Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2014, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Thoughts after moving from Nikon to Pentax

At the end of last year, for one reason or another, I gave a Pentax 645D a try to see if it would replace my Nikon set-up. I documented the reasons for my move on my blog - see: Moving to the Larger Side - Part One

After a few months of use, I have now tried to describe how I found the 645D and if it will replace my Nikon and Zeiss set-up. See: Moving to the Larger Side - Part Two

I thought I would mention this here, as what I found may help others thinking of moving up.

Hope this helps someone

Phil

05-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Glad you like the 645D. If I was a landscape shooter, I would have bought one already with their current prices.

You are very talented
05-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you like it Phil; it's a great camera. I've had mine since 2010 and have had zero problems. I noticed you indicate you prefer the files from the 645D over those from the D800; every poster I've read who has both, has stated a preference for the 645D files. BTW you mentioned in your blog that you would rather the camera not sleep when using the remote; the sleep function can be turned to off.

Nice images. Enjoy the camera.

Tom
05-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Forum Member

Another D800E user that prefers the 645D.

As far as the sensor thing, it is not the CCD vs. CMOS architecture--they are both photon counters. There has been suggested that because manufacturers are pushing high ISO, they are weakening the color filter array. I am not so sure about that. It could be the spectral response for the sensors are different--the 645D has a Kodak sensor and the D800 a Sony. Probably the greatest impact is the manufacturer's profile. But things like DR will change perception--the lower the DR, the more contrast and saturation. But it tends to be a moot point--it is not like you have a choice of sensor with any particular camera. The good news is Pentax will at least be trying to give it their look, so the camera may be very close. Whether the difference in DR is going to change the feel, I am not sure.

And welcome to the club. I feel very much the same way you do about the 645D.

05-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for sharing. You produce beautiful photographs and the work speaks for itself, whatever tools you use.
05-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I notice on your page that you wonder about the look changing when the camera goes CMOS. It most likely will. Do a simple comparison of the differences between the K10D and the K20D. Basically the same cameras but the K20D went with a CMOS sensor while the K10D had a CCD sensor. Yes, the high end ISO shots got much "cleaner", but the photos went from Kodachrome to Ektachrome (yes, I'm that old)
05-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

@calicojack - Yes, I do think it will change but we can't be certain until the production 645Z ships. The look may be "protected" as it will depend how Pentax have set the profile and how much colour response has been lost due to the high ISO requirement.

@hakusan - Totally agree, the processing and electronics will the the changer in the look, but as a generalisation it will be be said it lost the CCD look.

@Thomas - Problem with turning sleep off is that I can be waiting a long time to trip the shutter with the remote, and it would help save battery if the remote woke the camera up, but it is a good suggestion to try and see what impact it has on the battery.

Phil
05-13-2014, 03:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Basically the same cameras but the K20D went with a CMOS sensor while the K10D had a CCD sensor. Yes, the high end ISO shots got much "cleaner", but the photos went from Kodachrome to Ektachrome (yes, I'm that old)
I don't have first hand experience with the K20D, but I must say my fears that the colors would suffer when going from the K10D to the K-5 were not warranted, and it's certainly been nothing like going from Kodachrome to Ektachrome (I never liked the look of Ektachrome, always used either Kodachrome or Fujichrome).

Sometimes I miss the supernatural blue skies of the K10D. But I have Aperture's vibrancy slider for that

05-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I don't have first hand experience with the K20D, but I must say my fears that the colors would suffer when going from the K10D to the K-5 were not warranted, and it's certainly been nothing like going from Kodachrome to Ektachrome (I never liked the look of Ektachrome, always used either Kodachrome or Fujichrome).

Sometimes I miss the supernatural blue skies of the K10D. But I have Aperture's vibrancy slider for that
Kodachrome will always be the best colour film ever made, but the newer E100G is also very good and much better than the older Ektachrome versions. E100G also has the same long archival storage as Kodachrome.

Phil.
05-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I agree with the CCD VS. CMOS idea. I have an old Fujifilm S700 bridge camera that has a CCD sensor. At base ISO it makes photos with a look that makes my K-5II blush in embarrassment. CCD really does have this strange sharp and interesting look
05-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #11
Forum Member

Having used CCD and CMOS in LEICAs, I would say that CCD does produce a look that the CMOS will not be able to replicate. I struggle to find that m9 look sometimes in the m240.

However, if we were to look at phase one way for structuring the architecture of a RAW file in the IQ250, I would say sooner or later it becomes an issue of tweaking raws to ensure you get the feel of the CCD without losing too much CFA. Niels V. Knudsen, the image professor at P1 said “Having a sensor with a good CFA is only the start of the process to making a back with great color.” “Getting involved in the entire imaging chain of a CMOS camera for the first time, and not just having to make the best of what came out of someone else’s CMOS camera was like a breath of fresh air after being stuck in a smoke filled room,” Niels said. The initial work involved working with a hardware team for rapid prototyping profiles to aid with the selection of system components. Much of this process was lab based, and drew heavily on the team’s experience with high quality sensors built with color oriented CFAs.

I just hope with the new (645Z) and the old (645D), I am just able to bring out the scene as is and tell the story from there.
05-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I wonder if the look of CCD is also the lower pixel density combined with low iso. There was a sweet spot at 6 mp that people talk about. My ist DL ccd produced wonderful color. But I never shot in raw with it.