Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Proper film storage

Hi all, would you share how you store film?

I put my film in zip lock bags and put them in fridge where you normally put milk.

Q1: I heard people said they "freeze the film", do they put them in the freezer compartment?
Q2: Do you need to let it "warm up" in room temp before you put them in camera? I am talking about moisture that could form water droplets and wet the film?
Q3: If you take some out to shoot but did not finish all of them, do you put them back ?

Just want to see if I am doing it right...

03-18-2014, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, yes (a couple of hours) & yes.
03-18-2014, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Short term storage 3-6 months in the fridge, definitely nowhere near herbed meats like garlic.
Long term storage 6 months to 5 years+: deep freeze. After 5 years untouched in deep freeze, ice will have probably formed inside the canister or wrapping of 120 rolls. Rolls of 120 may become embrittled and tear, as will 35mm film cassettes. Mottling and staining of film may occur from water penetration (thus dry deep freezers are best). I have conscientiously avoided for decades using auto-defrost freezers. Film coming out of a deep freeze must be left at room temperature, unopened, for at least 6 hours. 35mm cassettes should be tapped gently on a table several times to free up the film spool before loading, especially after very long-term storage. I generally use all my film within 12 months, but I have film that is in deep freeze storage since 1998; long-expired but will be useable with care one day.

Sheet film should never be placed in deep freeze but refrigerated storage is fine. Exposed film is best kept refrigerated and processed at convenience. Nothing will be gained by freezing it.
03-18-2014, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+ 1 as above.

I move my long term film (freezer) to short term (fridge) when needed. When I grab a roll from the short term fridge, I leave it at room temperature for an hour before I load it in the camera. (I never use film straight from the freezer.)

I double bag my freezer film in freezer zip lock bags and single bag my fridge film.

Phil.

03-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #5

Hi

>Q1: I heard people said they "freeze the film", do they put them in the freezer compartment?

I always orders a "greater" mumber of films ( with a single batch number). I repack them to 5/10 rolls (120) in to a freezer bag , label it (buying date, exp. date, batch number) and vacuumize the bag (I use a household vacuumizer ) and store it in a deep freezer (-18 oC) .
For BW films my longest storage was about 10 years, without any dammage of the film (ice ..)
Colour and high ISO BW films I would use before

>Q2: Do you need to let it "warm up" in room temp before you put them in camera? I am talking about moisture >that could form water droplets and wet the film?

I "warm" them up, when I put a 5/10 film vacuumized bag unopend into a normal fridge (5-8 oC) one day before I want to use them. I take them out of the fridge 1-2 hours before use . The rest stays in the fridge (up to 6 months)

>Q3: If you take some out to shoot but did not finish all of them, do you put them back ?

Back into the fridge

[the main discussion at home is to argue that the deep frozen films are more precious than the home picked strawberries from last year ]
03-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Sheet film should never be placed in deep freeze but refrigerated storage is fine. Exposed film is best kept refrigerated and processed at convenience. Nothing will be gained by freezing it.
Why do you say not to freeze sheet film?