Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
There definitely exists medium format video cameras out there, Phantom's 65 Gold is the first that comes to mind. That said, they're rare and insanely expensive creatures and I'd love it if someone were to do with medium format exactly what the Canon 5D mark 2 did to the super35 market. Granted, it'd still be relatively expensive in relation to regular 35mm video-capable DSLRs. But compared to some cinema cameras out there, something in the price range of the 645D's original msrp of $10k would actually be a steal for a video camera with that big of a sensor.
Thanks, I had never heard of that model before. Rather a tame frame rate of only 2500 fps when other models are either 400 000 or 1 million.

But it still uses Nikon lenses so it is not MF. In my previous job we had one of the lens mounts blow right off the body and the lens was not damaged.

04-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
But it still uses Nikon lenses
It comes in several variants, the standard one taking Mamiya 645 with option for Nikon, Hasselblad or PL mounts available. That, and it's a 65mm size sensor, hence the name, so most definitely MF territory as far as video goes
04-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You mean all 3 of them? The old A and FA's aren't available in most markets outside of Japan.
Sorry Adam, but retailers in the UK like Ffordes have always had good stock of new and used Pentax 645 lenses:

645 Lenses Pentax Range - Ffordes Photographic

Admittedly, I've seen Ffordes with more stock than this, but there's a reasonable range there.
04-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
It comes in several variants, the standard one taking Mamiya 645 with option for Nikon, Hasselblad or PL mounts available. That, and it's a 65mm size sensor, hence the name, so most definitely MF territory as far as video goes
Interesting and good to know

HOw much are they? I know that the high speed cameras are in the 75 to 80+ K vicinity

04-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #20

Thanks, I had never heard of that model before. Rather a tame frame rate of only 2500 fps when other models are either 400 000 or 1 million.

But it still uses Nikon lenses so it is not MF. In my previous job we had one of the lens mounts blow right off the body and the lens was not damaged.
FYI, Nikon used to make medium format lenses for Bronica cameras, and they also used to make lenses for large format view cameras. Now if the lenses are F mount, then they wont fit a medium format camera.
04-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting and good to know

HOw much are they? I know that the high speed cameras are in the 75 to 80+ K vicinity
Most Phantom cameras are not something a person would buy. You would rent them, along with a Phantom technician, who knows the camera inside + out. In fact, I don't know that Phantom is even willing to rent their cameras without a technician.

When you hear about these expensive Hollywood cameras and lenses, rental is often the business model. Panavision, for example, doesn't really sell their cameras or lenses. RED is the company that completely broke that model by offering an "affordable" system - a system that an individual could own for less than $50,000, and operate as a rental company after that. It's part of why I don't like when people bash RED. They invented the current camera market in Los Angeles (for better or worse).