Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10 Landscape Tips with 645D

Hi, I just spotted this video

I thought you might be interested in watching in this section, I don't know if it has been posted already.

Enjoy

02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Great video! Some truly inspiring and helpful insight. I assume when you wrote with the "645D," you realized it wasn't Pentax. Or does Pentax make Phase One?
02-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My bad 😳
I assumed that 645D was just the name for Pentax medium format cameras, did not know that there were other manufacturer using the same model name.
02-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good video...one difference of opinion...I like to keep my camera strap on (and if it's windy I then wrap it around the camera to minimize how much wind it catches). With the heavier body it's very hand to use the strap when swapping lenses and just as a general safety measure to keep from dropping it.

When I was shooting the below image it was my first time working with my RRS nodal slide and I forgot to tighten it all the way down...when I went to reposition my tripod the camera slide off and was headed straight for the rapids, but at the last second I was able to reach down and snag it by the strap before it smacked into the rocks and was almost surely washed away. If I didn't have a camera strap I would not have caught it (and my 645D would most likely be no more than an insurance claim).

Moral of the story...don't be an idiot and forget to tighten the knobs on your tripod, but if you do a camera strap may yet save the day!

02-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
good save Ryan! amazing photo there.

dltorre, thanks for sharing the video. certainly some good advice and his images look good. Phase One makes a good system for those who can afford it, lol.

Regarding the strap, I have a combination neck strap/hand stap, so when i mount to the tripod, i usually clip out the long section and then clip the short strap through the metal frame of my three way head as an extra precaution if the QR plate releases accidentally.

BTW, the Pentax 645D (and i believe 645N and maybe others too) have a very prominent knob for Mirror up on top of the camera which is really nice. I often shoot in darkness, and try not to use any light so my eyes can stay adjusted, and being able to feel all the buttons on the camera easily is really important.
02-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A bit off topic perhaps, but seeing the Phase One from some angles makes me wonder whether the K-30s unusual design was inspired by it.
02-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This video shows where photography gone. Super expensive digital equipment and yet publishers are paying less than they did 10 years ago. Most publishers don't take pro level shots themselves and yet they are the ones that have determined that pros use digital.

02-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
This video shows where photography gone. Super expensive digital equipment and yet publishers are paying less than they did 10 years ago. Most publishers don't take pro level shots themselves and yet they are the ones that have determined that pros use digital.
huh?
There are inexpensive digital cameras too.
02-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Not many pros using inexpensive digital cameras though.
02-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Not many pros using inexpensive digital cameras though.
a "pro" can use a $1,500 camera. It doesn't need to cost $40K. Photography hasn't "gone" to super expensive cameras. Your statement puzzles me.
02-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It also doesn't need to be a $10,000 645D!! Especially — very especially, when there is a deficient foundation photography skill base.
02-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I said not many, I didn't say no pros are using inexpensive digital. I am not using expensive digital, as I use medium format film and am a heretic in our modern times. The thinking now is that any pro using film has to be a fool since digital is so much superior, right? Publishers would do well to remember that it is not about the capture type but about the image quality.
02-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Those are provocative statements...I'm not gonna bite.
02-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Sorry for the rant. It was meant to be rhetorical more than anything else.
03-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What is that filter holder he is using. Never seen anything like it but I like it how a standard screw on circular polariser can be mounted out front and still use rectangular filters behind it.

I agree with a lot of what he says. I think he should have put some thought into talking about weighting the tripod and choice of quality tripod heads. Can make a big difference as far as the weight goes. I have found these and find them fantastic. I don't like hanging a camera bag underneath as I often want to get into it or my larger pack hangs too far down etc. These buckets can be filler with water, sand, gravel, rocks, etc. basically whatever is around you. Fold up small and light as well.

Amazon.com: Seattle Sports Camp Bucket (Blue): Sports & Outdoors