Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #1

Pentax 67 75mm shift lens for stitching?

Hi, have walked myself into a corner and need to get back out again!

I have a Contax 645 with MFDB that I want to use for panorama portraits by horizontal stitching with a 67 lens.

To do this I bought a secondhand Zoerk PSA (Contax 645 to Pentax 67) panorama shift adapter and a nice Pentax 55mm 67 lens.

But when I test this system I find the Zoerk PSA adapter is so old that moving the adapter for stitching is harder than opening an old lock with a rusty key. I tried oiling the adapter but it did not help.

So what I really have is just a very expensive Zoerk Contax 645 body to Pentax 67 lens adapter!

I still want to do Panorama portraits with this camera.

So now I am speculating what would the result be if I used the Zoerk adapter to mount the PENTAX 67 75MM F4.5 SHIFT LENS on my Contax 645 then used the shift lens instead of the shift movements of the Zoerk PSA adapter to get the shift I need?

If I have got the facts right the Pentax 67 75mm f4.5 shift lens has a maximum shift of 20mm in each direction that is pretty good, as if I figure right it would give me a stitched panorama image at least 4cm longer than the 645 format of my Contax 645...but maybe I am wrong, so would like to ask,

would you say this is:
a) feasible
b) a good idea or not?

Advice or suggestions most welcome!

Peter

04-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I neither have the 645 nor the 67, however I do have the K 28 shift lens, that is very similar to the 67 shift (construction and operation). It does sound like it should work. Perhaps either Zork or Eric (who repairs everything Pentax - especially film base, see the link below) could repair or CLA the Zork tilt/shift adapter. It might be worth an email. One aspect of the the Pentax shift lenses is that their rear element is substantially larger than that of a standard lens. This is to accommodate the shift, such that when shifted the light will not vignette on the sensor.I just saw that your down under in Oz. You might still try Eric, he is a living legend here in the US for Pentax.

04-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks IA for the encouraging feedback.

To set the record straight I am from Oz but at the moment in Mexico that I am told by my neighbors is far from God but close to USA :-)
04-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
If you want it repaired in Australia give Alan at f16 a call. His contact details are info@f16cameraservice.com.au, and telephone 07 3284 1588. He is in Margate, a northern suburb of Brisbane. His web page is also titled f16.
Regards.

04-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought the same shift adapter, but for a Pentax 645 body (film). Mine shifts reasonably well and does not seem like a old lock with a rusty key, so perhaps as others have mentioned a CLA might do the trick?
04-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for these useful tips that gave me the courage to try dunking the Zork PSA in hot soapy water than bombarding it with about half a can of bolt loosener then leaving it to dry for a day and now it is working and I am very happy with the results.

The 55mm f3.5 Pentax 6x7 Takumar lens I have on the front of the adapter is so heavy even a bomb going off nearby would probably not throw off the manual focus and it so big that it is easy to grasp for the delicate task of shoving the lens in whichever direction is needed to get the shots I need to stitch.

The lens didnīt come with a cap that is a bit of a worry as the filter diameter is 100mm so the glass is likely to get scratched in no time so I made a lens cap out of a plastic element I found in the plumbing section of the hardware store. It works fine too.

Shifting the lens changes the amount of light coming on to the sensor but this does not seem to matter much when shooting digital RAW files that makes it easy to adjust the virtual "exposure" in post processing before stitching in Photoshop. Perhaps you have a different workflow?