Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #1

Bought 67II on Ebay and not working...

Hey friends, this is my first post. Wondering if anyone can help offer suggestions.
I just bought a 67II with AE Pentaprism and 105mm on eBay. Came with boxes and is in what looks to be mint condition.
When I assembled the prism and lens I noticed the meter display wasn't showing through the viewfinder. Also, the shutter would not fire. The LCD display was working, but I thought it could be batteries so I went to Radio Shack and bought new 3V batteries. Once new batteries loaded, the meter display showed up, but shutter still would not fire. Thought possibly it was because it wasn't loaded with film. So I loaded with film, and advanced to 1. Meter was showing but shutter still would not fire. Then when I pressed all the way down I heard a very faint "click" and the meter display immediately disappeared again. Removed batteries, and reloaded them. Meter back in action, then when press shutter down it went black again. Shutter still not firing. Turned camera off, scratched head, searched Google and Youtube for what I may be doing wrong, and then decided I better join this forum and make a post. Any help/suggestions are much appreciated.
PS: I don't want to return the Camera if I don't have to, especially if its something simple or something that can be serviced for minor expenditure.

02-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. What is the shutter speed dial set to? Other than that it may be a film loading issue. The film advance lever needs to be gently moved forward until it freely comes back or the shutter can not be pressed.

Phil.
02-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
CDW
Veteran Member

It may be worthwhile for you to check out the 67mkII troubleshooting section of the manual, available on the Ricoh Imaging USA website. The PDF can be downloaded. Here's a link:

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/578_1314745110-223216792_manual.pdf
02-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I remember having read, that the shutter does not fire until the camera is loaded with film. Did you try to fire the shutter with or without film?

02-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Welcome to the forum. What is the shutter speed dial set to? Other than that it may be a film loading issue. The film advance lever needs to be gently moved forward until it freely comes back or the shutter can not be pressed.

Phil.
Shutter speed was set to various speeds. Did not seem to effect condition.
02-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
I remember having read, that the shutter does not fire until the camera is loaded with film. Did you try to fire the shutter with or without film?
Tried with both film loaded and not loaded. Same situation under both scenarios. I can see that it may affect shutter, but why would meter display stop working when I depress the shutter?
02-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
Thanks.
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Not sure about 67II, but have you tried to test with prism off?
Also, does B yield the same condition of non-firing shutter?

02-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Not sure about 67II, but have you tried to test with prism off?
Also, does B yield the same condition of non-firing shutter?
Did not try with prism off. Spoke to Pentax service today. going to send in for repairs. Possible solenoid. Will update thread with diagnosis once received. Thanks all.
02-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I had purchased a 67II body with a jammed shutter (nice price) and sent it off to KEH.com for repairs. If I remember correctly, the tech I spoke with said this is not uncommon with 67IIs he has seen and the repair was not too bad - $200 or so.

QuoteOriginally posted by jamo Quote
Did not try with prism off. Spoke to Pentax service today. going to send in for repairs. Possible solenoid. Will update thread with diagnosis once received. Thanks all.
02-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, I sen't it off to C.R.I.S. (Pentax Repair) and total came to $295. Here's what it needed:
ESTIMATE TO DISASSEMBLE CAMERA TO REPLACE WINDING STOPPER SPRING
REPLACE CLICK SWITCH
ADJUST MAGNETIC INTERFACES
ADJUST SHUTTER SPEEDS AND CURTAIN RUN TIMES
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEANLUBE AS REQUIRED
04-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #12

I'm assuming you contacted eBay and the seller as well? I've been leery of buying any "new" 67ii because I was concerned that I'd be in your position, or worse.