Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

645Z Wish List! (kind of wedding centric)

1. D-FA leaf shutter lenses.

Studio folks want in on the party, and as usable as MF lenses are, some modern AF glass could be good for the system. This seems like a no brainer for a medium format camera. At minimum there should be one.

2. 60-75mm ƒ2.0 prime

The Z is priced at wedding shooter levels. It's not much more than a D4/1Dx. The top end film shooters (Jose Villa, Jonathan Canlas) shoot film, and not just film, Contax 645 film. They do this because Contax has a normal that is an 80mm ƒ2.0 which has a particular beautiful look wide open. It's creamy dreamy Zeiss goodness that makes brides look amazing. Pentax knows a thing or two about lenses (Limited) and having a AF super speed normal might sway some portrait and wedding users. Hasselblad has the 100 ƒ2.2. Pentax needs a format appropriate super speed. Making this lens AF on 645N/II bodies though, and you might even get the big film guys over. I would love to have a film NII and the Z side by side in my hold fast money maker strap.

3. sRaw

50 megapickels! WHOA think of the DETAIL! Well, you wanna know what a 50mp print looks like in a 8x10 book? Look at your prints from 12 mp cameras and it's about the same. Heck of a thing to have the pixels, it sure is. But the D800 has NOT actually been universally adopted among Nikon users simply because it's over kill for many users who shoot in high volume. There is a reason why the D4 does not have the 25mp sensor. Lots of pros neither need it or want it. I would LOVE to be able to shoot a large sensor camera in volume for the overall look, and do so without overloading my RAID and/or my 2009 Mac. The 645Z @ 25-16mp would be a winner for portraits on the run. Then set it to 50mp for formals and kick butt.

4. Vertical trigger.

Verticals all day erry'day. 'Nuff said. :-)

Last edited by Sperdynamite; 05-16-2014 at 04:13 PM.
05-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All good points- a small/compressed RAW format would be very nice, as would a faster lens for portraits.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like quite realistic and nice suggestions there.
05-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Good suggestions, but for me especially the Vert Grip. It's too bad there's not a way to rotate the sensor 90 degrees. Failing that, some clever way to rotate the grip. But I think the former would be cooler, and wouldn't risk compromising the weathersealing.

Are there any leaf shutter lenses that are AF? I don't know, ...very curious if there are.

05-16-2014, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
60-75mm ƒ2.0 prime
Unfortunately a lens this fast also would be quite heavy, and if you include a leaf shutter that makes things much heftier - leaf shutters also impose limits on how fast a lens can be. The faster a lens gets the larger the diameter of the lens elements - this means the internal shutter shutter blades have to move over a greater distance at higher speed, the faster the shutter blades move the greater the amount of wear on the LS mechanism and the shutter blades themselves. Most leaf shutters (with a high shutter speed of 1/500th) have an actuation threshold of around 20,000 firings before failure - Leaf shutters with a highest shutter speed exceeding 1/1000th have even shorter MTBF ratings. If pentax allows users to switch between the leaf shutter and the focal plane shutter operation like the older A series LS lenses this would enhance the longevity of the mechanism.

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Are there any leaf shutter lenses that are AF?
Leica -S self cocking CS - (central shutter/Leaf shutter..thanks Leica we REALLY needed another term for that) lenses offer Full AF. Also lenses for the Hasselblad H series, Sinar HY6 and mamiya AF-D also have leaf shutter lenses that have full AF.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-16-2014 at 07:53 PM.
05-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Leica -S self cocking CS - (central shutter/Leaf shutter..thanks Leica we REALLY needed another term for that) lenses offer Full AF. Also lenses for the Hasselblad H series, Sinar HY6 and mamiya AF-D also have leaf shutter lenses that have full AF.
Thanks! I don't feel so stupid now, considering this somewhat esoteric and expensive list. Glad to find expertise here!
05-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
To clarify, I don't think that the leaf shutter lens and the fast prime need to be the same, we have a great focal plane shutter for 2.0 shots. But trying to sell 125th of a second flash synch to studio folks is tough. Everyone beats Pentax in that regard (Phase One and Schneider do so with aplomb).