Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #1

Explain something to me: wouldn't a video capable 645 be revolutionary?

Hi there,
i'm neither into video nor medium format, and i don't watch those markets really close so i might be wrong, but can somebody confirm the following thought:
If the new 645 would be capable of recording video, wouldn't that be something movie people would embrace like crazy? Or is there a medium format video camera already out there?
Very high image quality, shallow depth of field... correct me if i'm wrong, but movie cameras nowadays only have 35mm sensors?
Greetings,
Micha

04-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
If the new 645 would be capable of recording video, wouldn't that be something movie people would embrace like crazy? Or is there a medium format video camera already out there?
Yep, some people mentioned this already. The problems are quite physical, though. The files would be huge, the sensor would overheat, the SD card and buffer couldn't keep up.. There was much debate over whether the new 645 has video mode or not! And the next question is, what quality it would be capable of delivering
Of course, the previous 645D has a CCD sensor, so video and live view are not possible at all. This new one has CMOS, though!

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-02-2014 at 12:20 PM.
04-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There definitely exists medium format video cameras out there, Phantom's 65 Gold is the first that comes to mind. That said, they're rare and insanely expensive creatures and I'd love it if someone were to do with medium format exactly what the Canon 5D mark 2 did to the super35 market. Granted, it'd still be relatively expensive in relation to regular 35mm video-capable DSLRs. But compared to some cinema cameras out there, something in the price range of the 645D's original msrp of $10k would actually be a steal for a video camera with that big of a sensor.
04-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Banned

Well it would make sense to direct it at the professional market since the camera would be very expensive. So 4K UHDTV and RAW output. Cooling for the sensor in some way. And maybe an extra CPU inside since I don't think PRIME III is up for the task. Not to many sales, but you never know.

04-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The problems are quite physical, though. The files would be huge, the sensor would overheat, the SD card and buffer couldn't keep up.
Sensor overheating, maybe, but sensor size has zero relation to the size of video files. Resolution is standardized (e.g. 1080p, 4k, etc.) and bitrate is whatever the programmers and/or user (provided they have the option) predetermine in settings.

Last edited by Cannikin; 04-02-2014 at 01:31 PM.
04-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The DOF that can be achieved with 24x36mm is already too thin for most video work, whether for professional or amateur applications. A quick look at YouTube, reveals a lot of misfocused garbage, mostly from hipsters who were raised on cell phones.

Here is an example that has been circulating recently, where almost nothing is in focus. Fair warning - you might get a headache due to the misfocussed shots. Arguably, the GoPro footage that is interspersed is much more enjoyable than the DSLR garbage.

Ironically, this might not look so bad if it is watched on a cell phone, since the smaller screen will hide the focus errors.
04-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
but sensor size has zero relation to the size of video files.
You are right, but nobody would buy a 645 camera for 480p videos. And 4k or raw video is something that very few cameras can handle. Then there is also bitrate/depth, which affects the size. Pentax is having trouble just delivering a high quality 1080p. But you are right, even a 50MP sensor will make 1080p videos when it is set to.. 1080p.

04-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
Hi there,
i'm neither into video nor medium format, and i don't watch those markets really close so i might be wrong, but can somebody confirm the following thought:
Very high image quality, shallow depth of field... correct me if i'm wrong, but movie cameras nowadays only have 35mm sensors?
Greetings,
Micha
It would be revolutionary if video lenses existed (or just lenses period) for it outside of Japan

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

There are no Pentax 645 video lenses, but one can find photographic lenses outside Japan:
TeKaDe | Pentax 645 Objektive | Ihr Fotofachhändler im Internet
04-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I am very doubtful the 645z will have good video. Pentax can't deliver good video out of an APS-C camera so what chance is there that they will from a much larger sensor? Video has always been low priority on their K* cameras, and I imagine it will be even lower for this one.
This is the sad truth. at its price point, nothing other than premium video quality will make a dent in the market. Manual focus lenses would be great for filmmaking, though. And it is possible to get shoots in focus on such a system -Hollywood has done it for decades. You just have to shoot like professionals.
04-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It would be revolutionary if video lenses existed (or just lenses period) for it outside of Japan
Huh? The lenses have been available here, outside Japan last time I checked, since they were released....

Fovi AS - Produktkatalog - kj
04-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Huh? The lenses have been available here, outside Japan last time I checked, since they were released....

Fovi AS - Produktkatalog - kj
You mean all 3 of them? The old A and FA's aren't available in most markets outside of Japan.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You mean all 3 of them? The old A and FA's aren't available in most markets outside of Japan.
Even used? The film / video world is certainly accustomed using older lenses...
04-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com They have quite a few...
04-04-2014, 03:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are 16 available and it is still outside Japan....
There seems to be no problem getting them i Europe...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 04-04-2014 at 05:36 AM.