Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Mamiya 7 and RB 67 have 5 aperture blades. I guess if a person isn't aware of the pentagons, they will never spot them. Once you see them, you will always see them. Because of the sharpness and 5 aperture blades, Mamiyas are known for average bokeh. Yes, the do have shallow DoF, but they are 2 totally different things. Usually the softer the lens, the nicer the bokeh.

For example, I want to get a lens which has spinning bokeh, a lens which which has bad comma. Etc, simply for the unique way they draw bokeh.

06-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
fair enough. Fortunately pretty much all MF lenses are "old style" and never exhibit modern "onion ring" behaviors -- at least those MF lenses I have tested since 1976.

Or put another way: MF shooters take good "bokeh" for granted. Seems to be that rare DSLR lens that delivers the goods.

M

Well, the FA645 120/4 Macro has "onion rings" bokeh. Thats typical for highly corrected optics.

---------- Post added 06-13-14 at 04:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
For example, I want to get a lens which has spinning bokeh, a lens which which has bad comma. Etc, simply for the unique way they draw bokeh.

Actually, the FA 43/1.9 Limited was designed with aberations in order to give nice bokeh like pre computer age lenses....
06-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Mamiya 7 and RB 67 have 5 aperture blades.
But made much differently than the Zeiss. Many of my Zeiss for the 500C/M are straighter and sharp tipped. The Mamiya have more curvature and large, round -blunt- ends especially the 150mm.
06-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #94

I am interested in this camera, so, if anyone has any RAW shots with it, please PM me – I promise full discretion, and nothing shared with me will be re-shared with anyone else without explicit permission.

I realize that this may be a bit premature, and that nobody may have ANYTHING yet, but if you do, or if you will obtain some, and are willing to share, please PM me.

06-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheGoldbloom Quote
I am interested in this camera, so, if anyone has any RAW shots with it, please PM me – I promise full discretion, and nothing shared with me will be re-shared with anyone else without explicit permission.

I realize that this may be a bit premature, and that nobody may have ANYTHING yet, but if you do, or if you will obtain some, and are willing to share, please PM me.
No disrespect intended, but that's hell of an ask for a first post!
06-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm intrigued by this camera but have no plans to get one soon. I can't justify the investment currently, but kind of wish I could.
What is more likely for me is picking up a 645D if I can find one and a couple of lenses that fits my budget. If that works out well financially I could see upgrading bodies if I feel like I'm sold on MF at that point.
I have printed a few large multi-panel pieces at more than 100" wide. To get that kind of resolution I was stitching together panoramas. I could see where a little more detail with fewer frames could come in handy. Or if I was photographing something that didn't work as well with stitching and we wanted a really big print, this might be the way to go. I also have a little bit of gear lust, so I have to remember that before I do anything rash.

A fairly successful photographer friend of mine who shoots Canon FF was pretty interested in the 645Z as well, which kind of surprised me. He used to shoot film MF and still has the gear but hasn't used it in a while. He hasn't used a Pentax camera since about 1980. He used the phrase "game changer" based on sensitivity, resolution, portability, and price. He said if it lives up to the hype he might have to get one. I hope he does because I'd get to check it out!
06-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I would think there would be more interest here in the Z.

I may be interested in moving up from the 645D if the high ISO is in order in the Z. The low ISO of the D was always a hardship for me when shooing in dim light. But the sensor in the D gives some pretty painterly images that I wonder may be missing in the Z.

Are you considering purchasing a Z?
Money
Money
Money
Money....

Money!

06-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Money
Money
Money
Money....

Money!
or, my favorite:
06-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This was a surprise. I went to the Midwest Photo Exchange (MPEX) website tonight and they were advertising the 645Z as available for pre-order on their front page. That's interesting because they haven't carried Pentax since I've been going to the store. They do carry some other medium format lines, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leaf, and Calumet. They carry nearly everything but Pentax in DSLR and mirrorless. I frequently go to the actual store when I'm in Columbus because even though they don't carry Pentax, they have about everything else, lots of tripods and heads, bags, lighting and other studio equipment. They did order a K mount Tamron lens for me last year.

I'll keep an eye on the 645Z because they have a lot of demos with reps, in house and at shows.