Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
I don't recall any particularly sharp upturn in prices of A and FA lenses when the 645D was released so I'm not convinced it will happen this time around either.
For better or worse, most people don't consider a camera modern unless it has the high-ISO capabilities of a CMOS sensor. While this capability may be slightly overrated compared to how much it's needed in everyday photography, it is essential in many situations, so this is not a flippant requirement. I expect the sales of the 645Z will far exceed that of its predecessor, as long as some "better" alternative doesn't appear soon.

04-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #17

When the 645d finally came out, there was a massive run-up on lens prices. They have dropped in the years since then. A friend was able to get $1500 for his FA35 in the Marketplace here.
04-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

This thread has made me a little nervous so I've been checking daily for the A series 300/4 to show up again at my local store. A month or two ago they had three of them on the shelf for several weeks. I hesitated then because of the price (about $350) and because my use of long lenses with my 645N is fairly limited. If it comes into the store again I'll have to think long and hard...
04-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
Forum Member

Prices did go up with the 645D release and slowly went down. Lenses like the A and FA 35mm, the A and FA 120mm macro, the FA 300mm, 400mm were really sought after. Their prices were high. (Lenses like the A and FA 45mm have a bad rep and prices have stayed low for them.) In the last year, the bubble burst. I was watching KEH.com and in the last twelve months, not only did their prices drop, the also got rid of their inventory. Speaking of which, I did pickup a an EX A 75mm from KEH for $105. I am sure the 645Z will push up prices, but with new lenses at B&H, the price will have a cap--some used FA 35mm lenses were being sold for more than new at one point.

04-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
For better or worse, most people don't consider a camera modern unless it has the high-ISO capabilities of a CMOS sensor. While this capability may be slightly overrated compared to how much it's needed in everyday photography, it is essential in many situations, so this is not a flippant requirement. I expect the sales of the 645Z will far exceed that of its predecessor, as long as some "better" alternative doesn't appear soon.
Well, as long as the high ISO doesn't bring any disadvantages at low ISO compared to the old generation, no one would see a problem there. But the same pictures published by photorumors don't show the same crispiness and the same amount of finest details as I am used by my 645D. I looking at them in 100% size, they look similar like the ones taken using a D7000/K5 sensor (off course at a different size, but that doesn't matter if you watch both at 100%). No noise visible, but lacking the finest details. The 645D shows all the finest details, but off course also has some minor amount of noise, even at ISO 100.

Off course these are early sample images and quite often they are technically quite bad. Let's hope the 645z is better than the pictures shown. Otherwise, the customer group will change. It will be people like the one that sold my 645D after using it just a few months. This guy was looking for an universal, high quality DSLR. And found out the 645D was restricting him too much from an ISO point of view. He wasn't looking for a camera optimized for ISO 100 to 200. In other words: Not for digital medium format - not in the sense of sensor size, but in the sense of picture quality being optimized for resolution, not for universal use at high ISO, too.
04-23-2014, 02:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I pulled the plug! Came across a very clean 645-A 300/4 today and brought it home with me. It cost about $385, which makes it the only other lens for my 645N that cost as much as the 35/3.5! I can't wait to give it a test run!

04-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I pulled the plug! Came across a very clean 645-A 300/4 today and brought it home with me. It cost about $385, which makes it the only other lens for my 645N that cost as much as the 35/3.5! I can't wait to give it a test run!
Wow !! , that looks like a mint pierce of glass , great buy .

05-16-2014, 05:10 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't recall any particularly sharp upturn in prices of A and FA lenses when the 645D was released so I'm not convinced it will happen this time around either.
I noticed that last week. I went to KEH my usual stomping grounds, and found only a few 645 lenses listed. I am glad I already have all i'll ever need.