Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Shot an event with a borrowed 645D

Fund Rager – A benefit for displaced Chileans

I borrowed a 645D with the 75mm and 45mm 2.8 FA lenses this weekend. It was really enjoyable to shoot with, and not really heavier than a DSLR with a modern 1.4 lens. I know you can technically match the depth of field that the 645D sensor is putting out with faster glass in 35mm but there is something about the look which is closer to what I've been looking for in my images for a long time. They have this 'matter of factness' to them that I've so far only been able to achieve with film formats. For me it's all about the 'look' of an image vs the raw resolution and I'd say that this camera delivered (hence why the D800 is not more interesting to me than the 700/600/df). Even my ISO 1600 shots were usable as the light got low. The dynamic range isn't quite what we're used to now with FF cmos chips but it was still better than I expected when I was doing recovery. As you can see I didn't blow any highlights or lose any shadows.

To make a long post short, I totally want to build my business around a medium format digital Pentax, and that will most likely be the Z. I think it shows in my images, and I think my clients will notice the difference.

Also, when I show up to the ceremony, Uncle Bob will NOT have the same rig. :-)

On lenses:
The 75mm is a real star. Cheap, lovely, great Zeiss like contrast and bokeh. Desperately needs a non rubber decent hood. What's up with that Pentax? I got some flare and rubber hoods are annoying.

The 45mm wasn't that sharp wide open but it was still nice. The 40mp made up for it. You can't tell at a moderate print size and it's got a great look and feel. I was able to even grab some shots from the hip. I would shoot with this guy a lot. Plus that group shot at the end is with this at 5.6, looks fantastic!

Now, if they'll deliver on what I posted in my wish list, it would be the perfect wedding camera.

05-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
To make a long post short, I totally want to build my business around a medium format digital Pentax, and that will most likely be the Z. I think it shows in my images, and I think my clients will notice the difference.
Nice Photos. Just beware that the "look" may change with the new 645Z. Whether it changes a little or a lot remains to be seen.
05-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
I ran the files through vscofilm's E100G profile so it's not the color response of the CCD that I'm interested in, just the look of a larger sensor. I don't buy into that stuff with digital cameras, because with careful raw processing you can pretty much go anywhere you want with color.
05-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those shot do have a certain quality about them. Thanks for your post.

05-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice images. Good that you enjoyed the 645D.