Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

SMC Pentax-FA 645 35mm F3.5 AL [IF]

Dear all.

I am sure many users have experience with this lens on their 645D.

I am thinking of getting one for the 645Z. Any one willing to share their experiences with this lens? Particularly any notable issues or concerns?

I am primarily thinking of using it for landscapes. I am not willing to invest in the 25 F4 yet. 19mm (in 35 mm terms) might be a bit too wide for my liking.

I figure 28mm (in 35mm equals) would be the perfect match between landscape and sometimes street. If you are wondering what my lens set up is (I have the M240 + 21SE F3.4 + 50 lux + 28 cron). The 28 cron I use as a go between the 21 SE and 50 lux when light is decent and it's more for everyday roaming photography as well.

Appreciate the advice and photos.

Regards,
Jono

05-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #2

Hi there,
this lens is a bit tricky to use. If you can get hold of the 35 A (non AF) version, go for it. I own both and the old lens is better, lighter and easier to use. The field curvature of the 35 AF makes it very difficult to use.

Martin
05-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
Forum Member

I second the suggestion for the manual focus 35mm. I have found it is an excellent lens to use for landscapes and for landscapes you don't need auto focus anyway.

If you want some images using the 35mm, look at my web site using this link (to get just my 645D images) and look at the Maree set of three.

http://philcorleyphotography.com/gallery/search?keywords=645D
05-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was looking through a newly-published Japanese magazine (Nippon Camera) today and they had a round-up of the available Pentax 645 lenses. The lenses were rated out of a maximum of 5. The DA25mm, FA35mm and DA55mm got a 5. The FA45mm was considered weaker and got a 3. The reviewer commented on the 35mm's sharpness. There was no comparison with the older version of the 35mm that the previous posters mention. Hope this is helpful.

05-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I looked at that magazine briefly today but didn't notice the article about Pentax 645 lenses. I guess I'll have to go take another look. I don't buy it every month, but often do if it has interesting articles.
05-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It was definitely in one of the magazines that came out yesterday. I quickly flicked through them all today in the book shop, so I probably got mixed up about where I saw it. Actually, I do remember it was mentioned on the cover of whichever magazine it was in.
05-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mazwick Quote
Hi there,
this lens is a bit tricky to use. If you can get hold of the 35 A (non AF) version, go for it. I own both and the old lens is better, lighter and easier to use. The field curvature of the 35 AF makes it very difficult to use.

Martin
Thanks Martin. How bad would you describe the field curvature to be? Most of the time I shoot f8, f11. Does it get eliminated?

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I was looking through a newly-published Japanese magazine (Nippon Camera) today and they had a round-up of the available Pentax 645 lenses. The lenses were rated out of a maximum of 5. The DA25mm, FA35mm and DA55mm got a 5. The FA45mm was considered weaker and got a 3. The reviewer commented on the 35mm's sharpness. There was no comparison with the older version of the 35mm that the previous posters mention. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks JPT. Will try to get a copy of sorts.

05-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
Thanks Martin. How bad would you describe the field curvature to be? Most of the time I shoot f8, f11. Does it get eliminated?

Perhaps I'm being unobservant, but I notice nothing to be alarmed at with the FA35. Good sharp lens in my experience. Am waiting for the 645Z also, I already have the D, Just wish I was in Japan at the time of release so I could save some money on it. Ironically am in Korea until 28th so will just miss it and Korean prices aren't as good as Japanese ones. Had it been coming out sooner I would definitely have been tempted to take a flight to and from Tokyo to grab one, especially as Yodabashi will automatically deduce the 5% tax...
05-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Perhaps I'm being unobservant, but I notice nothing to be alarmed at with the FA35. Good sharp lens in my experience. Am waiting for the 645Z also, I already have the D, Just wish I was in Japan at the time of release so I could save some money on it. Ironically am in Korea until 28th so will just miss it and Korean prices aren't as good as Japanese ones. Had it been coming out sooner I would definitely have been tempted to take a flight to and from Tokyo to grab one, especially as Yodabashi will automatically deduce the 5% tax...
Wait so its releasing 28th of this month or June?
05-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wait so its releasing 28th of this month or June?
June is what I'm hearing for the UK. haven't heard any release date for Japan
05-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It was definitely in one of the magazines that came out yesterday. I quickly flicked through them all today in the book shop, so I probably got mixed up about where I saw it. Actually, I do remember it was mentioned on the cover of whichever magazine it was in.
OK, I'll take a closer look. I know one of them featured nudes on the first 10 pages or so, which was making me feel just a tad awkward in the store so I probably skipped thru it a little faster than usual!

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
June is what I'm hearing for the UK. haven't heard any release date for Japan
Fujiya Camera is saying late June and taking pre-orders at 777,000 yen. Yodobashi doesn't list a date but their price is 863,450. But you get 10% of that back in points that can be used immediately so the effective price is 777,105. This is pretty typical of these two stores.
05-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
OK, I'll take a closer look. I know one of them featured nudes on the first 10 pages or so, which was making me feel just a tad awkward in the store so I probably skipped thru it a little faster than usual!

Fujiya Camera is saying late June and taking pre-orders at 777,000 yen. Yodobashi doesn't list a date but their price is 863,450. But you get 10% of that back in points that can be used immediately so the effective price is 777,105. This is pretty typical of these two stores.
Wow. definitely wish I was in Japan at that time - that's £2k below the UK price. I am due in Tokyo in September/October - depends whether I can wait that long!
05-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #13

Hi there,
first some background information. My FA 35 copy was centered twice by pentax service. It is as good as this lens can be, that is the official statement by pentax germany (not pentax europe/france, they are ignorant).
The Field curvature never gets eliminated, especially if you focus closer than infinity. It is really difficult to use. Since I own the 35A I never used the 35FA again. I will trade it in as soon as I go for my next lens. I keep it for the unlikely case, that I need a wide angle with AF functionality.
The 35A is quite easy to obtain in the USA, very hard in europe. Save your money, buy a used copy of the 35A.
Nearly all user reviews of this lens on this or any other site will tell you the same.

the best (in terms of quality) and by the way the most affordable set up for landscape is: 35A and the FA45-85 zoom. Buy both lenses used and wait for the to be announced wideangle zoom. From 45-60 the zoom (at least my very beaten copy) is as good as the 55 mm Kit lens when you used it from 8 to 16.

Martin
05-22-2014, 03:04 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote

revdocjim, i remember you advice Ryan on this before. what are your thoughts on the 35FA versus 35A?
05-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #15

Hi jonojo,
I just checked you existing equipment. No kidding, but you will never be happy with the FA35. If you want, I can send you full res files from a 35a.