Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Groundloop, I don't plan on doing any portraiture or anything like that with it. I would mainly be using it for landscape/nature stuff. I'm a fan of wide angle and have my eye on the pentax 45mm for the 67. Does mamiya have a simialr lens? I'm considering the pentax route because I'm familiar with pentax- I have absolutely no knowledge of the mamiya system.
The widest rectilinear lens in the system is a 50mm F4.5. They also have a 37mm fisheye. Wacky stuff. I did a lot of landscape (urban and leafy) with the RZ67, and the revolving back is a great feature in any application.

I bought an RZ because I knew I wanted a modular medium format, and I wanted 6x7 for maximum film area. The Bronica GS-1 was too unwieldy, especially in portrait orientation, and the Pentax 67 didn't have interchangeable backs, so for me the RZ67 was the winner.

YMMV.

04-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Interesting thoughts, Groundloop...thanks. This is all so overwhelming at first...
04-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #18

Dude! Check out these posts, including mine... The 67 is an awesome system, and there's a number of other users on here using it...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/20388-pentax-67-users.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/19195-my-first...sh-images.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/22982-medium-format.html
04-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter

The 6x7 system from Pentax has been and still is used by many top professional photographers...both nature and fashion. There are several lenses with synch speeds above 1/30--the leaf shutter lenses. I'm a matrix meter geek so I really enjoy the most recent incarnation of the 6x7. It's called the 67II and can be fit with an AE pentaprism providing similar metering to modern digital cameras. The 67II came out around the turn of the century--though I'm sure a researcher can tell us exactly (was it '98 or '01? I can't remember but I have two 67II's and love them).

The 67II offers TTL ease with 500FTZ flash which is available very inexpensively as it doesn't work with modern Pentax digital cameras.

The widest rectilinear lens is actually 45mm which equates to about 22mm in 35mm terms. When the camera came out, Pentax also released some new lenses and some newer incarnations of lenses. There are two high quality zooms available which I'm unfamiliar with. The M*300/4 EDIF lens and the 100/4 Macro are two of the new lenses that came out roughly the same time as the 67II. I have both lenses and they are unbelievable (check my reviews in the lens database).

I run a small 67II kit, two bodies, 45/4, 100 Macro, 300/4, 400/4 and flash. Yeah, a few accesories too...

The first time you try one of these big ol' cameras, the mirror slap feels like the camera is jumping out of your hands! It isn't, but vibration is an issue even on a tripod. I discuss some of these issues under the review of the M*400 in the lens data base. Please note that several tests by magazines appx 10 years ago proved conclusively that even in smallish 35mm cameras, mirror lock-up makes a noticeable difference in sharpness. This is definitely a factor in 6x7 work as well. Choose better shutter speed ranges and use mirror lock-up and you'll do fine. I have a buddy who only uses his 67 and 67II's handheld without lock up and he thinks I'm nuts to use a tripod and mirror lock up. His work actually appeared in the set decoration of a major TV series a few years ago, the one with David Duchovny, I can't remember the name of it...Anyway, I shoot landscapes and always on a tripod, but this camera works great hand held too.

Used market values are very skewed to the buyer right now so have fun!

04-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Have two of the 67. Great cameras. Far better image quality than 645. There is as big a difference going from 645 to 6x7 as there is from 35 to 645. Don't buy original non mirror lockup 6x7. They had lots of issues that were fixed with the mlu version. Also 6x7 can shoot both 120 or 220 by switching pressure plate in camera. 645 requires buying 120 and 220 inserts.
The 645 is more like shooting a 35 af camera with motor drive. The 67 is more like using the old lovable K1000 (67II is inbetween). Also like the ability to change finders on 6x7. Feel 645 isn't big enough over 35 to build a whole nother system around. Ymmv.
thanks
barondla
67 transparencies will take your breath away!
04-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #21

You should consider a 4x5 folding field camera. When they're stowed they're light and compact. I was amazed the first time I saw one how portable large format could be. Also, your lenses won't take up as much space as the bellows makes up most of the length, and leaf shutter lenses mean less vibration. One thing that is a disadvantage is carrying the film, but if you pack the DSLR and save the film shots for your favorites I think that could also be mitigated. For landscapes though I've just about decided to stick to digital pano shots. With CS3 they're easy as pie.
04-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would seriously recommend you go to a photo store and handle both
The differnce in negative size is noticeable but not a take-or-break situation Lenses are great in both systems but the handling is what made a difference for me.

The 67 feels like a Spotmatic/K1000 big brother, it is heavy but well balanced
However it is quite awkward for me, feels too big and heavy to handle.
Controls feel like a K1000

I have used the 645 (not n) only once during a photo trip in the early 90s and lusted after one ever since.
It feeels a lot less awkward than the 67 and fit my hand perfectly, the operation was smooth and AE was spot on.
04-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for those links, FireMate. Any chance of getting those photos back on flickr? They all say 'This photo is unavailable'.

I think I'm gonna get a 6x7 w/mlu. I've considered a folding 4x5, but the film loading and developing is a problem. I'm gonna try and find a shop here in town that has either a 67 or a folding 4x5 to try them out.

04-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #24

And then theres the question why not get both They make a perfect MF duo...
I decided to go the route of the 67ii, which I love btw, As far as landscapes go, nothing compares, however after looking into the 100mm macro, I'm thinking of saving and getting a 645n and 120mm macro instead due to availability and cost. Then I can make the 645 my around town shooter, of course this means my LX will probably accumulate even more dust than it does now :/

If you wanna play with 4x5 you could always pick up a Graflex Speed Graphic pretty cheap...
04-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with the Pentax 67 system. I'm looking for something better than 35mm but without the portability issues of 4x5. I've had a chance to toy around with a 645n and I'm curious whether it'd be worth it to go for the larger film size.

Pros of 6x7 system:
Larger film size
slightly cheaper initial cost (6x7 w/ttl prism, hand grip, 105/2.4 lens EX $678, BGN $488 versus ~$650 to ~$800 for 645n body)

Pros of 645n:
Autofocus
Auto exposure
smaller size
slightly more useful flash sync speed (1/60 vs 1/30)

Any suggestions?
The 6x7 format is much larger than 645, but you probably won't notice much difference in print quality between the two formats until you start making 11x14 or larger prints. Someone mentioned the widest rectilinear lens is a 50mm, which is incorrect. The widest is a 45mm, and it is an incredible lens. There are/were a couple of lenses available for higher flash sync, a 90mm and a 165mm. Both are very good optics, make sure you have read the operations manual before using them, as it is possible to damage the shutter fairly easily if you don't set the body shutter to the correct speed (1/8 second, IIRC).
If you are wanting to do landscapes, and aren't to worried about speed of use, a 4x5 field camera such as a Tachihara might be a better choice, as the camera and lenses will weigh a lot less. Film holders will take much of the weight advantage away.
There are no mirror slap issues with the 6x7. I did the old nickel on the screen test and sure enough, the nickel stays upright. Having said that, if you put the thing on a flimsy tripod such as a Manfrotto 055 or smaller, and then try to use a long, you can have well deserved vibration problems from the shutter.
You can see my little movie here:
http://www.pdmlpug.org/VIBRATION.MOV
Sorry about it being a Quicktime, it was shot with an Optio750