Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
another 645D 2014 thread

For anyone thinking of the 645D 2014 model . Try to make sure that some of the shortcomings that no one talks about are solved before putting your 10K down on one.

THE SENSOR SPLIT ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ERADICATED ON THE NEXT MODEL !!!

Pentax , make the 2014 model so that it never ever under any circumstance has sensor split. The effect of which is detailed elsewhere in this forum, and an issue known about by pentax. Current 645D owners , speak now on this under discussed issue. This one critical handicap must be solved. Give me an upgraded model with which i can shoot a subject , small in frame, lit, surrounded by darkness, and not have the file ruined by sensor split. Give me a 645D that won't ruin shots with solid backgrounds. Sell me a 645D that doesnt need to be told exactly what kelvin setting to use on every shot because any form of auto or preset on the current model risks sensor split ruining yet another shot.

02-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
split problem, can be corrected in post processing.
02-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It often can, but sometimes it is difficult and requires a lot of work. And it should not be required at all.

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 09:56 AM ----------

The thing I want from this new model is the ability to turn off the dark frame behaviour on long exposures - regardless of the length.
02-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #4

C-Mos -> no analogue 2-channel readout, but swapping to C-Mos will bring other problems.

-Linus-

02-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aren't we stretching our fears a bit too wide?
Everything about new 645D is brand new, from sensor tech to the image processor.
This is more like a K-3's big brother, with nothing in common to an old 645D apart from the size of camera.
02-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yea, the sensor is completely different in this one. CMOS, more MP.. a whole new can of worms
02-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #7

Any answer that is fix it in post processing is no answer at all.

02-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
Any answer that is fix it in post processing is no answer at all.
Agreed - not acceptable at this $10K level equipment....
02-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

Well not noticed this problem with any of my shots. Maybe I am lucky
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've only noticed this problem once, and it was when I was trying to REALLY push a night sky image in ACR. Because the lenses and ISO capabilities aren't ideal for the application I just decided I shouldn't even try to do night sky images with the 645D and if I want to get serious I need a modern full frame DSLR (or wait for 645D 2014
02-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #11

I think what pentax has to fix is the auto exposure system, as well as the auto focus. The auto focus shows it's age but can be tamed if one knows what do, while the auto exposure is always off as far as getting a good optimized histogram goes. How about doing what blackmagic does in their cameras? Ditch the old photography metering methods developed for film and basically have a setting that allows for exposing as far to the right of the histogram without clipping a channel. Perhaps have the ability to set a threshold for how many pixels get clipped ?
02-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

"Ditch the old photography metering methods developed for film and basically have a setting that allows for exposing as far to the right of the histogram without clipping a channel."

Oh? LOL! Actually, the problems I am seeing repeatedly in digital photography are at the photographer's end, not the cameras. There is not a metering system on earth that has not been formulated as a matrice against the Zone System (which all photographers should have a working knowledge of). There is no point in ditching methods that were tried and proven for film and provide the correct results in digital. So the weakness is...?

And if you're shooting in conditions that are beyond the sensor dynamic range, what do you do, blame the camera? Why? Fair go. There are many tricks to control scenes that photographers blame on their cameras for getting wrong.

Time to get back to basics.
02-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Oh? LOL! Actually, the problems I am seeing repeatedly in digital photography are at the photographer's end, not the cameras
Wow, really ?

I won't want to start a pissing contest here, but that's a incredibly cliché thing to say. Sure, a lot of time time it is the photographer but having done darkroom and large format film shooting for over 10 years (and still doing it) my command over the zone system is adequate enough to know it has very little to do with digital exposure. With digital you want to get as much information into your raw as you can without clipping, that's all, and the antiquated metering found in most (if not all) still cameras does not accomplish this. The blackmagic motion cameras have a ETTR button which is convenient when you are busy shooting in the field. The zone system approach is great for a large format photography approach but not for when (for example) a heard of horses with various luminance patches of fur is running through the fame and you want to optimize your captured data.

But don't take my word for it, take your 645D and try going outside and let the auto exposure meter do it's thing while you do a 360º series of images and look at the histograms of the files.

Last edited by larkis; 02-26-2014 at 09:12 PM.
02-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #14

Looks like the new wide angle zoom may be 28-45mm, based on the new pdf published on the Pentax web site. Just a guess, but exciting if true! If it ever emerges...
02-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I think what pentax has to fix is the auto exposure system, as well as the auto focus. The auto focus shows it's age but can be tamed if one knows what do, while the auto exposure is always off as far as getting a good optimized histogram goes. How about doing what blackmagic does in their cameras? Ditch the old photography metering methods developed for film and basically have a setting that allows for exposing as far to the right of the histogram without clipping a channel. Perhaps have the ability to set a threshold for how many pixels get clipped ?

I only use Manual Exposure, but think this idea would be genius! Especially with the dynamic range of modern cameras...It's sort of a failsafe because as long as you save the highlights you can almost always pull out enough detail from the shadows.