Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
phil, do you know if only the PENTAX close up filter will works on P67 lens or .... any 67mm filter size close up filter will also works?
I imagine any close-up filter MAY work, but the outcome will not be the greatest.
The Pentax S82 has SMC coatings and was specifically designed for the 90mm & 105mm 6x7/67 lenses. I would stick with the Pentax one, as you know it will work.

Here is an example of the 105/2.4 and the S82 close-up filter. The focusing distance is 0.6 to 1 meter, with no light loss or EF to worry about. Your DOF gets pretty narrow though, as you can see in the photo.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 03-31-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added photo
03-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Using a cheap close up filter is no replacement for tubes. If you are going to go the close up filter route, go with one that is APO or at least achromatic. Remember that you are putting optics in front of your lens and those can affect the image. Using tubes in my opinion is the best way to go. Pentax also made a variable tube called a Helicoid Tube-- very handy! I use that one and sometimes combined with the #2 tube.
03-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

phil, do you know if only the PENTAX close up filter will works on P67 lens or .... any 67mm filter size close up filter will also works?
I'm sure any close up filter will work.
This was taken with the 90/2.8 LS and a Tiffen 67mm close up filter.
04-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #19

135 Macro

The 135 is the most versatile 67 lens in the case. From frame filling faces to ruins in the desert.

04-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
About the closest with the #1. You also have tubes #2 and #3 available. You can stack all three of them together or any combinations of the two.
Yes, that's the set.

---------- Post added 03-31-14 at 08:29 ----------

Here is another shot using the #1 extension tube + 90mm LS and Portra 160

one more question... regarding extension tube, hope you can help with...
Do I need to do anything to compensate for the camera metering (if I put it to A)? Read in the review section that DOF preview button need to set to manual to allow proper exposure. Is that right? (I thought the lens DOF button is always on the manual side)?
If I use external meter, do I need to compensate for anything?

Thanks,
Lee
04-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The 3 piece tube set is auto diaphragm, not auto metering. The diaphragm will stop down automatically to the set aperture but metering still needs to be done with the diaphragm being stopped down manually. External meters will need compensation because tubes actually allow the lens to be shot at focal lengths longer than the designated ones. Let's say you have the 100mm macro lens and want to add 50mm of extension to shoot your subject. The focal length is now 150mm, even though the diaphragm has not changed. This changes your focal ratio. As an example-- Let's say the diaphragm opening is 25mm at f/4. With an extension of 50mm, the new focal length is 150mm. The focal ratio would be f/6 (150mm divided by 25mm). This is slightly over a one stop difference in added light.

The Helicoid tube is neither auto diaphragm nor auto metering (fully manual). The outer bay tubes are this way as well.
04-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter

one more question... regarding extension tube, hope you can help with...
Do I need to do anything to compensate for the camera metering (if I put it to A)? Read in the review section that DOF preview button need to set to manual to allow proper exposure. Is that right? (I thought the lens DOF button is always on the manual side)?
If I use external meter, do I need to compensate for anything?

Thanks,
Lee
Your AE meter will figure out the light loss with extension tubes. Just remember to leave the lens DOF lever on MANUAL when you shoot with any kind of extension. This includes shooting with the shutter in the automatic settting.

Otherwise leave the DOF lever on AUTO for normal shooting.

Phil.