Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 03:02 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
Well, there is a "empty slot" on the dial. Maybe there will be a little video symbol and they photoshopped it out?
I suppose that's a definite possibility.

02-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
Well, there is a "empty slot" on the dial. Maybe there will be a little video symbol and they photoshopped it out?
Well spotted. Can't see why there'd be an empty slot otherwise. And perhaps the LV button is above the Info button and obscured by the tilting screen? But why would Pentax play such silly games?
02-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Well spotted. Can't see why there'd be an empty slot otherwise. And perhaps the LV button is above the Info button and obscured by the tilting screen? But why would Pentax play such silly games?
Cuz you gotta keep your Ace in the hole. Can't show all your cards at once.
02-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Another definite possibility. Regarding silly games, I think they're kinda industry standard.

02-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #20
CDW
Veteran Member

If Ricoh/Pentax really wanted to shake up the video world, they certainly could if they surprised everyone with a digital MF body capable of shooting 4K UHD video at traditional frame rates. I doubt it will happen but it would be certainly would get the attention of the competition.
02-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
If Ricoh/Pentax really wanted to shake up the video world, they certainly could if they surprised everyone with a digital MF body capable of shooting 4K UHD video at traditional frame rates. I doubt it will happen but it would be certainly would get the attention of the competition.
I find that more likely and more exciting than a 645d that shoots 8k. I just don't know how likely either actually is given the video capabilities of Pentax's past cameras.
02-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Phase One back with the same sensor is going to sell for 34k. I think we are all dreaming if we think this will be 10k. I would bet it will be 20k. This is a brand new sensor currently not available in any back. Not an older sensor like what the first 645D came with. There was a lot of added R&D that went into this it seams. Different AF, hopefully comparable to the actual frame rather than a hack in from a k7. R&D for live view and processing for such large files.

Probably not going to be too many existing 645D owners that upgrade. The real benefit to this is the performance for the non landscape user (sure a big improvement for long exposure landscapes but about it). Performance is for those that use the camera outside of the main usage. Wildlife, sports, handheld journalism, etc. Would I benefit from it sure would. Could I justify that price over a Nikon d800 to get by in those occasions? Nope not unless it is less than 15k...
02-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

no way this beast shoot 4k video. Video is never a Pentax thing, they add it simply because competition has it and they are usually the last one to add video.

and videographer is really not the target of MF user!

02-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
The Phase One back with the same sensor is going to sell for 34k. I think we are all dreaming if we think this will be 10k. I would bet it will be 20k. This is a brand new sensor currently not available in any back. Not an older sensor like what the first 645D came with. There was a lot of added R&D that went into this it seams. Different AF, hopefully comparable to the actual frame rather than a hack in from a k7. R&D for live view and processing for such large files.
Yeah, even at 20k, if the new 645D performs, I think they can give Hasselblad and Phase a run for their money.
02-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Well one of the big advantages of this is that it is much more usable handheld. The previous 645D with a max usable ISO of about 400 meant it was hard to impossible to handhold steady enough to grab sharpness from all 40mp in landscape settings. From the shots I have seen from the Phase back with this sensor the old ISO 400 is now the new ISO 6400. There is the big improvement. Video on it is a waist of time, and R&D.

I just want to know how cheap Pentax can sell it for. Will Ricoh play a similar game as Hoya did on the first 645D? That is skimp on a few features and bring the camera to market with the intent of making money from selling larger quantities at lower profits or will they stick like the others and seller fewer at higher profits each? If the cards are played right it could mean the same profits and bringing more customers in to buy lenses. Just hope they don't skimp too much because the AF could use a big improvement along with processing speed. I didn't need those, but it was needed to really complete the kit.
02-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
I just want to know how cheap Pentax can sell it for. Will Ricoh play a similar game as Hoya did on the first 645D? That is skimp on a few features and bring the camera to market with the intent of making money from selling larger quantities at lower profits or will they stick like the others and seller fewer at higher profits each? If the cards are played right it could mean the same profits and bringing more customers in to buy lenses. Just hope they don't skimp too much because the AF could use a big improvement along with processing speed. I didn't need those, but it was needed to really complete the kit.
Based on the wailing about pricing in the teleconverter discussions, I'm sure someone will object, but I'd rather see Ricoh focus on producing great products for higher, but competitive prices than cutting too many corners shooting for a bargain basement price.
02-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I really hope it does come in at $10k. The thing the 645D did really well was make digital medium format available and attractive to lots of people. The 645Dii should do the same. Going above 10k is a massive difference and getting near to 20k just makes it a whole other demographic. I also think most people, once they get up to those figures, would think Phase and Blad, not Pentax (due to branding, lens availability and - most importantly - proper support). I speak as a 645D owner who loves it by the way - and who would probably upgrade at 10k, but definitely not if it is much more.
02-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I hope they actually start bringing it to market sooner than later. That plastic model in the pictures is not too convincing. And the mock up of the "wide angle zoom", very very ambiguous......Sadly, all this talk still feels like 2016 before a US warranty camera body becomes available. I really hope to be proved wrong.........
02-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #29
CDW
Veteran Member

Well one of the big advantages of this is that it is much more usable handheld. The previous 645D with a max usable ISO of about 400 meant it was hard to impossible to handhold steady enough to grab sharpness from all 40mp in landscape settings.

Actually, it's a myth the 645D can't produce usable image beyond ISO400. I've shot handheld at ISO800 & 1600 with excellent results. It all depends on subject and contrast conditions. Other 645D owners have also confirmed it's high ISO capability, as well. If you want to see the confirmation, go to DXOMark and compare the noise curves of the 645D vs those of the D800e. When you correct for the ISO error of the D800e, you'll see the noise performance of the 645D is not that far off the 800e.

02-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Well one of the big advantages of this is that it is much more usable handheld. The previous 645D with a max usable ISO of about 400 meant it was hard to impossible to handhold steady enough to grab sharpness from all 40mp in landscape settings.

Actually, it's a myth the 645D can't produce usable image beyond ISO400. I've shot handheld at ISO800 & 1600 with excellent results. It all depends on subject and contrast conditions. Other 645D owners have also confirmed it's high ISO capability, as well. If you want to see the confirmation, go to DXOMark and compare the noise curves of the 645D vs those of the D800e. When you correct for the ISO error of the D800e, you'll see the noise performance of the 645D is not that far off the 800e.

Usable image vs full potential of the sensor are two different things. From my usage I am not happy with anything over 400 and that it is full utilisation of the capability. ISO's over that cannot print to the same size as ISO's less than that, aka not utilising the full potential of the 40mp... Also shadow noise goes up a lot higher due to less dynamic range. I guess it would depend on what your subject. I personally seldom shoot subjects with the same exposure throughout.

I wouldn't waist my time handholding for landscapes just to use ISO 1600 on the 645D. If I am going to all that effort I will put it on a tripod and use ISO 200. If there is no choice but to handhold there are better options.

Consider for example a image taken handheld at ISO 1600 on a Pentax 645D. The same image could be captured cleaner on a D800 with the improved dynamic range and image stabilised lenses at say ISO 800... Or ISO 200 on a tripod.

All I said was the new sensor is a huge benefit in those circumstances...