Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Who else is excited about the 645D 2014?

I know I am.

Over the last few years I have migrated from a Canon 20D, to Micro Four-thirds, to a Leica M9 plus a Sony Nex 6, then on to a 645D.

I felt that I have taken some of my best images with the Nex6 because of live view (I only shoot landscape) and now that I have the 645D I really enjoy shooting with it and the file quality is excellent.

However I have really wanted to use live view with the 645D and it looks like we might get the chance to.

I am not sure the Ricoh should have wasted valuable resources on putting video into the new 645D as I am not sure that those who buy a MF camera buy it for video.

All that aside, I really hope that the live view is powerful enough to crop in to 100% and move around the screen to allow fine focus.

Plus on top of this, the new ultra-wide zoom should be just what the doctor ordered.

Anyway, some discussion other than rumors would be nice on this topic so I thought I would start a thread.

Cheers, Scott

02-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simple response, I am as well. Whether it's the 645D or this new one, somewhere in the next year or two, I will own one. The new guy should lower the cost of the 645D and as I already have lenses for my 645 film system, it's the body I'm missing. I full feel that this is a good thing.
02-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can add my voice to that as well. I've been trying to stay disciplined and glad I've held off as this new 645D may be just the tool to refocus my photography. I'm not too fussed on video capability, but if this model includes video it might just draw in a new breed of image makers to the Ricoh/Pentx fold. Both a good and bad thing I guess. For now it's wait and see what the capability of this unit will be and what sort of price it will be too. Now do I have enough wall space?
02-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it will be interesting to see the features, unfortunately its not going to be within my price range unless I win lotto for now. Maybe sometime in the future, but I am sure we will be another model or 2 advanced by then

02-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I certainly am, but I'm not in the market to buy one.

I think it really puts Pentax in a great position, to have the same sensor as Phase One and Hasselblad.

If I ever need one I can rent it - and if I ever really need one, then I'd buy it.

I also think Pentax needs to release a FF (135 format) in order to elevate both it and the 645D 2014. By not having a gap between the 645D and K-3 etc. it will make Pentax (rightly) appear as a premium choice.
02-14-2014, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I'm excited that Ricoh hasn't stopped development on the Pentax 645D. The world needs someone to push the staid and stuffy medium-format digital market forward!
02-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree.

It is promising to see that there is a future for MF with Ricoh/Pentax.

As a landscape shooter I do not really need interchangeable backs, because by the time I am ready for an upgrade there are usually new body features that I could benefit from as well.

02-14-2014, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I certainly am, but I'm not in the market to buy one.
Yeah, I think a lot of us feel this way. I mean, hey, I would love to get a 645DII and some nice lenses for it, but I need to buy a car first, and the cost is not that different
Definitely exciting for the brand, though. Maybe someone on these forums will purchase one and share some good photos
02-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Name change for 645D2014

I am really excited about the new 645D, but think a more appropriate name would be 645D-50. The new sensors with more pixels would be -XX for later models.
02-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I am really excited about the new 645D, but think a more appropriate name would be 645D-50. The new sensors with more pixels would be -XX for later models.
Not a bad idea considering that other MF makers like to put the MP resolution in as part of the name.

However, if Pentax isn't considering releasing any other models concurrently, it might be better not to point this fact out to the buyer. The way it is now (if they continue to have only one choice) it's almost like saying "we have only one sensor. But obviously it's the best since it's the latest model the others also use. You don't even need to consider their 'inferior' older 80MP CCD options and such!" This psychology works like Canon and Nikon pretending there's no such thing as MF digital - "it's there, but you'd never want it!" they quietly suggest.

Last edited by DSims; 02-14-2014 at 10:07 PM.
02-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I have absolutely no use for video in a dslr. I hope they do better than $5000,00 in a new lens. lets not get up there with Hasse and Mamiya. with an already limited market, they have done little to increase their owner base as far as cost is concerned. it's as if they said "if you don't have big bucks we don't care about you".
02-15-2014, 04:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Way out of my budget but I'm glad Pentax is still working on it. In discussions I've had with other photography enthusiasts a couple have said the only Pentax they would ever consider is the 645D. Shows the product has the respect out there in the world.
02-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
I hope they do better than $5000,00 in a new lens

Given that the 25mm prime was 5K I highly doubt a wide angle zoom will be any less. I predict $6500-$7500 for that lens.
02-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

possible specs at Photo rumours - $10k. I need to sell off an unused body part.

Last edited by hsteeves; 02-15-2014 at 02:10 PM.
02-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #15

I am as well. Either to snatch up a second 645D for a steal or to get the next generation. I hope shutter longevity is improved. I am also interested in the zoom, even though I could imaging the 6-7K estimate is correct.

For decades, the nice thing about Pentax was that you could get lenses with better optical and mechanical properties than the competition for about half the price. Now that they are joining the rest of the medium format club and still offer the inexpensive bodies, some folks are not too happy about their new prices, but I think Pentax still offers tremendous value and in general seems to keep the quality, at least as far as 645 is concerned.