Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
What is that filter holder he is using. Never seen anything like it but I like it how a standard screw on circular polariser can be mounted out front and still use rectangular filters behind it.

I agree with a lot of what he says. I think he should have put some thought into talking about weighting the tripod and choice of quality tripod heads. Can make a big difference as far as the weight goes. I have found these and find them fantastic. I don't like hanging a camera bag underneath as I often want to get into it or my larger pack hangs too far down etc. These buckets can be filler with water, sand, gravel, rocks, etc. basically whatever is around you. Fold up small and light as well.

Amazon.com: Seattle Sports Camp Bucket (Blue): Sports & Outdoors
nice suggestion, this bucket. i use my gear bag, but something this compact is a better idea since i may need to get back into my gear bag, haha.

Also, does anyone lay a sand bag over their longer lenses? Ive noticed my 300mm is pretty sensitive to vibration and much of that motion is likely wind movement up top. thinking about finding a heavy bag to lay over it.

03-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
nice suggestion, this bucket. i use my gear bag, but something this compact is a better idea since i may need to get back into my gear bag, haha.

Also, does anyone lay a sand bag over their longer lenses? Ive noticed my 300mm is pretty sensitive to vibration and much of that motion is likely wind movement up top. thinking about finding a heavy bag to lay over it.
I used to use one of those reusable grocery bags until I saw these while strolling through REI. I find that just strolling around is the best way to repurpose something where something wasn't designed. These are much stronger and even hold water.

Putting weight on top of the lens is a good solution for a not quite strong enough head. Strength ratings of heads of often misunderstood. As weight increase we often need even less vibration. Since as weight goes up the focal length also usually goes up so the slightest vibration results in more movement in the head. If you have a bean bag for resting on a car window it will also work great for that. The bag on top although it adds weight seems to slow the vibration. I wouldn't say it reduces it but makes the movement a slower motion those meaning slower movement in the frame...

One of these days I'll do a big article on my experience with support systems, I have bought and sold over 10k in support systems over the years and made a lot of mistakes and also learned a lot...
03-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter

I used to use one of those reusable grocery bags until I saw these while strolling through REI. I find that just strolling around is the best way to repurpose something where something wasn't designed. These are much stronger and even hold water.

Putting weight on top of the lens is a good solution for a not quite strong enough head. Strength ratings of heads of often misunderstood. As weight increase we often need even less vibration. Since as weight goes up the focal length also usually goes up so the slightest vibration results in more movement in the head. If you have a bean bag for resting on a car window it will also work great for that. The bag on top although it adds weight seems to slow the vibration. I wouldn't say it reduces it but makes the movement a slower motion those meaning slower movement in the frame...

One of these days I'll do a big article on my experience with support systems, I have bought and sold over 10k in support systems over the years and made a lot of mistakes and also learned a lot...
So you haven't tried it then? I was hoping to get some input on what people are using before I order one. Thanks.
My tripod head is more than capable for my rig, btw.
03-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
So you haven't tried it then? I was hoping to get some input on what people are using before I order one. Thanks.
My tripod head is more than capable for my rig, btw.
Not sure if I understand which you are asking me if I have tried? But I have done both and do both on regular occasions.

Not sure what head you have. I found that the wimberly and the Kirk BH-1 head were not enough to properly support and prevent vibration on my 645 600mm 5.6. Even though these are rated to like 50lbs and the gear is far less than that. I had to move up to a Arca Swiss Z2 ball head which is rated for 130lbs. The wimberly and BH1 performed fine with my k mount 300mm 2.8 and 645 FA* 300mm though... So until I upgraded I would through my bean bag on top of the lens. It really seemed to slow the vibration down. basically how fast it moved back and forth and up and down. It didn't really change how far it moved but basically less Hz, or cycles per second...

I already had the bean bag though since I use it a lot out a car window and to hold my camera down in the passenger seat as I am driving...

03-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to see that. I've struggled to stabilize long lenses. Here's my solution for the 600mm and even it is not enough at very slow shutter speeds, where I need to add the Manfrotto long lens support to ensure a rigid system.

03-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Not sure if I understand which you are asking me if I have tried? But I have done both and do both on regular occasions.

Not sure what head you have. I found that the wimberly and the Kirk BH-1 head were not enough to properly support and prevent vibration on my 645 600mm 5.6. Even though these are rated to like 50lbs and the gear is far less than that. I had to move up to a Arca Swiss Z2 ball head which is rated for 130lbs. The wimberly and BH1 performed fine with my k mount 300mm 2.8 and 645 FA* 300mm though... So until I upgraded I would through my bean bag on top of the lens. It really seemed to slow the vibration down. basically how fast it moved back and forth and up and down. It didn't really change how far it moved but basically less Hz, or cycles per second...

I already had the bean bag though since I use it a lot out a car window and to hold my camera down in the passenger seat as I am driving...
Thank you for being more clear.