Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 02:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
45mm + Lee Filters - Vignetting?

I have recently purchased some Lee ND grads + Lee 100 Foundation holder to use with my Pentax 67ii system. I plan to use the standard 82mm adapter + Lee holder with two slots on the 45mm. Will this result in vignetting?

I am grateful for any advice on this matter!

Best regards
Bjørn

Last edited by bjolester; 01-31-2014 at 04:57 AM.
01-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It shouldn’t. I use regular 82mm bayonet or screw-in filters on my 45mm with no issues. Also Pentax made similar a 6x7 82mm holder for Kodak Wratten filters and it’s about the same size.

Phil.
01-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've stacked two filters on my 45mm with no vignetting. One an Pentax O2 bayonet filter and the other a thin profile ND filter.
01-31-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lee filters have been used on ultra wide 65mm large format lenses without vignetting (100mm diameter types), also ultra wide angle digital lenses. I don't see how vignetting could occur on the 45mm. You may just have to go and find out for yourself — take the camera with the 45mm lens mounted to the shop where you are buying the Lee filters and determine the risk of any vignetting there are then (however, with 6x7 and 67 cameras the "missing 10%" perimeter of the viewfinder may weigh into deliberations).

Avoid the temptation to compromise the beautiful optical performance of the 45mm by stacking multipler filters on — one filter for the specific task. Believe me, I have seen photographers use 4 filters on lenses and carp about "funny colours", "black corners" and "soft photos"!! Drrrrrft.

02-01-2014, 03:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all very much for your advice!

I purchased part of a Lee 100 system for my 67ii system second hand. So far I have got two adapters, the standard 67mm and the standard 82mm adapter. Lee also makes wide angel adapters for most lens dimensions, which fixes the filter system a few millimeters onto the lens. The wide angle adapters are more expensive than the standard adapters (of course...). So the variables for the Pentax 67 45mm f4 lens with the Lee 100 system, with regards to vignetting, are two different adapters and how many slots one decides to have on the filter holder. Maybe the easiest thing is to just shot a film and see how it turnes out

Regards
Bjørn

Last edited by bjolester; 02-01-2014 at 03:21 AM.
02-01-2014, 03:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Avoid the temptation to compromise the beautiful optical performance of the 45mm by stacking multipler filters on — one filter for the specific task. Believe me, I have seen photographers use 4 filters on lenses and carp about "funny colours", "black corners" and "soft photos"!! Drrrrrft.
I absolutly agree! I plan to only use a ND grad on my SMC 67 45mm, or colour filters for monochrome.

Regards
Bjørn
02-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Funny colors does not mean much when you are shooting BW and I do not get soft photos.

02-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
Thank you all very much for your advice!

I purchased part of a Lee 100 system for my 67ii system second hand. So far I have got two adapters, the standard 67mm and the standard 82mm adapter. Lee also makes wide angel adapters for most lens dimensions, which fixes the filter system a few millimeters onto the lens. The wide angle adapters are more expensive than the standard adapters (of course...). So the variables for the Pentax 67 45mm f4 lens with the Lee 100 system, with regards to vignetting, are two different adapters and how many slots one decides to have on the filter holder. Maybe the easiest thing is to just shot a film and see how it turnes out

Regards
Bjørn
I am using the Lee system on a 45mm as well. I ended up getting the wide angle adapter from "the filter dude" on ebay. I'm not really into knock off stuff but I mean come on, its a metal ring, so i took the $25 risk and it works just fine as well is a quality crafted ring.

I'm assuming your 67mm standard ring is for a 105mm? If so that lens is telephoto enough to not vignette on a standard ring.

Just go run a test roll through it, take some shots with open sky, thats where you will notice vignetting most easily. I'd think you would be fine with standard rings as people are shooting with 15mm (full frame 35) lenses with the Lee 100 kit.

I have yet to come across a situation where I wanted to stack more than 2 filters.
02-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks jwatts!

Yes, I believe the best thing will be to run a film through the camera with the 45mm + Lee holder. Hopefully I will be fine with the 82mm standard adapter I already have.

The 67mm standard adapter is for my 105mm + 165mm lenses, I am sure this set-up will function well.

I know I will use my ND grads a lot, and sometimes black and white colour filters, so two filter slots will fulfill all my filter¨needs

Regards
Bjørn