Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ming Thein and the 645Z

From Ming Thein's page on Illusion vs delusion vs reality:
QuoteQuote:
Nikon are a good example of last-generation marketing. It makes no sense to have these ‘lifestyle models’ posing with cameras – I suspect that the real photographers with referral links shift a lot more product than the manufacturers want to acknowledge; even if the resellers are a different matter. I see it every time I pick up a piece of gear; adoption goes in waves. First the OM-Ds, then the Ricoh GR, to a lesser extent the D800s, and now begins the 645Z.
This is Ming himself responding in the comments section. Seems he's perhaps a little excited about the 645Z.

He's pretty brand agnostic, and simply uses the Right Tools for the Job, be it his D800E, EM-1s ('s' for plural), his beloved GR, or his 6x6 Hassy V. Still, Pentax could gain an influential advocate if the 645Z delivers the goods for him.

More here, if you're interested: MF digital goes mainstream: early thoughts on the Pentax 645Z

05-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #2

interesting.
If You sum all facts and calculate coldly pros and cons, 645Z seams like something biiiig. Will wait for reviews and measurements.
05-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter

there seems to be a lot of 645Z pre-orders …
05-12-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just in the last week or two the inventory of used 645D cameras at my local store has jumped significantly. In the past it seems that they only had used 645D bodies in stock about half the time. And when they did there was usually only one, occasionally two. Recently they have had a constant stock of 4-6 of those beasts. It will be interesting to see if the price comes down. Currently they are just over $4,000, which is less than 20% lower than if you buy one new right now. They have those too, at about $4,900.

05-13-2014, 02:20 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
From Ming Thein's page on Illusion vs delusion vs reality:
This is Ming himself responding in the comments section. Seems he's perhaps a little excited about the 645Z.

He's pretty brand agnostic, and simply uses the Right Tools for the Job, be it his D800E, EM-1s ('s' for plural), his beloved GR, or his 6x6 Hassy V. Still, Pentax could gain an influential advocate if the 645Z delivers the goods for him.

More here, if you're interested: MF digital goes mainstream: early thoughts on the Pentax 645Z
Ming will get one, I'm pretty sure about it - he started to source lenses already (at least according to his tweets and pics on instagram). I'd like to read his comments about it as he currently uses CFV-39 on Hasselblad V system. I'm in the same camp but with Leaf Aptus 75S on Hasselblad V. Although IQ is brilliant from both systems, it isn't the most convenient system to use out in the field - studio is another topic though.