Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Ricoh is large enough to put some serious money into MFD and offer a range of MFD options. That, a wide array of modern lenses, presents in camera stores and competitive pricing and I think they could do well in that segment.

02-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I certainly am, but I'm not in the market to buy one.

I think it really puts Pentax in a great position, to have the same sensor as Phase One and Hasselblad.

If I ever need one I can rent it - and if I ever really need one, then I'd buy it.

I also think Pentax needs to release a FF (135 format) in order to elevate both it and the 645D 2014. By not having a gap between the 645D and K-3 etc. it will make Pentax (rightly) appear as a premium choice.
no me, it's like coffee in a restaurant, you get the crem and sugar just right and the waitress comes along and messes it up. I've got my lenses, flash unit, lens support, teleconverters, and all my other goodies. I have less than 1000 shots. I hope that the new model has some changes that I thought of, but, mine does enough of what I want to last me another 30 yrs. after that i'll be gone .
03-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I am now quite interested in MF. I came across a review of the D4 vs K5IIs and the presenter made some valid points for Pentax to focus more on MF. I am only interested in still photography so I hope that Ricoh makes the newer MF cameras better suited to being handheld and used outside of a studio. I hope that future versions have better ISO performance, faster file handling and built in shake reduction. Maybe (if possible) an adapter for the FA lenses would be nice as well.

On a side note I have been thinking about Pentax's position and I am now thinking that going into FF is a misstep. Why compete directly with Canikon when you can move into a more advanced market like MF. The scary thing for Canikon is if Ricoh manages to make a MF with better specs as I mentioned above and releases it for $6500. Theoretical, yes...but maybe it is not too far fetched?

Last edited by noVICE; 03-06-2014 at 07:12 PM.
03-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
I am now quite interested in MF. I came across a review of the D4 vs K5IIs and the presenter made some valid points for Pentax to focus more on MF. I am only interested in still photography so I hope that Ricoh makes the newer MF cameras better suited to being handheld and used outside of a studio. I hope that future versions have better ISO performance, faster file handling and built in shake reduction. Maybe (if possible) an adapter for the FA lenses would be nice as well.

On a side note I have been thinking about Pentax's position and I am now thinking that going into FF is a misstep. Why compete directly with Canikon when you can move into a more advanced market like MF. The scary thing for Canikon is if Ricoh manages to make a MF with better specs as I mentioned above and releases it for $6500. Theoretical, yes...but maybe it is not too far fetched?
The Pentax 645 system has optical SR. The new wide angle zoom will have it.

03-07-2014, 04:13 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote

Medium format has been and will continue to be a niche market. Pentax isn't releasing a 6500 dollar medium format camera, although maybe the 645D will drop to that on clearance. Even if it did, the cost of the lenses is prohibitive. These aren't do everything cameras, anyway, they have a few things they do extremely well and a lot of things that they don't do so well. I just don't see Pentax taking a big bite out of the full frame market with even an awesome medium format line-up.
03-07-2014, 04:15 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm as excited as I would be if Subaru made a competitor to the Bugatti Veyron.
It's awesome the guys who make my WR-X can match it with the big boys, but I'll never buy one.
03-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Medium format has been and will continue to be a niche market. Pentax isn't releasing a 6500 dollar medium format camera, although maybe the 645D will drop to that on clearance. Even if it did, the cost of the lenses is prohibitive. These aren't do everything cameras, anyway, they have a few things they do extremely well and a lot of things that they don't do so well. I just don't see Pentax taking a big bite out of the full frame market with even an awesome medium format line-up.
Only the brand new lenses are expensive, the used 645 are almost all great lenses at very reasonable prices. I think the 645D has already dropped to around that price. I agree that the 645D is not an all around great camera for all applications, as I found when trying to shoot some wildlife, but it's sure great for landscapes.

03-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ryan they are expensive, but boy are they good.

I have to new 90mm and it's fantastic. I used the 25mm DFA on a workshop 2 weeks ago and it's awesome, a little CA but it cleans up so easily in post.

I actually like to 55 too, no real complaints, maybe a bit better overall contrast but it's nice and sharp.

I am waiting for the new wide angle zoom before making the decision to get it though.
03-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Ryan they are expensive, but boy are they good.

I have to new 90mm and it's fantastic. I used the 25mm DFA on a workshop 2 weeks ago and it's awesome, a little CA but it cleans up so easily in post.

I actually like to 55 too, no real complaints, maybe a bit better overall contrast but it's nice and sharp.

I am waiting for the new wide angle zoom before making the decision to get it though.

I have the 25mm D FA and think it's a great lens. I'll consider the wide angle zoom when it comes out as well!
03-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In Japan, you can get the 645D brand new for $5850 in BIC camera (604,000YN) and get 5% tax back too....I was in the store yesterday...
03-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without seeing it and how much it costs, I have no idea. All I know is that I am fine with my D, and I don't know why it needs improvement, really.