Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter

645 Viewfinder LED Not Working

OK, I bought a second-hand 645, loaded batteries in the grip. Everything seems to function except the aperture/shutter speed indicators that are supposed to be viewable thru the viewfinder. Tried touching the shutter release and also the LED button, but nothing. The manual I downloaded indicates there is a lithium battery in a compartment on the bottom of the camera but not it's function. Does this battery power the viewfinder LED, which means I try replacing it next? Or is there a bigger problem, which may mean I return the camera? Thanks in advance.

05-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First off, the lithium button battery in the bottom is only to store data when the camera is turned off if I'm not mistaken. But if it is depleted, it is very cheap to replace so you could start there. It's easy to do by yourself if you can get the compartment open. A caliper tool is best.
Secondly, with the original 645 battery insertion for the regular batteries in the grip is very odd. One of the six batteries gets inserted facing the opposite way of what you would expect. And I have discovered in the past that if that single battery is inserted the wrong way very strange things happen. You would expect it to be completely dead, but oddly, it will turn on, only it doesn't behave normally. I can't remember the details but it is very weird as I recall. So while the chances are low, I would suggest removing all the batteries one more time and then insert each one, paying very close attention to the little arrows indicating + and - positions for each one. There appears to be an alternating pattern and then one of them doesn't follow the pattern.

Another odd thing about this camera is that it doesn't quite act normal until you load a roll of film and advance it. But it sounds like you've already done this already. If none of these things help you may have a problem.