has the 6x7 generation version of the 55mm not to be confused with the reportedly better 67 generation of it.

01-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
He has the 6x7 generation version of the 55mm not to be confused with the reportedly better 67 generation of it.
Yes, it is only a "B+", on the other hand, that is the lightest of the 55mm lenses, and the price was great and it looks like it has rarely been used.
01-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
That's the older Asahi Optical Company prism, an early model. Where is the front nameplate?
The real gem in your kit is not so much the camera, as good as they all are when they have been looked after, but the 55mm f4 lens one of the very best in the Pentax line-up (the 45mm is not far behind it).

A normal lens for this kit would be the 90mm f2.8: it is a great little lens, much, much smaller than even the 55mm, fast and easy-going to use and good for just about anything in day to day use that isn't too far from the camera.

Just my opinion but I have avoided fish-eye lenses for more than 25 years as pure gimmickry. Good if you're stuck in a lift and want to big picture of all the panic-stained faces around you, but otherwise...
No idea what has happended with the name plate. There is no trace of it. So it doesn't look so nice, but it works, and the price was such that it would have been good even without the viewfinder.

I've had a lot of fun with the DA10-17 fisheye, which is the only other fisheye I own, though I loong ago had a Rikenon fish-eye. This 6x7 fisheye ended up with me several years ago for just 40 Euro, which was of course a price I could not resist. Then it has been collecting dust while waiting for me to get a body for it. For that price it could be worth some playing around...I'm sure I will soon have payed more for film, processing and scanning than I payed for the fisheye.

The only gear I have had on high priority is a body, a grip, a 55mm lens and a waist level finder (3 of 4 so far). My thought is that with that I can both do some land scape, but also some street shooting. I know this isn't the typical style you associate with a medium format camera, but I've seen some very good work done with medium format in the street style, and one good way to do street shooting is to be as obvious as possible...which sort of makes you invisible...and a Pentax 6x7 and tripod should make me very obvious on the streets. Since my fav focal length for street shooting with 135m film is 28mm, the Pentax 6x7 55mm lens was the obvious alternative.
01-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Yes, it is only a "B+", on the other hand, that is the lightest of the 55mm lenses, and the price was great and it looks like it has rarely been used.
Yes, still a good lens.