Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Price drop

I think read some where about a new version of the 645 with tilt screen is that correct I did I imagine it?

If that is the case do we assume like every other Pentax model that is superseded that the existing 645d will drop in price and be discontinued at some point?

If the above is correct, or assumed to be, are there any major reasons not to buy the current version performance and IQ wise if this price drop happens?

If I bought a 645 is there one lens in particular to get (or stay away from) since I could probably only afford one lens ?

Is there some where I can find original raw images to down load to open in LR from a 645d ?

I am particularly interested in the IQ when heavily cropped as if a larger focal length had been used.

Last edited by adwb; 02-22-2014 at 02:01 AM.
02-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Prices will likely drop further, if not for new cameras than for used ones.

Whether you should buy it or not depends on what types of pictures you want to take and if it's a value for you, of course.

I don't know what you mean by 'heavily cropped'... but it's almost certain that for the lenses you'd likely use on the 645D, you'd be better off with the K-5 you already have if you're cropping to APS-C. On a per-mm basis, the 645D wasn't as good as the Sony sensor IMO.
02-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I have 2 K5 bodies , sigma 2.8. 28-70 hsm and a tamron 2.8 70-200 and a few old a or m primes that I have had with various bodies and used for wedding and portraiture and glamour for years, but as I have given up on weddings I as thinking of selling the lot and getting a 645 with ? Size lens hence the question about cropping to enlarge or retain a part of a bigger image.
With the crop sensor depending obviously on the lens iq ; a given f stop ,and the sharpness achieved by focus and shutter speed , cropping in tight can often give acceptable results but I wondered how much better it would work with a 645 raw hence the request for one or two to play with.
Maybe a couple put in drop box or similar where I can download them from?
02-22-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I think read some where about a new version of the 645 with tilt screen is that correct I did I imagine it?

If that is the case do we assume like every other Pentax model that is superseded that the existing 645d will drop in price and be discontinued at some point?

If the above is correct, or assumed to be, are there any major reasons not to buy the current version performance and IQ wise if this price drop happens?

If I bought a 645 is there one lens in particular to get (or stay away from) since I could probably only afford one lens ?

Is there some where I can find original raw images to down load to open in LR from a 645d ?

I am particularly interested in the IQ when heavily cropped as if a larger focal length had been used.
There are a few test files here:
Nikon D800E vs. Pentax 645D - Image Quality: Studio Tests - PentaxForums.com

I think the 645D will just go out of stock rather than go on sale. My guess would be that Its value (used) will probably fall to around $3-4k with the new model out there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam thank you for that info.
Having read the comparison review I now doubt unless something drastic happens to prices that I would get a 645, indeed it more likely I would go go a full frame , as I see no point in going to a K 3 , as the differences would not make a major difference to my images .
02-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you know for certain that you are going to get a 645D or 645D II, then I suggest getting your lenses now. I've got a sneaky suspicion that just like when the 645D was released, the prices for used 645 lenses will increase sharply once the new body is released. The most popular of the lenses, the one that had the highest increase in price was the FA 35mm f/3.5. A few years ago it was selling for $1,300 - $1,600. Now it can be found for about $950. The FA 150 f/2.8 is also hard to find.