Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really, really expired stuff

The other day I won a bid on a Microcord TLR camera w/ Ross Xpres 3.5/77.5mm, in leather case, and in a larger leather carrying case, with hood and all that.
In the box were also some 120 B&W films:

3 x Efke R17, expired June 1974
3 x Efke R21, expired maj (sic) 1974
1 x TriFCA, no expiry date but no. 561
1 x Kodak Verichrome Pan, expired August 1975

I wonder whether it is at all even worth the effort to spend development costs on these films. Any ideas? I know they can return odd effects, but those would hardly be by design, so I'm not sure. I also don't know how they have been kept, but seeing that about 40 years have gone by, I suspect they were not kept in the fridge but in the attic! The leather surely smelled like that. Camera has been cleaned and the glass is perfect, so I'm running a few rolls through it to see what it's like.

(OTOH, I have everything in place to develop B&W myself now, if only I can find time to set things up, so I could always give it a go.)

W

04-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You might keep one to use as a test roll for testing the winding mechanisms on cameras.
04-01-2014, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gosh, 1974!!? Thems were the good ol' days...
Expose the film just for fun. In this age of lomography, Instagram and wierd and wonderful colour shifts and better still, the atmospheric images produced through primitive pinhole cameras (see Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day galleries!) there is no harm in taking a trip down memory lane, even if by 40-odd years as an adventurous experiment. There was no Photoshop or Lightroom in 1974 and 1975; anything like mottling or deteriorated emulsion could be patched up after a scan, or even left 'as is'. Just don't trust any of this stuff to a wedding. Have fun!
04-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #4

TriFCA made really horrible prints. Their colors faded very soon into purple even without sunlight.

-Linus-

04-02-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A test roll for transport mechanisms is not a bad idea, actually. But apart from one they are all B&W so colour shifts would be, well, grayish…. Still, I might have a try.
04-02-2014, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #6

I managed to get some useable frames from a roll of Ilford HP5 which was dated as expired in 1984, funnily enough I got them with a second hand TLR as well, an old Polish WZFO Start II.

Here's one of the shots:

04-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

You can expect to need 1-2 stops overexposure, low contrast, and a muddy look. Set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

04-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

I have had reasonable success with nearly 40 yr old Verichrome Pan which was commercially processed. I hadn't any equipment then. The only difference but one which might have worked against me rather than for me was the film had 9 shots that had been exposed 40 yrs previously rather than being virgin film. My own 3 remaining shots came out as well. They were only marginally better so the latent image capability of Verichrome was excellent. Camera had been stored in a desk and was found after the death of a friend's brother and given to me. The brother identified the shots which is how I know there were 40 years old.

asahijock
04-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cagimaha Quote
I managed to get some useable frames from a roll of Ilford HP5 which was dated as expired in 1984, funnily enough I got them with a second hand TLR as well, an old Polish WZFO Start II.

Here's one of the shots:
Looks like a scene/still from a old school horror movie.
04-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cagimaha Quote

Here's one of the shots:
Yeah I like the look!

Phil.