Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
645Z in the flesh!

Wow. I finally got a chance to play with a pre-production 645Z. I felt that the ergonomics were great and it fit my hand(s!) well. Because it was a pre-production version, I wasn't allowed to take any photos yet, but is was still a wonderful experience to get the overall 'feel' of the camera. If I was a working pro (which I am not) I don't think I would have much trouble justifying this purchase (if the image quality matches the overall quality of this camera). Dear Santa....

05-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't they let you take a photo of the camera in your hands ?
05-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I win the lotto I will buy one. I added the Z + all the lenses I want into my bhp basket the other day just for kicks. $20k + shipping + duties + GST
05-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I keep having this random thought that some fantastically wealthy friend suddenly asks me if there is a camera that I would really like for my birthday...

05-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

@jezza323 -- make it $25K with a good computer & editing software... make it $30K with some lights... as businesses go, it's not a lot of start-up capital. About the same cost as a new car, these days. From here it would be a different question for everyone, depending on your location and specialty -- how long would it take to get the money back?

As for amateurs (like me) -- well, that's a lot of money!
05-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It would take a while, my total intake from selling shots so far is about $312 over 5 yrs... so thats 320 yrs and 6 months to get to $20k

Already got the editing PC, just need a better monitor, so add that in
05-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there Pentax or Ricoh on the back of the camera?
05-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

@jezza323 -- time for a government loan, a la Tesla's $450 million! We all have to think of how that 645Z reduces carbon emissions, or something, like: "Now, no film! No nasty silver nitrates polluting the nation's fresh water supply!" If only we had that $25K Department of Energy loan grant...

05-08-2014, 05:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wheelerp Quote
Wow. I finally got a chance to play with a pre-production 645Z.
Where was this, please? I'm nearly certain I'll be getting this camera as soon as it's available. And yes, it's going to be a huge expense that is going to hurt, but I'll shed about $2-3K of gear for a bit of pain relief (although one of the cameras on the way out is a real favorite...). I already have my lens lineup and one Pentax flash from my 645N outfit. And as stated in this thread, from a business startup standpoint it's really pretty modest, especially if it's added to the lighting and support systems already in place.
05-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Is there Pentax or Ricoh on the back of the camera?
Neither. The only wording was 645Z on the top window.

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 08:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Didn't they let you take a photo of the camera in your hands ?
This happened at a local camera store and it was brought to the store by a Pentax rep. The storage card door had tape over it, so that nobody would insert a card and take a photo with this pre-production model. It didn't occur to me to take a photo of it - I was a bit in awe of just holding and tinkering with this camera! When I used the tilt screen LCD, it brought me back to the days of the medium format film cameras with the waist level finders!
05-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wheelerp;2806923[COLOR=Silver:
][/COLOR]This happened at a local camera store and it was brought to the store by a Pentax rep.
In Saskatchewan or Mexico---and which part of either? Or was in someplace else? I know my local Pentax rep well, is why i'm asking...
05-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I was at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku today and unfortunately they didn't have a demo model yet. I asked the clerk there about the Pentax showroom which is nearby. He said they have a demo body but it is locked up in a glass case so you can only look at it and not touch it, so I decided to pass.
05-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Where was this, please? I'm nearly certain I'll be getting this camera as soon as it's available. And yes, it's going to be a huge expense that is going to hurt, but I'll shed about $2-3K of gear for a bit of pain relief (although one of the cameras on the way out is a real favorite...). I already have my lens lineup and one Pentax flash from my 645N outfit. And as stated in this thread, from a business startup standpoint it's really pretty modest, especially if it's added to the lighting and support systems already in place.
It was in Saskatchewan, Canada.
05-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Pentax Canada seems to want to sell stuff.

I'm not planning on getting one, it is for a different style of shooter, but I see folks who have $30K worth of hobby equipment on the back of their trucks or on a trailer. Depends on what you want to do.
05-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #15

I assume that Pentax 645Z will be a bit worse in color than the Pentax 645D