Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I wouldn't get too excited over monopods. Medium format is frequently used in incidences of low to very low (several seconds) shutter speeds. This is not the territory for a monopod no matter how stable they look on the shop floor. A carbon fibre tripod can be undeniably pricey but is an excellent investment against any movement, vibration or plain unsteadiness. Monopods are frequently used at sporting games with very high ISO image-stabilised super telephoto lenses which overcomes the flimsy stability the monopod offers and provides enhanced movement for panning. But if you shoot scenes of anything above 2 seconds, consider a tripod to be a wisere investment and one that will be known as your true steady friend. Camera bags are very, very subjective; what is great for one photographer can be entirely unsuitable for another and others. I reckon it's best to buy and try, ditch it then buy and try again until you get it right, or at least take all your camera gear into the shop and fit it into the bag, then try it. Your back disability makes this last point especially critical; you need to be able to easily lift up the pack and swing it around onto your back without falling off the cliff that is affording you the beautiful scene you photographed 5 minutes earlier: that could seriously damage the camera.

05-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #17

Original Poster
I think I'll browse the BAY for some bargains and trail and error things. Being a former SWAT officer, I discovered that an old, unused single-point rifle sling makes a darn good camera strap for off side carry. Bing, money saved! I've got a SLIK tripod, I think it is a U212 in the closet from my ME Super days. It'll hold the ole 645 up just fine. It is a bit heavy though.

I freaking ache, from sun up to sun down. I'm only 48 but 2 years ago got run over by a man in a truck while on my motorcycle. 2 broke arms, one broke leg, one amputated leg, cracked collarbone, 12 broken ribs and sternum, both lungs collapsed, ruptured diaphragm, lacerated kidney and liver, 15 units of blood loss, 2 skull fractures BUT NO BRAIN TRAUMA! I ache years ahead of my time, so comfort will be paramount. Thanks for the ideas and thoughts.
05-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Yikes! Hey, for what it's worth I'm awfully glad you are still able to get out and enjoy something as fun as medium format film photography! More power to you!!
05-16-2014, 01:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Im really sorry Bustedup to hear of your huge misfortune, I too was wiped out while on a motorbike18 months ago. Fractured neck Broken ribs Broken collar bone Punctured lung.

I am walking again and am mostly recovered. I was very lucky compared to you. My sympathies go out to you, and my respect for facing your challenges.

Have you considered grabbing a Twin Lens Reflex off the bay, maybe a Yashica, to use as a walkabout camera when you don't want to tote all the gear, a kind of medium format point and shoot.

Theyr really light and great to use hand held so we are talking real light weight. If you do go for a yashica TLR, beware the shutter fault where you cant use the self timer or you destroy the shutter (it can only be used with flash synch set to x I believe).

05-16-2014, 04:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter

with your condition, I admire you for hiking. I have like disibilities and have to resort to rideing a scooter. I have more options on what kind of bag and how to attatch it to my scooter. good luck.
05-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #21

Original Poster
I'll use my ME SUPER for point and shoot. Get busy LIVING or get busy DYING I once heard. What about filters? Cokin system, screw in's? Experiences and advice?